Are Kamui Clear tips a gimmick???

staypuff578

Team Ramrod
Silver Member
You changed a super-soft into a medium by breaking with it for a few weeks? interesting.

Nope, and if my post came off like that then I worded it wrong. I've been crushing balls with it to try to smash it a firmer. And to me, which I don't have much experience, it now plays like the medium tip I had on there before. It feels better, and I'm more comfortable with it. Maybe I got used to it, but it seems to play a bit firmer. Hope I worded this one right lol.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I had a SuperSoft Clear installed on my OBClassic shaft. Love it.

But last week a friend warned me that my tip was falling off my cue. He saw daylight between the ferule and the tip. He assumed it was separation. :grin:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading these posts, I don't know what to do but since I'm already committed,
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been playing with Kamui Black (medium) and
the tip plays a little harder than I prefer and the glazing is annoying indeed.

I have an expensive custom cue being built and I sent my cue-maker two Kamui
Clear Tips (soft) thinking to myself that both the design and performance would be
better. However, after reading these posts, I am starting to wonder whether I should
have switched to Kamui Black (soft or ss) or Kamui Clear in a ss instead of the soft
version I sent my cue-maker. I do not want to switch tips after I get the cue in 60
days.....been waiting seven months......because I'm not allowing anyone except the
original cue-maker repair my cue and that includes the tips. Maybe 4-5 years from
now I'll feel different about letting someone change the tips but not now after having
spent some serious money to have my cue made.

Oh well, I'm not sure whether switching to the clear version was smart or that a ss
hardness wouldn't have played better for me. One thing is sure, since I play with
Kamui Black (med) and it works, I know that the Kamui Clear will work for me. But
since this was a special project cue, it would have been wonderful to get it right
while the cue was still in the hands of my cue-maker being built.....all I can do is
hope I like the change and the overall look of the Kamui Clear on 1" ivory ferrules.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Duh. Thank you all...I new that...not. Johnnyt

PS: Good old Triangles for me.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Ultaskin has a pro tip in the line up. Anyone tried the pro tip out?
Regardless, I'm ordering some.

Rob.M

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
but the clear layer prevents glue wicking and it guarantees a flat install.

Sure Kim.

If a repairman can't prep a tip properly and make it flat for an install, what would make you think that he can face a ferrule off flat to accept the tip.

Trust me, this has never been a problem for repairmen. If it is a problem to make both the ferrule and tip flat, maybe they shouldn't be installing tips.

You do realize that in one way, the relative hard bottom of a tip that has been prepped is going to be attached to the hard flat surface of the ferrule.
The Kamui clear pad is going to be attached to the flat hard surface of the ferrule. Do you think that the clear pad should or shouldn't get a light scuff
to make it better for the glue to adhere or not. Same difference.

Tell ya what. I bet that its just another of Kanuis fine marketing gimmicks. Just like the over priced chalk that they sell.

Anyone can choose to put either a real carbon fiber or a fiber pad under their tip if they like.

Kamui must use some magic glue that is not available to anyone else.

Tips, specially Pig skin tips are prepped for a reason.

When a tip is prepped for an install, the glue will wick up half to a full layer at the bottom of the tip.

How will a small hard layer at the bottom of a tip (from glue) affect play any more than a hard acrylic pad at the bottom of the tip?

If with the advent of a clear pad at the bottom of their tips prevent screwed up installs, does that render the rest of their tip line that don't have a pad, useless?

When people talk about glue wicking up into a tip, the glue isn't going half way up a tip. You knew that tho, right.

Trust me, if a person can tell the difference in how a tip plays between a tip that has been prepped with a a thin glue or a pad or installed with a Gel glue. Than they have a pretty sensitive touch.

I believe that if you go to Seyberts site, you will see that the Ultra Skin out sells the Kamui tips.

Must be a reason for that eh.

So far, I have re installed two Kamui tips that were installed in Vegas that popped shortly there after. Guess they weren't prepped properly.
Both are still on the owners shafts.

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally found a Denver dealer with a cue lathe. Unfortunately, they don't stock my usual tip; a Moori soft.
Does anyone have any opinions regarding this Kamui tip???

I'm not finding any density ratings, and I'm also wondering if this tip is going to glaze over as quickly as some suggest they experience with a Kamui tip? The glazing issue is often mentioned by users as well as a few installers which I've contacted.

In the copy below, nothing really performance related is mentioned, except for the hair splitting suggestion of a superior attachment and alignment.

Thank you so much for your inputs...

Kamui Clear Black Soft
• Achieve further consistency by limting
the glue absorbed into the bottom layers of the tip.
• No sanding of the bottom layer is needed.
• Easy installation due to the flat surface of the glue side.
• Minimal amount of glue guarantees a perfectly aligned
installation to achieve the designed tip and cue performance.
• For installation, use liquid base super glue like Loctite 401 or Loctite PROFESSIONAL, in order to maximize the adhesion to the Kamui Clear tip. Using the gel type super glue tends to be too thick resulting in longer drying time and a weak bond.

