Archer Just Played You Safe...What Would You Do?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Here's a situation in 9B that taught me a great deal. How would you react to this situation?

I would like to see how a few people respond before I reveal the "answer"...assuming you trust Efren's "answer" is the "best answer" anyway.

If you've seen this shot before, please don't reveal Efren's response.

CueTable Help

 
Last edited:
i'll reveal my weakness. i would, assuming your layout is true, go rail first and try kiss it in the side pocket where it lays making sure i hit it as opposed to making it thereby leaving a tough shot if/when i miss.

then again, i'm a shot maker who don't know any better than trying to make every ball.
 
I would try a 2 rail kick shot to make the one in the side. Either straight at short rail with right to get the angle on the opposite short rail or a left english below the 3 ball to stiffen up on opposite short rail. 2nd option as below ... But if shooter can see rail behind 1 ball then kick as jondrums suggests below.

CueTable Help

 
Last edited:

CueTable Help



Am I dreaming? yeah, but I think there's a pretty good chance of leaving a very tough shot even if I don't get behind the eight. Major sellout if the one doesn't make it to the rail though.

Other option would be a very similar shot, but try to kick into upper right corner. My chances are pretty low to make that shot though, and a miss is a sellout.

Looking forward to hearing other options...

Jon
 
jondrums said:

CueTable Help



Am I dreaming? yeah, but I think there's a pretty good chance of leaving a very tough shot even if I don't get behind the eight. Major sellout if the one doesn't make it to the rail though.

Other option would be a very similar shot, but try to kick into upper right corner. My chances are pretty low to make that shot though, and a miss is a sellout.

Looking forward to hearing other options...

Jon
I would try your 1st choice, then empty all the lint I could find in my and others pockets...spread it all over the table and let him wear himself out. Johnnyt
 
coopdeville- scratching in the oposite side scares me more than leaving an open but tough shot on the 1. I suppose you could just make sure to "overcut" it to be sure not to lose the cue in the side.
 
Although I don't want to imply that the rail-first is the shot Efren chose, I can tell you that rail-first shots are far more powerful than people give them credit for. In fact, people rarely consider them.

I suggested such a shot in the following thread and it received a luke-warm response...even after I posted a vid proving it was a (remarkably) simple shot to carry out and is certainly worthy of consideration. I even used a house cue in the vid and it worked the best of any shot I tried.

After I emplored people to just try the shot and see for themselves, I began receiving PM's with very complimentary messages. You will see that those comments did not make it to the actual thread though...I wonder if those people are trying to keep the lesson to themselves?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=74559

CueTable Help

 
It's inexplicable to me how Efren saw this or had the nerve to shoot it, but he called the shot before he pulled the trigger (you know how he points the tip of his cue at where the CB will land). He laid the tip of his cue behind the 5 and rolled this shot like it was nothing!

CueTable Help

 
Neil said:
I would attempt to kick it in the side. If I make it, I'm out. If I hit it just a little to full. it goes over by the 6 for the safe.

i like this better :D :D
 
mosconiac said:
After I emplored people to just try the shot and see for themselves, I began receiving PM's with very complimentary messages. You will see that those comments did not make it to the actual thread though...I wonder if those people are trying to keep the lesson to themselves?


Hey, mine did, But, I told a few select friends. After that , mums the word. Shhhhh. Quiet. Don't say any more. Hush. Knock it off...:D
 
Back
Top