APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Or anyone who is dating a pro player.

LOL

Arbitrary is the key word here folks.

Just like no one can sign away or agree to not have recourse to negligence, there could be a lot more legality involved that just a disclaimer by the APA that they reserve the right to disqialify anyone they deem to be playing above their ability.

Jaden

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you calling sleinen a liar? He's pretty much the intellectual I interact most with on social media, and he told me that's the deal. I trust him more than I trust some troll on AZBilliards. People like you are why he doesn't post here any more. And the APA happened to overlook another player on one of the top 4 teams who showed up for (and played on) the stream drunk off their gourd....

Stop being combative. The POINT is... This team got booted out of the tournament.. No recourse. No prize money for the place they had achieved. The APA apparently doesn't have any concept of "rising to the occasion", so, what? Is every match supposed to be 100% random? Then why are they f**king playing pool for a title, then? Why not just charge every team their entry fee and just play rock, paper, scissors for the title? Or maybe flip coins?

I guess it is completely out of the realm of possibility that the team might have earned their spot, and then put in a concerted practice regimen to actually make a good attempt at WINNING. Any non-pro/semipro player can move their skill level up 50 Fargo points or more with a good few weeks of practice.

Turns out Sean isn’t a liar. You are. Completely misstated almost every facet of the story. You should be ashamed for making such erroneous, misleading statements.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
For those who haven't heard..sleinen on here was on an APA team (against his better judgement), and made a run all the way to the finals in the APA national 8 ball championship, only to get disqualified by the APA, all prize monies revoked, and a two year ban.Plus, apparently his League Operator gets a $25,000 fine?

For those who do not know Sean, he is exceedingly honest person, and would never sandbag under any circumstances. (I believe he is the highest rated player on the team anyways.. I believe him when he says that his team simply rose to the challenge and showed a lot of heart.

The APA is such a complete and utter joke.

-Shortbusruss

Sean is a friend. Over the many opportunities we've had to talk I've found him to be intelligent beyond belief. He's posted here about his APA journey over the months leading up to his Vegas visit. I quit APA two years ago because I found them to be disingenuous regarding player ratings and payouts. Their whole system is rigged to make money for APA, not the players. Sad to see Sean and his team treated in such a way.

Wonder if he or his team was warned about the player rating problem in advance of the final match? Someone had to complain. Just sad!

Lyn

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to single you out but...

-Sean Leinen did not play or have any affiliation with the DQ'd team (otehr than being friends)

-Sean only has an 8 ball rating (SL6) but that has no bearing on this because he was not in the 9 Ball event

-Sean was not screwed, hosed or even squirted on

*Edit- Oops, Sixpack beat me to this post

Eric >to clarify

Russ said Sean got screwed. I saw that and Sean's reply and thought he got screwed.

One thing about his post was funny. He said the best player on the winning team was drunk and misbehaving. Isn't that mandatory in the APA rules - you must have at least one drunken idiot on your team?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Play VNEA?
Same crappy tables but the regular payouts are better.
Winning in Vegas pays less but you can't get DQ'd.
You may get raised to the next level but only after you finish top 8 at the world's - and get paid.
We had a local girl in the APA, a 4 I think, who had this happen to her too. Played the best pool of her life. She
got DQ'd and a ban. She wasn't a bagger and most of her friends were from league. The APA sucks. I'm sure some thieving league operator will defend it to the death but it still sucks compared to most all other leagues out there.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Russ said Sean got screwed. I saw that and Sean's reply and thought he got screwed.

One thing about his post was funny. He said the best player on the winning team was drunk and misbehaving. Isn't that mandatory in the APA rules - you must have at least one drunken idiot on your team?

I’m not sure that guy was drunk, he was just a little eccentric and excited

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Play VNEA?
Same crappy tables but the regular payouts are better.
Winning in Vegas pays less but you can't get DQ'd.
You may get raised to the next level but only after you finish top 8 at the world's - and get paid.
We had a local girl in the APA, a 4 I think, who had this happen to her too. Played the best pool of her life. She
got DQ'd and a ban. She wasn't a bagger and most of her friends were from league. The APA sucks. I'm sure some thieving league operator will defend it to the death but it still sucks compared to most all other leagues out there.

A lot of people would agree with you, and still a lot of people would disagree with you.
I think that like most things it is what what you make of it. It can be a bad or good
experience.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing that 9 pages were devoted to 'leagues' !
Leagues weren't started for fun.
They were started to make money !
And that is what they do very well.
They fill pool rooms nite after nite for money.
Now, in this day, they keep a lot of rooms alive.
But for me, its sad that pool has been turned into bowling !
Pushout forever !

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing that 9 pages were devoted to 'leagues' !
Leagues weren't started for fun.
They were started to make money !
And that is what they do very well.
They fill pool rooms nite after nite for money.
Now, in this day, they keep a lot of rooms alive.
But for me, its sad that pool has been turned into bowling !
Pushout forever !

I would love pool to turn into bowling success wise.
Bowling ally’s in my town. 5 (and more not far out of town)
Pool halls in my town. 0

If you want pool to thrive someone has to make money

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member

Yep. That's the "A" in APA!

Eric

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I've been a friend of Sean's for years and can say unequivocally that he would never be associated with cheating at pool in any form.

I didn't read this entire thread but whatever Sean's role was, non-player, friend of the team, cheerleader, it doesn't really matter as far as believe-ability in what he says. If Sean is telling how things went, you should believe him.

It does sound crappy how things went for this team, imo.

I played APA league for just a couple of sessions many years ago and when I was asked to dumb-down my play a few times, I knew I wasn't gonna be involved for long.

best,
brian kc

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. That's the "A" in APA!

Eric

48583955611_bee7b2a8e1_z.jpg

Hint, there is usually a line at the bar with APA in the morning hours. :thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
No official statement from the APA.

Whatever happen, the APA got paid.

When its time for the losers to go home either by loss or DQ isn't a concern?

There are lots of sides to the debate and the APA has not presented their official version of the events.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No official statement from the APA.

Whatever happen, the APA got paid.

When its time for the losers to go home either by loss or DQ isn't a concern?

There are lots of sides to the debate and the APA has not presented their official version of the events.
They don’t have to present anything. That’s the rule. Period.