Anyone interested in helping send a young player to China?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you haven't already, you should help make a kid's dream come true by playing in a world event, half a world away. Support the next generation :)

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish her well, but $7,500 for a 3 day event in Shanghai? I've stayed there for 6 months on less than that.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shanghai

I wish her well, but $7,500 for a 3 day event in Shanghai? I've stayed there for 6 months on less than that.

1. She is a kid she won't be staying in the same places you and I would.

2 does your trip costs include airfare, costs of a visa? Going to go with probably not.

7500 for 4 days in Asia is a pretty good deal, seeing as how when I flew home with my family for Christmas I paid almost 10 grand for a 2 1/2 trip home.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm thinking round trip plane fare for a kid and one parent to China is pretty pricy.

What's odd is that she finished in 4th and got a spot, they normally give out spots to the top 2. There were maybe 18 girls or less in the event in both age groups, they need to get those numbers up, the 15-18 boys had 54.

My son keeps telling me he is going in a wig next time since he only needs 3-4 wins to win the whole thing LOL

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeez if you have flown round trip to China <from the US,and stayed 6 months for less then 7500. , you should write a book about how! Probably be a best seller as there isnt much competition in the non-fiction category.:p

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez if you have flown round trip to China <from the US,and stayed 6 months for less then 7500. , you should write a book about how! Probably be a best seller as there isnt much competition in the non-fiction category.:p
I lived in Shanghai for 6 years and flew in and out several times.

I assumed they'd provide a mentor / minder if they want to send a squad. Perhaps the organizers booked 5 star accommodation or are taking percentages to fund officials. Gawd knows, but I've friends who have travelled to Asia for pool events many times for a third of this amount.

Colin

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridicule

Guys. Common. This young lady as well as several others, have a great opportunity here. If you want to ridicule and be a pain in the ass, don't give and move on. Pool players are such pansies sometimes. They whine more than high school girls getting dumped by their first boyfriend.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in Shanghai for 6 years and flew in and out several times.

I assumed they'd provide a mentor / minder if they want to send a squad. Perhaps the organizers booked 5 star accommodation or are taking percentages to fund officials. Gawd knows, but I've friends who have travelled to Asia for pool events many times for a third of this amount.

Colin

Far as I know, the cost to send the kids they send to Worlds from the US is on the parents of the kids selected. Most do fund raisers, our room had one for the 2 kids from our area that qualified last year. Don't know the details about what the BEF or other organizations provides over that.

Seems like the cost for 2 plane tickets is about $2,000 round trip. Unless there are more than 2 people going, 7,500 is a bit much for a week long trip, there is no way hotel and food and even tourist stuff would be $5,000.

I do have to say that there is pretty much 0 chance of the US beating the Asian kids. The Asian kids have been playing under structured practice and tournament conditions since they start playing pool. No-one in the US outside of the top few boys has a chance of beating them. While we have people that qualify to go to the World Juniors, the skill level gap is huge, at least on the girls side.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read her story today on Facebook and thought it would be cool to try and help her out. Anyone interested here is the link.

http://www.gofundme.com/wfrtajw4

I don't give money to people just because they want it. There has to be an actual need. Tell here to get a job.
That "GoFund" crap for people who just want something for nothing is getting pretty old. In fact I actually just read an interesting article about it.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't give money to people just because they want it. There has to be an actual need. Tell here to get a job.
That "GoFund" crap for people who just want something for nothing is getting pretty old. In fact I actually just read an interesting article about it.

That's why I let the thread die here. I don't know the young lady, just know she is local and figured I would try to help her raise a little money to make the trip happen. I should have known better than to post it here. :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, you drew me in. How exactly is this offensive to you?

Because there are actually people who have genuine needs. People who beg for some self-serving meaningless purpose are offensive. As far as the Gofund goes, there are so many people on there now with their, "Give me money because I want it" scams, people are now skeptical to even give to those with genuine needs.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because there are actually people who have genuine needs. People who beg for some self-serving meaningless purpose are offensive. As far as the Gofund goes, there are so many people on there now with their, "Give me money because I want it" scams, people are now skeptical to even give to those with genuine needs.

So don't donate, donate to the ones that you believe in, or donate to all. There is no one forcing you to donate to any cause. I'm sure there are many scams and such on there but then again I'm the type of guy that will give some random homeless guy out there a few dollars, I don't go back and make sure he bought the food and water he told me he was going to. Hell, I'm sure most run into the store and by a drink. It's money I felt I could afford and what brightens someone's day is worth the few dollars.

I don't think I will ever understand some of these negative stances some people take. If you don't like something scroll on. I understand we aren't all wired the same and some of us are more vocal, I just find it funny that you would equate a young lady ( who probably didn't know all the costs involved in going to China from South Dakota so just threw a number in that might be in the ball park) to a random scammer on the web. To each there own. I'll just agree to disagree.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry but it is actually offensive. They now have a name for it, "Cyber begging". That is exactly whet it is.

http://anewscafe.com/2015/03/25/go-...o-fund-me-type-programs-merely-cyber-begging/

LOL. I love how you say "I read an interesting article about [this]" and then link to this. Despite the fact that your article is from ANewsCafe, I clicked anyway. The first sentence: "Let me preface this by warning you this is a venting piece." The next 1,000 words are little more than a *****y rant based on one person's opinion.

But to be fair, I agree. It seems like tons of people are abusing (for lack of a better term) the online crowdfunding sites for ridiculously foolish/selfish needs. For example, a "friend" of mine asked me to donate to HER crowdfunding page. She wants to gather $10,000 so she can write a book. My response was "I'll send you a few pens and some paper or better yet... you can have my old laptop and type it all out and save the hand cramps."

Still, what you and the author of this article are talking about (my example above) is markedly different than what this young girl is doing. She's not some 20-something hoping to get some free money to go on a super-awesome spring break trip with friends. She's not asking people to give her a small salary so she can sit on a beach and write. She's a young girl with limited resources and a tight window in which to raise money. Its not like she has a 9-5, $75k a year job. She's 14. She's lucky if she has a job that pays her $10 an hour. But she's been given an opportunity/invitation to play in a major event half a world away. And not many 14 yr. olds have that kind of money OR many options to raise that money in a small amount of time. I see nothing wrong with what she's doing. More power to her.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry but it is actually offensive. They now have a name for it, "Cyber begging". That is exactly whet it is.

http://anewscafe.com/2015/03/25/go-...o-fund-me-type-programs-merely-cyber-begging/

Youth sports aren't self-funded through ticket sales. Don't you have kids - or were you never a kid yourself - and did fundraising via "begging" the neighbors? Sometimes for your money you get something like popcorn or a coupon book, sometimes not, but it's just a token and you're really just supporting them by giving them money. And even then the popcorn or coupon book is usually "begged" from some company too. A lot of people like to give money to support things - sports, arts, etc. - that they like. Don't you ever give money for things like that?

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried to give you some rep but it says I haven't spread myself around enough. You are better with words than I.

I haven't checked the link in the last couple days but it looks like the total trying to be raised is around 5k which seems a little more in line with what some are saying here.