Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its amazing how profitable those machines can be.
Yeah I took them out of my pool room when I bought it. The guy I sold it to years later put them back in and made like three times the money I was making.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If there are a number of restaurant options in close proximity, the food/beverage operation must be of very good quality and value. That is the only way they are going to have a chance to make it. 85%-90% of their revenue will come from food and beverage.
The food at MBC was always really good quality and unique. The problem was the mismanagement. You would come some days and half the menu would not be available because they hadn't ordered the right amount of food.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The key to any successful pool hall is league play 4+ nights a week and then saturday night events. Pool players(non-league players) rarely buy food and drinks which is the bread and butter to the success of a pool hall.

Jaden

Cuedup

Agreed.

In general, casual pool players are there for a short period of time. League play, several hours. Tournament play can hold an audience captive for 6 hours, 12 hours or more. Multiple days even.

Even cheap assed pool players need to eat.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct, and that same old pool loving friend from Iowa re-branded his massive investment by totally deemphasizing "Pool the Game" and emphasizing "Modern and Social". Sorry, but pool don't sell to today's crowd.
Being that close to ASU makes sense to go after that crowd. Rich kids with mom-n-dad's credit card.

Scrunge19

Registered
The key to any successful pool hall is league play 4+ nights a week and then saturday night events. Pool players(non-league players) rarely buy food and drinks which is the bread and butter to the success of a pool hall.

Jaden
So basically the complete opposite of what my local room does lol. They’ve run off the majority of the league teams and don’t hold any tournaments or events 🙄. They’re the only gig in town though so I guess they don’t have to try too hard.

crazy8legs

Registered
Where are you playing at? I shoot at BreakTime in Cary, tables just got covered today with new Simonis. Slick and easy for a little while!

I've played everywhere here really, but now Break Time, Buck's, Pantanas, and High House primarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Memo to Johnny Archer for his new room: I played on an APA team at Marietta Billiards Club in 2007-2008. Six out of eight of our team members were heavy smokers. However, they had trouble breathing at MBC because the air was so smoky, the smoke eating machines in the ceilings being out of order or turned off. So we moved our team to another pool room.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JA just posted a new video on his FB page from inside his new joint. Still a lot to go but work is getting done. He's pushed opening date to July.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JA just posted a new video on his FB page from inside his new joint. Still a lot to go but work is getting done. He's pushed opening date to July.
By the looks of the place in his video, a July opening does not seem very realistic to me. Did Johnny insinuate that Rodney Morris is also an investor in this pool room, if anyone knows? If true, that would be awesome to have another well known pro pool player who would assumedely share the responsibilities of being around and making sure the room is being run up to expectations.

Hopefully Johnny has learned from previous mistakes that himself in addition to a highly competent and experienced general manager needs to be on premises virtually all the time, to have any chance for this pool room and bar / F&B operation to succeed.

Unless the key employees are $ compensated extremely well, no one shares the passion, motivation and attention to detail necessary for any business to succeed as the owners / investors do!

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not saying that a very famous pro player name in any sport will do anything for the success of a business in terms of food quality, service, etc. - what I am certain though, is that many FIRST time customers, tourist customers, sports oriented customers, etc. WILL likely gravitate to an establishment at least initially as part of their being a fan of a particular sport or pro player legend. I can guarantee you that thousands of people in the NYC area and tourists alike went to Mickey Mantle's when it first opened because of the name affiliation- the same was also the case in Stamford Ct with Bobby Valentine's restaurant/bars. In both cases the food and service was very good and they developed significant repeat business from those initial fan visits to their establishments.
Also, sports legend namesake establishments often are littered with sports memorabilia , sports TV broadcasting, etc. etc. that draw folks in for their general love of a specific sport. Bobby Valentines establishments in Stamford Ct was a treasure trove of sports memorabilia.
The pro player also has to be the "house pro". They need to be available for professional lessons. Private, and small group lessons. If its reasonably priced, the league teams might eat it up. I would.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pro player also has to be the "house pro". They need to be available for professional lessons. Private, and small group lessons. If its reasonably priced, the league teams might eat it up. I would.
Yes, in the case of a billiard establishment- having some pro's name on the door itself is useless unless the pro will be readily available to mix often with customers. However, the pro should be the type that can vocalize pool instructions in a manner that can be translated into concrete imagery by the students.

I have come across more than one pro pool player who just could not verbalize what they do in a manner that others would be able to put into action. Mark Wilson's " Play Great Pool" is THE definitive work on how to verbalize and demonstrate the true fundamentals of playing pool at a high level consistently. I have taken a few lessons from a few different pros going back many years ago- I realize now after reading Mark's book- how little I actually learned for those guys - not their fault - they were pool players, not natural born or educated instructors.

Telling someone to hold the cue lightly in their back hand and just " let the stick do the work" does not really explain how to properly perform a cue stroke. There is no substitute for someone who really knows HOW to educate on a particular subject.

