AZB Has A Chat With Barry Behrman

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just don't confuse your opinion with the facts .
example : over 200 people posted in "shy but wants to play"
fact:there are only 117 (at this time ) posts in that thread
fact: less than 50 people (at this time ) have participated in that thread
fact: over 40 of those posts are by Skiergirl55 , responding to people or updating us on her play
Don't know why you picked that thread .
You could have picked "which one , exactly?" , one of our largest threads ever at over 2950 replies and over 54000 views . . . .

I picked that thread because it seemed very unlikely to me that it was a girl at all.
The answers that give advice on where to actually play or how to get started are fine whether it is or isn't a female , some people got a little carried away with their amorous overtones in my opinion.
If it is a girl , goody , if it's a guy ewwwwwwww!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
With all due respect, very much improved post.
I will withdraw now.

You certainly didn't hurt my feelings.. It is good to see that you have a sense of humor, though. Your last post made me laugh.

I should correct you; I'm not trying to influence anyone. I simply asked for opinions (I respect that you disagree with mine). I'm not trying to debate anything. I posted links to the articles that I based my original post on and I gave my opinion. I'm not trying to run Barry Behrman's name into the ground, as I mentioned previously. This is not about whether or not the players got paid, or how much he profited on the event. This is about Barry's lack of professionalism IN HIS PRESS RELEASES being damaging to the sport. I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same way. As far as the US Open goes, I hope Barry made a bundle (though I'm sure he didn't). I certainly hope he made enough to, at least, continue having the event each year.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
I picked that thread because it seemed very unlikely to me that it was a girl at all.
The answers that give advice on where to actually play or how to get started are fine whether it is or isn't a female , some people got a little carried away with their amorous overtones in my opinion.

You've been watchin' way to much To Catch A Predator . . .

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
View attachment 159693
6 or 7 of these arena size seats.

View attachment 159694
A concession area.

View attachment 159695
This wasn't done on all fire exits.

View attachment 159696
This was done on most fire exits. The other side of the door are vendors and vendor equipment. If there was a fire this would be a hazard. I spent weekends listening to firecode lectures.

View attachment 159697
Providing tables for vendors.

In short Barry rented a bunch of tables and an empty space, blocked off fire exits and sealed large crowds into a small space.

I have been to the US Open as a vendor many times. As well as to the BCA tournaments, BCA Expo, ect... etc....

All of these places are NUTS when it comes to the prices for renting chairs, tables, pipe and drape, trash cans, internet access, electricity, etc... some places are more lenient and accommodating than others but all of them are EXPENSIVE no matter how you look at it.

At the US Open the fire marshall comes through and inspects the setup, I know because I was forced to move my booth about five feet one year because we were blocking a fire extinguisher.

I doubt that Barry is being charged extra for the hallway space so that vendor money is probably a little extra in the kitty. One year I was in the Rotunda - wonderful space - traffic sucked - revenue down.

I have been as critical of Barry as anyone but he gets it done every year and the US Open is a magical event. It's just iconic and is the dream of every pool player to win it.

It's time to stop trying to micromanage everyone in the industry. Just play pool and have fun. Barry isn't going to change, the BCA is still going to suck next year, pool will will still be a niche sport with no "real money" in it, but we will all still be able to watch great pool and we will all still be able to go out and play to our heart's content.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry is okay in my book and has always gone out of his way to accommodate the competitors in his tournaments. It's almost like he comes up to each one every single day and asks how they are doing and if there is anything he can help them with. That's Barry Behrman.

Without Barry Behrman, this pool world would not be quite as bright. Pool could use more people just like him, but the costs and stress associated with organizing events of this size are difficult.

I ran a few tournaments, small ones, many years ago, and it was like a nightmare that got worse and worse. Everybody had a complaint, i.e., matches too long, rules suck, bad hit calls, dress code stinks, et cetera, et cetera. These were small tournaments, and I could not imagine what it would be like to organize a tournament of the caliber of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship.

I have a lot of photos of Barry and his family. They are all very photogetic, but I kind of like this one with his son, Brady, taken at the Derby City Classic. Brady does attend high-profile pool events around the country, wanting to keep up with the pool happenings. He's genuinely interested in the future of the sport, IMO. :)

Attachments

• Brady and Barry Behrman.JPG
    Brady and Barry Behrman.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 286

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only concern is that if there had been poor attendance this year, the players would still be waiting for their cash. It is pretty obvious Barry needs a good gate to pay the Players on time (nearly).

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does any one pay any attention to press releases from any promoter?
They all tell half truths, if not out and out lies. If you want to question the actions of promoters, there is a long list and Barry's name should not be at the top of that list.

The bottom line is that actions speak louder than words and Barry has been running the U.S. Open, and paying players, for 35 years. Can any one say the same about another pool promoter? I think not.

If you want pool players to get paid, start making plans now to attend the Open next year. A successful event, with every one getting paid, depends mainly on people attending, instead of sitting home and complaining.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious to see other's opinions on this article, as I haven't seen any yet.

Barry has faced a bit of scrutiny, the past couple of years, after not immediately paying players after the conclusion of the US Open. To reassure people that things would be different this year, he issued a press release to tell everyone, not only that he has been '“clean” for 8 years and it feels great', but that "All $180,000.00 will be paid in CASH," "promptly on time."

In his most recent 'Chat with AZB', he made a statement that, "He is disturbed by the negativity that some have expressed about his payment plan to Darren Appleton, the winner."

I'm not quite sure why he would be disturbed by the negativity. Did he not expect it, after his previous press releases??

I am not trying to bash Barry Behrman, I'm just trying to make a point. Barry would be doing himself a favor to just keep his mouth shut and NOT post anything. He has a tendency of posting way too much personal information in his press releases. They are certainly not written in a professional manner. If he doesn't want people thinking negatively of him, he should stop making promises that he can't keep.

For the articles that I've mentioned, please refer to:

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=8129
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7853
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7525

I see two parts to this. First, by not having the cash out on display (and to a lesser extent, needing to come up with a payment plan for the champion), Barry missed a huge PR opportunity. I think a photo of him standing next to the cash, as promised, with an accompanying press release, could have been one of his proudest moments. Opportunity missed, not much else going on there.

The second part of the issue is that, really, when you come right down to it, it's up to the players -- the folks who spend their cash, put in the time and effort to practice up and travel to the event -- to decide whether a promoter's actions deserve their support. If the folks who are investing entry fees, gas, plane tickets, rental cars, hotel rooms, and restaurant bills don't have a problem with what's going on at an event -- and keep showing up for it -- who are we to gripe?

I had the time and money to travel to Galveston, where a very nice 1pocket event was advertised. But I didn't like what I was seeing promised and I passed. On two other occasions I have actually traveled to an event and not liked what I saw and/or heard and I got back in my car without playing. That's what you do if you don't like the setup, or how the promoter is doing business.

So it's a real easy call: the players get what they deserve. And in this case, besides a broken promise here and there, and perhaps a delayed payment or two, they're getting a very fine event. The rest of us can comment, but we really aren't entitled to get too worked up about these kinds of issues one way or the other.

Lou Figueroa

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They all tell half truths, if not out and out lies. If you want to question the actions of promoters, there is a long list and Barry's name should not be at the top of that list.

Rich, you and I've never had an issue, but I need to say something about your blanket statement about promoters and press releases. I've written every CSI, BCAPL, and USAPL releases in 2.5 years. None have contained anything but the truth. I happen to come from a journalism and desktop publishing background that goes back to 1988. Not everyone in our sport who handles PR in our industry has a similar writing history, but they do the best they can and I too am continually learning. Now there are some who write their PR embellishing reality or in a non technically professional manner, but this is not the wealthiest of sports, very much including the production and promotion side. Room for improvement? Absolutely, but fair to make such a blanket statement is unfair to those in the sport who do consciously work to do everything to the best and most professional manner.
Holly

Last edited:

UGETTHE6

Always
Silver Member
Pleased as punch

I patronized you? sorry, I didn't realize that. I am truly sorry. I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, I am sorry.

Now, please.. proceed to influence all that agree with you.. I doubt that you can influence any other. Once again, Good Luck

I missed your point, and somehow I feel better for doing just that.

I love how non-players at the US OPEN make any comments at all. Tom Did you play? No, you just always seem to make comments on here and think that you are important. Are you just pleased as punch that you make comments on a forum? Wow... Ok Sally go ride your high-horse elsewhere. Your comments and your need to feel important don't mean anything to anyone on here. I have heard in real life comments about how much of a jerk you are, and how most of the time people just laugh at you, because you are such a non-asset to this game. Your continued bashing, and negative comments do nothing at all for a sport you SAY you love.

And I don't recall anyone checking Berry on his comments at the Players Meeting, Oh I know I was there and I played in the US OPEN. He said that anyone who wanted it, could leave with CASH, that he would be cashing checks, and his exact comment was "and yes the winner too" So if he was prepared to cash all the checks, where was the cash? Or am I the only person who sat through the entire players meeting and didn't run off to get free meatballs and chicken wings. Maybe next year I will video tape the Players Meeting and everything Berry says so we don't have this problem again.

BUT JB said it best; it isn't going to change, because the players don't make a stand. The players just sit back and allow their opponents to wire balls, and just sit there and take it. They take it because they don't wish to negate themselves from playing in an event where they can make some money. Because when the day is done, it is their job, how about you go argue with your boss, and with your co-workers and see how far that gets you.

This is why there needs to be a governing player body. That addresses these issues, and does something about it. Why WASTE money on paying sanction fees with the WPBA, what the hell do they do? Why aren't they standing up for the players? Why don't they make a stand?

Well problem is, most of the players aren’t educated, and they grew up gambling and in pool halls, and not in school. How many have bachelors? Masters degrees? Probably a few, not many, why? Because they were WORKING, trying to make a living because that is all they know. I have more respect for the pro-players out there who do this for a living then anyone. And anyone who knows me knows this to be true. They grind daily for pennies, while I go to work, make money, and pay my entrance fee so they can get paid. So I have a voice, I have a reason I can stand up and say anything at all. So if you don't support the players, the sport, in a positive way, I think you need to get off the forums. You aren't helping.

All that was being said here was what Berry said himself. It was just being brought up, because if we DONT make a stand and put people in check as PLAYERS then it will always continue. Yes, Geoff has made a comment that other pros WANT to make, but won't because this game is their job. Very few pros speak out against the man! Why? Why continue to say anything at all? Why keep making the sport look bad, and why make the "professional" events look like they are being ran by idiots? Why won't the pros say this? Because do they really want to get kicked out of the US OPEN and a yearly chance at $40,000.00! No way man, but we will make the stand, and make the comments that will flush out the bad and hopefully bring in the new.

Last edited:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I am in no way saying that Barry is bad for the sport. What I have said, is that he should be a bit more professional in his press releases. Barry Behrman is one of the biggest names in pool. If this sport has any chance to become anything great, the big name people need to act as professionals. This goes for players as well. I have singled out Barry because he's an easy target.

I don't see any problem with criticising people in power. Many good things can come from it. Often times, the ones being criticised will make improvements, so long as they don't take the criticism personal. Of course, that is all part of being a professional. The other benefit to criticising those in power, sometimes other people get the idea that they can do things better. I don't see any downside to new people making an attempt to promote pool events. This is what the sport needs.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love how non-players at the US OPEN make any comments at all. Tom Did you play? No, you just always seem to make comments on here and think that you are important. Are you just pleased as punch that you make comments on a forum? Wow... Ok Sally go ride your high-horse elsewhere. Your comments and your need to feel important don't mean anything to anyone on here. I have heard in real life comments about how much of a jerk you are, and how most of the time people just laugh at you, because you are such a non-asset to this game. Your continued bashing, and negative comments do nothing at all for a sport you SAY you love....

...This is why there needs to be a governing player body. That addresses these issues, and does something about it. Why WASTE money on paying sanction fees with the WPBA, what the hell do they do? Why aren't they standing up for the players? Why don't they make a stand?

Well problem is, most of the players aren’t educated, and they grew up gambling and in pool halls, and not in school. How many have bachelors? Masters degrees? Probably a few, not many, why? Because they were WORKING, trying to make a living because that is all they know. I have more respect for the pro-players out there who do this for a living then anyone. And anyone who knows me knows this to be true. They grind daily for pennies, while I go to work, make money, and pay my entrance fee so they can get paid. So I have a voice, I have a reason I can stand up and say anything at all. So if you don't support the players, the sport, in a positive way, I think you need to get off the forums. You aren't helping....

While I agree with much of your post, I think there's a way to express one's self without being mean-spirited. I thought your comments to Tom were uncalled for, and, in fact, I do not agree with them at all. :(

Your second thought, though, about the WPA, I do agree with. :)

With a membership join date of September 2010, it is amazing that you are able to form such opinions about Tom.

JMHO, FWIW!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Exactly what would the players do if there were no Barry or no fans?

This is very old. Players whining and crying because they don't get what they expect and yet they have to be told what to expect.

Grow up. Get a job and quit depending on everyone else to make a living.

No way man, but we will make the stand, and make the comments that will flush out the bad and hopefully bring in the new.

UGETTHE6

Always
Silver Member
Exactly what would the players do if there were no Barry or no fans?

This is very old. Players whining and crying because they don't get what they expect and yet they have to be told what to expect.

Grow up. Get a job and quit depending on everyone else to make a living.

I have a full time job. Thanks. No one was whining and crying, I wasn't for one, I just don't like your posts. You are negitive and tend NOT to look at each side of each situation objectively. Whereas I do. I have the ability to take a step back and think about the feelings, of the players and promoters. Where you, just simply inject your opionions with out HUMBELLY looking at them.

I do the same sometimes, too we are all guilty of this, however, in this situation, Berry's press releases are unprofessional, and if he is going to make these "public" satements he needs to keep his word.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member

One more example of you spoutin' off without benefit of the facts !!

I'm not tryin' to hijack this thread ! Move this BS over to the thread in question , and we'll 'splain real life to your silly self . . . .

Last edited:

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
Actually Tom, you missed the point. The point is: Barry is full of shit and continues to make himself look bad in his press releases. I appreciate what he has done, and continues to do for pool. I'm not saying that he isn't an asset to the sport.. I'm just saying that he would do much better for himself if he weren't so worried about defending himself. When he gets defensive, he ends up looking worse.

I can only hope that by posting this on this forum, it will get enough response to get Barry's attention. Maybe then, he will realize how his lack of professionalism is damaging to the sport. My intent is not to further damage Barry's reputation, but to better the sport. If you think that me calling Barry out is damaging to the sport, I suggest you read through his press releases again.

Glad you appreciate what Barry has done, though you've got a strange way of showing it. A simple thank you might express your appreciation better.

Barry's lack of professionalism damages the sport of pool? How? How can this completely dysfunctional sport possibly be damaged? No one but us pays attention.

Thirty five years and counting - regardless of everything else - just focus on that.

Your intent is to bash Barry, nothing more nothing less.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rich, you and I've never had an issue, but I need to say something about your blanket statement about promoters and press releases. I've written every CSI, BCAPL, and USAPL releases in 2.5 years. None have contained anything but the truth. I happen to come from a journalism and desktop publishing background that goes back to 1988. Not everyone in our sport who handles PR in our industry has a similar writing history, but they do the best they can and I too am continually learning. Now there are some who write their PR embellishing reality or in a non technically professional manner, but this is not the wealthiest of sports, very much including the production and promotion side. Room for improvement? Absolutely, but fair to make such a blanket statement is unfair to those in the sport who do consciously work to do everything to the best and most professional manner.
Holly

Holly, I apologize, especially to you. I know you have always tried to be honest in all of your releases. My words were too inclusive and maybe a bit too harsh. I like your words better. Press releases, from some, definitely "embellish" the truth.
I also didn't mean to imply that some of these people intentionally lie or mislead. Sometimes, as events come to fruition, things change and what was originally stated in the press release don't always make sense in the end. In this instance, I have to assume that some one brought Barry to his senses after he stated he would have all of that cash on hand. You just don't walk into a convention center, with all of that cash, without a substantial, and expensive, security force in place.
Again, Holly, I apologize to you and others who try your best to release accurate information. However, I do stand behind my main point that press releases are not necessarily the best source of information and we should not consider these releases as the be all and end all.

Last edited:

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dear Old Friend Rich, thanks for the apology. Also your comments spurred me to think about PR and the sport in general.

I think sometimes, people are not fully clear on the purpose of a press release, both people who write them and the readers. So, below is a definition of a "press release".

"A press release, news release, media release, or press statement is a written or recorded communication directed at members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something claimed as having news value. Typically, they are mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to assignment editors at newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television stations, and/or television networks".

From a strictly journalistic perspective most all other writing generally come under the following styles:

- editorial

- letter to an editor, response to an editorial, or on occassion a publication will print an Open Letter if deemed news worthy

- Features / both short and long

- Some publications will include short fiction.

With the exception of a Letter FROM the Editor, never should the releases be viewed as necessarily the opinion of the publication. Yes, all news outlets do have a focus, fashion magazines promote all things in that industry, auto mags...well they promote those cool little $80,000 cars most of us cannot afford, and then there are pool and billiard publications.

The billiard press and all those in the industry who handle PR, marketing and communication full time work tirelessly to educate and inform to the best of our ability what is taking place in our sport and community. Are we perfect no, do we try to do our best to keep the sport moving forward, absolutely, are there issues that need to be addressed, oh sure.

What creates change? Dialogue, open mindedness, lack of selfishness, and sound development and honest desire for change. This forum can be a positive conduit for change, if we let it.

Ok, off my soap box now :) and thanks again Rich for opening the topic in general.

BilliardsHQ.com

Registered
That's a cool guy right there :) JAM, i miss you!

Barry is okay in my book and has always gone out of his way to accommodate the competitors in his tournaments. It's almost like he comes up to each one every single day and asks how they are doing and if there is anything he can help them with. That's Barry Behrman.

Without Barry Behrman, this pool world would not be quite as bright. Pool could use more people just like him, but the costs and stress associated with organizing events of this size are difficult.

I ran a few tournaments, small ones, many years ago, and it was like a nightmare that got worse and worse. Everybody had a complaint, i.e., matches too long, rules suck, bad hit calls, dress code stinks, et cetera, et cetera. These were small tournaments, and I could not imagine what it would be like to organize a tournament of the caliber of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship.

I have a lot of photos of Barry and his family. They are all very photogetic, but I kind of like this one with his son, Brady, taken at the Derby City Classic. Brady does attend high-profile pool events around the country, wanting to keep up with the pool happenings. He's genuinely interested in the future of the sport, IMO. :)

BilliardsHQ.com

Registered
Pool Tournaments are so hard to do, especially when there is quite of bit of cheese involved and being held outside of a pool room. So many things can hinder an event; the weather, the crowd, etc. Pool is so small in respect to other sports and unfortunately there will never be main stream professional pool. As much as we all wish there was, at the end of the day, it's pool. They either love us or hate us. So with that in mind, all of the added money comes from all the applicable sources, that's just the way it is. Coca Cola still hasn't jumped on board so until corporate america gets involved, we all need to work hard with what we have.

For the guy who posted the fire hazards, Fire Marshal inspects it and signs off for the event - They also come back to check things. JB, I remember that you had to slide down!

Seating - that costs well over 10k to setup
Booths - they all cost to have rented, setup, draped etc.

Tom, Loved you in Cincy Brother! :)

Barry works his a$$ off to put on the biggest and best show possible. As ignorant as it may sound, stretching the line is what makes the event as special and unique as it is. Is it bad business, maybe but who are we to judge?