Arizona pool player thread

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
I figured I'd make a thread for all of us in az a thread to talk about stuff. Maybe generate some matchups or get another round robin tourny or something going. Like gus being on fire right now winning everything under the sun. Man he is stepping it up a notch lately. Anyways hope to hear from you guys!

mincho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figured I'd make a thread for all of us in az a thread to talk about stuff. Maybe generate some matchups or get another round robin tourny or something going. Like gus being on fire right now winning everything under the sun. Man he is stepping it up a notch lately. Anyways hope to hear from you guys!

Who is Gus?

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Who is Gus?

Guy who won the last 2 DCT's and I think preacher ronns one pocket and something else i believe. briseno i thinks his last name. Plays gooooood. He has to be third best in the state behind frost and mitch.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Yep, I try to play Gus every chance I get. I might be donating but we get the weight pretty close to even and I have hung in there with him a couple of occasions. I usually get the 7 from him.

I cant touch him in one pocket.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Yep, I try to play Gus every chance I get. I might be donating but we get the weight pretty close to even and I have hung in there with him a couple of occasions. I usually get the 7 from him.

I cant touch him in one pocket.

Whats up evan?!?! Yeah the guy plays every game SOLID. Personally I would like to see him and pankoff play some full rack banks.
I get the 7 and breaks from john smith at metro and it's close to even as you can get. Last time we played he was 1 game winner after 3 hours. What you been up to???

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Not that I know of... I'm new to the area. Any big tournaments coming up in the area in the Phoenix area?

I think metro has a 10 ball monthly tourny this month. If you dig scotch on the lil tables, the tournys are everywhere. Phoenix area has tons of tournys every night of the week.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jason maybe you should host a Meet & Great at your favorite Pool Room, Sports Bar, or Bar.

Offing FREE BEER, and the Opportunity to talk about the Arizona Rating System be it good or bad.

BTW I will let you know in advance if you do hold the event I suggested, I will not be able to make it.

As I am 110% sure with the holidays coming I will have a previous engagement, or something else better to do than drink free beer, or talk about a:deadhorse:subject!
;)

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Like Jason said, there are tons of tournaments all over town.

As I posted up on the AZPoolScene Facebook page, Gus has been taking care of business all over town. His pre-shot routine has been locked down and he's taking every shot serious and winning everything. :clapping:

The DCT (Desert Classic Tour) Finale was just announced during the Stingers Stop this past weekend. It's at Bullshooters on Dec 2nd-4th. The 1st Round will be played Friday Night (Which is different than previous years). AND if you played in any of the 8 stops this year you are qualified to compete. (Which means I can play as I finished 5th in the one stop I played earlier this year)

Jason, it looks like if I don't start a Round Robin, no one will. Maybe I'll have to do that again. Actually what I would love to do to make it worth everyone's time and probably get some added money is to hold 3-4 different round robins at the same location at the same dates. Get 6-8 players of each rating 6, 7, 8, 9. Each competing in their own Round Robin.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Jason maybe you should host a Meet & Great at your favorite Pool Room, Sports Bar, or Bar.

Offing FREE BEER, and the Opportunity to talk about the Arizona Rating System be it good or bad.

BTW I will let you know in advance if you do hold the event I suggested, I will not be able to make it.

As I am 110% sure with the holidays coming I will have a previous engagement, or something else better to do than drink free beer, or talk about a:deadhorse:subject!
;)

Why would I want to talk about ratings? I would rather play. And if I did want to talk about ratings, 5s that don't play people or tournaments wouldn't be invited. Sorry you mistook that I would want your input on anything pool related. If I decide I want some advice on how to waste bandwidth or how to alienate myself from people I will call you.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member

As I posted up on the AZPoolScene Facebook page, Gus has been taking care of business all over town. His pre-shot routine has been locked down and he's taking every shot serious and winning everything. :clapping:

The DCT (Desert Classic Tour) Finale was just announced during the Stingers Stop this past weekend. It's at Bullshooters on Dec 2nd-4th. The 1st Round will be played Friday Night (Which is different than previous years). AND if you played in any of the 8 stops this year you are qualified to compete. (Which means I can play as I finished 5th in the one stop I played earlier this year)

Jason, it looks like if I don't start a Round Robin, no one will. Maybe I'll have to do that again. Actually what I would love to do to make it worth everyone's time and probably get some added money is to hold 3-4 different round robins at the same location at the same dates. Get 6-8 players of each rating 6, 7, 8, 9. Each competing in their own Round Robin.

Yeah we both have a way of getting things going. Even if it's not a round robin, I would like to see some grudge matches like alexanders used to have. Like when ohara and weasel teed it up. Mike bet his own against the weasel corporation. Even though mike was the underdog he lit him up like weasels @ss was made of gas lol. Love stuff like that. Either way I would like to see some stuff start happening. Last few times I went to the pool halls I was usually the only one stepping up and getting things going. I also have an idea about a league I think would be pretty cool. Ill pm it to you and tell me what you think.

Last edited:

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Yeah, I was throwing around the idea of doing a bunch of different tournament ideas that were previously done from Alexander's (RIP).

The Long Tournament - 32 players, Play 10 matches every Wednesday Night after league (All scheduled out), Double elimination Tournament, would take a few months to complete.

Round Robin Challenge(s) - 1 Day or Longer

North vs South Challenge

Big Money Challenges

etc. etc.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Yeah, I was throwing around the idea of doing a bunch of different tournament ideas that were previously done from Alexander's (RIP).

The Long Tournament - 32 players, Play 10 matches every Wednesday Night after league (All scheduled out), Double elimination Tournament, would take a few months to complete.

Round Robin Challenge(s) - 1 Day or Longer

North vs South Challenge

Big Money Challenges

etc. etc.

I like it. Maybe a round robin long tournament.... 8 people, each person plays a new person a decent set each week after league. Keep me posted fool!

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I am going off topic here from the Round Robin etc. I tell ya I feel like I am left out in the cold here in Gilbert. We have no real/good pool room here and I like to have a beer when I go out, therefore driving is not an option and Bullshooters is so far from me and Kolbys is still a 30-40 min drive. I wish there was one closer that I could just go and hang out at. Maybe one day I will get my stuff together enough to be ableto open my own here in the way East Valley.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
I am going off topic here from the Round Robin etc. I tell ya I feel like I am left out in the cold here in Gilbert. We have no real/good pool room here and I like to have a beer when I go out, therefore driving is not an option and Bullshooters is so far from me and Kolbys is still a 30-40 min drive. I wish there was one closer that I could just go and hang out at. Maybe one day I will get my stuff together enough to be ableto open my own here in the way East Valley.

Mark!!! How the hell are ya?! This thread is for whatever the hell we want to talk about lol.
Yeah, you far east siders are pretty screwed on anywhere to hang out. Main st, kolbys, groggy and skip and jans are the only places I know of on the east side and there not really close to you. And I think skip and jans is closer to me than you. Legends and champions the pool hall edition... I can dig it. Hope you are doing well way the hell out there lol. Take care!

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are not far from Main Street Billiards, on Main Street in Mesa, East of Dobson. Great tables, food and plenty to drink and there is always something going on. I'm there daily, action every now and then and always someone will to play just to play.

Kolby's as well, on University, West of McClintock in Tempe. Seems the crowd is small lately, but there is a lot of one pocket action by the regulars.

You also have Jester's Billiards, Baseline and Gilbert, however, that seems to me more of a "banger"/College crowd and honestly, the tables aren't exactly great. I was in there a few months back and there wasn't much happening and the 3-4 tables I tried out were horrible.

Shoot me a PM, maybe we can get together sometime. If you're on FaceBook, find AZ Pool Scene and "like" that page, there is a lot of good info there with tourney postings as well.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So what are us 5's? Chopped liver? I don't want to play against 6's , their too
tough. I should get at least one game on the wire:yes:

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
So what are us 5's? Chopped liver? I don't want to play against 6's , their too
tough. I should get at least one game on the wire:yes:

Give me a shout jump when you need a rackboy over at the acres. I haven't driven balls into the rails in over a month. So rusty it feels like my arm is gonna fall off. Race to 3 for the usual??

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Mark!!! How the hell are ya?! This thread is for whatever the hell we want to talk about lol.
Yeah, you far east siders are pretty screwed on anywhere to hang out. Main st, kolbys, groggy and skip and jans are the only places I know of on the east side and there not really close to you. And I think skip and jans is closer to me than you. Legends and champions the pool hall edition... I can dig it. Hope you are doing well way the hell out there lol. Take care!
Mr Crugar, Doing good sir. I so would like a Legends and Champions Pool Room. Right here in Gilbert.

Skip and Jans is maybe the closest but I don't get the pool room feel out of that place. The tables are great the last time I played there just after RKC had been there but the bar/lounge area don't have the pool room atmosphere that I like. Probably because the tables are separated from the lounge. Jmo. Hope all is well with.you too