I think, for most, though, just having ready access to a pro in a pool room would be enough entertainment to keep folks coming back.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, in the case of a billiard establishment- having some pro's name on the door itself is useless unless the pro will be readily available to mix often with customers. However, the pro should be the type that can vocalize pool instructions in a manner that can be translated into concrete imagery by the students.

I have come across more than one pro pool player who just could not verbalize what they do in a manner that others would be able to put into action. Mark Wilson's " Play Great Pool" is THE definitive work on how to verbalize and demonstrate the true fundamentals of playing pool at a high level consistently. I have taken a few lessons from a few different pros going back many years ago- I realize now after reading Mark's book- how little I actually learned for those guys - not their fault - they were pool players, not natural born or educated instructors.

Telling someone to hold the cue lightly in their back hand and just " let the stick do the work" does not really explain how to properly perform a cue stroke. There is no substitute for someone who really knows HOW to educate on a particular subject.

I think, for most, though, just having ready access to a pro in a pool room would be enough entertainment to keep folks coming back.
Very true. Maybe a pro with an instructor's certification? Again, I depends on the pro. And if they want the pool hall to succeed, they should be prepared to be able to teach.

And just teaching a technique isnt enough. They need to be able to read their students and individualize the lessons.

Sweetwater II

Months ago I heard Rodney was a partner but I do not know if that is still the case or not. I played at MBC for a few years before he closed, I played in the Tap league at night and often 14.1 during the day. I had a couple of lessons from Johnny and he is not a teacher. There was no such thing as “management”, hence he lost the whole kit and caboodle. I just don’t believe the demographics are there in cartersville to make a successful go, but that remains to be seen.

Reactions: JAM

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Months ago I heard Rodney was a partner but I do not know if that is still the case or not. I played at MBC for a few years before he closed, I played in the Tap league at night and often 14.1 during the day. I had a couple of lessons from Johnny and he is not a teacher. There was no such thing as “management”, hence he lost the whole kit and caboodle. I just don’t believe the demographics are there in cartersville to make a successful go, but that remains to be seen.
That doesn’t sound encouraging unless Johnny has learned his lesson to hire and pay the right, qualified people to manage the operation. I would surely think that the other investors in this venture would insist on that happening.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read yesterday or the day before that Rodney was en route to Johnny Archer's pool room, and that he is, indeed, a partner.

The pool room in Marietta had great opportunity, I think, but it was not being managed correctly. There needed to be more hands-on by Johnny and others in his circle at that time.

Good food is key. This will attract many to play pool and hang there while enjoying a nice meal. I'm not a fan of alcoholic beverages in pool rooms, but I realize this is necessary for profit reasons. I hope they have a variety of non-alcoholic drinks too. e.g., fresh coffee, sweet Southern tea, smoothies. One thing I hope they do is make it a no-smoking place. I think that's pretty much the law in most States of the Union. If there's smoking, then many people, families, and others won't be going there on a regular basis.

I'm not sure of the location, but I know most of the successful pool rooms are located near community colleges and universities, giving young folk a place to hang out. If Johnny and Rodney can get this crowd in the joint, I think it will be successful. Look at Snooker's in Rhode Island, right smack in the middle of over a dozen colleges and universities within a 10-minute drive.

Last but not least, no pool room should go without leagues. They need league nights to keep the pool culture going. I hope this will not be another bar. I'd like to see a "real" pool room come to the fore, but that's just me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read yesterday or the day before that Rodney was en route to Johnny Archer's pool room, and that he is, indeed, a partner.

The pool room in Marietta had great opportunity, I think, but it was not being managed correctly. There needed to be more hands-on by Johnny and others in his circle at that time.

Good food is key. This will attract many to play pool and hang there while enjoying a nice meal. I'm not a fan of alcoholic beverages in pool rooms, but I realize this is necessary for profit reasons. I hope they have a variety of non-alcoholic drinks too. e.g., fresh coffee, sweet Southern tea, smoothies. One thing I hope they do is make it a no-smoking place. I think that's pretty much the law in most States of the Union. If there's smoking, then many people, families, and others won't be going there on a regular basis.

I'm not sure of the location, but I know most of the successful pool rooms are located near community colleges and universities, giving young folk a place to hang out. If Johnny and Rodney can get this crowd in the joint, I think it will be successful. Look at Snooker's in Rhode Island, right smack in the middle of over a dozen colleges and universities within a 10-minute drive.

Last but not least, no pool room should go without leagues. They need league nights to keep the pool culture going. I hope this will not be another bar. I'd like to see a "real" pool room come to the fore, but that's just me.
Food is a key but you HAVE to have a good hands-on mgr. Whether its Johnny or someone he chooses you need a no-shit drill-seargent style person at the helm. Keep it clean and make sure staff is there on time. I'd also make sure employees DO NOT fk with their phones unless on break. I hate waiting on food and find the damn sever is jacking with their cell.