MINIMUM RETAIL PRICE $23.00
View attachment 313583
IMO, they are awesome and feel different then the regular KB. What I love about these tips is when you hit the cueball on the outer
edge, it feels like your hitting center ball.Every shot feels solid with no odd feeling
ever. Best tip I've ever played with.BTW mines a medium.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Wow, and to think how great a player Shane might be if he got rid of those darn Triangles.

I'm going to the shop right now and tossing out at least a thousand in tip stock and installing nothing but Kamui tips in the future. NOT!

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, and to think how great a player Shane might be if he got rid of those darn Triangles.

I'm going to the shop right now and tossing out at least a thousand in tip stock and installing nothing but Kamui tips in the future. NOT!

Shane could play with no tip and still run out:) Out of all the Kamui tips I really like this one.There are some great tips out there.Its strange though, I play with a Predator shaft
and find a medium tip plays best. If I use a maple shaft I need a tip that's super-hard.
For years I loved compressed elkmasters.It all depends on your style of play.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I believe you 120%.

Its the willingness of the Kool Aide Drinkers that buy into all the Hype of new products that keep mucho dinero in other peoples pockets.

No big deal. I install one Ultra Skin tip and a week later, I have people asking for the same tip that their buddy has.

Honestly, I have never had even one person ask me if I carry Kamui tips. The answer would be a big NO of course. They would just sit in the tool box.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
― What is your first impression for KAMUI Clear?
When I began using KAMUI Clear, the only way to put into words the sensation experienced was, Connection! My arm and cue became one and could feel the cue ball.
―  What benefits do you see in KAMUI Clear
The benefits I feel are simply clear ! Repeatable, consistent, performance. This mixture brings success!
― What can KAMUI Clear bring to your game?
The better feel you obtain the more you play, the more you play, the better you become, the better you are the more opportunities you have to win! Let your imagination come to life.
― Any advice to the other players?
The piece of advice to help one achieve their own style and best game is to find what you like.
Try everything and anything when it comes to equipment. Give yourself a chance to fall in love, and when you do, it will show through your play !
Don’t be afraid to ask great players questions, its a sign of intelligence and any great player that knows why he is great will recognize this and be happy to answer you.And always be honest and hold yourself 100% accountable for your actions and learn from them!

- Hunter Lombardo

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you 120%.

Its the willingness of the Kool Aide Drinkers that buy into all the Hype of new products that keep mucho dinero in other peoples pockets.

No big deal. I install one Ultra Skin tip and a week later, I have people asking for the same tip that their buddy has.

Honestly, I have never had even one person ask me if I carry Kamui tips. The answer would be a big NO of course. They would just sit in the tool box.

Your right, I've let people hit with a certain shaft and they want the same tip
on there shaft. I always tell them, you may like the feel of the tip but your liking
the hit of it when its on my shaft. They end up putting it on there's and its not the same.
The price of them are nuts and most guys that play in a league would never spend 40 plus to have one put on.
They want a $10 dollar Lepro and $30 in Beer:smile:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I had a SuperSoft Clear installed on my OBClassic shaft. Love it.

But last week a friend warned me that my tip was falling off my cue. He saw daylight between the ferule and the tip. He assumed it was separation. :grin:

That light thing was the hardest thing to get past about the Kamui clear. That is really distracting when you get down to shoot and take a few strokes, to me it looks lie the tip is sort of bent, it's weird. Love the tip though

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Do wonder if the clear pad is heavier than the 2 layers of tip it replaced or is it just added to the bottom of an existing Kamui??

Since end mass effects deflection I have been putting thicker pads on shafts if I felt I wanted a little more deflection out of... Not had time to test how much weight per degree but that's gotta be a formula of some type =)

Saw the Hunter thing and Hunter is sponsored by Kamui... Not saying he doesn't believe everything printed....

Chris "I just loved playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping pong paddle..."

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Kamui Blacks are by far the best tips I've personally ever used.. I cannot feel any difference between the Kamui Black and Kamui Clear Black, even though I do understand the theory about the glue unevenly wicking into the leather and creating 'hard' spots..

I could easily be wrong, but I was fairly sure Shane uses the Kamui Original Hard tips. I know he used to use the Kamui Black Hard, but switched to title Original at some point..

And yes, they do look pretty cool as well...

Attachments

• 13853307188560.jpg
    13853307188560.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,030
  • 13790283299796.jpg
    13790283299796.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 4,270
  • 13887031479610.jpg
    13887031479610.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,372
  • 13886292679680.jpg
    13886292679680.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,980
Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

FTR Shane plays with a Kamui brown medium or at least he did when he was asked on the last few TAR podcasts he was on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk