AzBilliards Year in Review for 2009

JAM

I am the storm
Silver Member
I cannot believe 2009 has already zipped by. When I look back at the year 2009, there were quite a few pool happenings, on and off our beloved forum.

Last year, 2008, these were my top 5:

1. Loss of "Fast Eddie Nelson" a/k/a Paul Newman.
2. OB Cues Slogan Contest (fastest growing thread ever)
3. Outpouring of never-ending affection for AzBilliard's number-one poster: Smorgie!
4. Announcement of CSI Tour (hope for a legitimate, self-sustaining pool tour)
5. Brand-new look to AzBilliards Main Page, with cool additions!

When I reflect on 2009, I can think of a few happenings that shine brightly, but this year, I want to hear from y'all before I post my Top 5 2009 AzBilliards Year in Review happenings.

Some suggestions for content might be what tournament did you enjoy the most -- [no secret here what this one will be for the Americans] -- or what thread on the Main Forum was the most enjoyable or what new pool product or tour did 2009 bring that you really like.

For me, the biggest happening in 2009 personally was Keith getting that royalties check from the Screen Actors Guild. Man, all of a sudden, pool is cool for me and mine! :cool:

What are your Top 5 best happenings for the AzBilliards' Year in Review in 2009? Bring 'em on! :grin:
 
2009 happenings,

1.T rex saga
2.Vern Elliot passing
3.Baronas overnight success comes after Chris Bartram romance.
 
Summary of AZ:

Derby City Classic

Fight-Bash-Fight

TAR Match-ups

Fight-Bash-Fight

Tony Chohan arrested on drug charges

We lose Paul Newman

Fight-Bash-Fight

US Open

Tony Chohan convicted of drug charges

Mike Surber is murdered (no justice yet)

Fight-Bash-Fight

Mosconi Cup Idol - all is well and new pros post for first time ever
Hatch is chosen and pros post no more

John Schmidt blows up and leaves, returns civil

USA BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF EUROPE:cool:
 
I think all 5 should involve actual AzB members. Here are a few good ones:

- The Schmidt / Hariman incident
- Our very own Hatch wins the Mosconi Cup Idol
- Donny Mills terrific US Open performance

And lastly

- The launch of the Venom Trickshots DVD by yours truly :p

(okay fine, nut huge news, lol...but pretty good considering I'm a regular here)
 
Geezy peezy, does anybody remember a few more highlights of 2009 on AzBilliards? :frown:

Well, let me see if I can conjure up a couple 2009 memories!

It was nice to see the BCA induct Allison Fisher and Johnny Archer inducted into their Hall of Fame. :bow-down:

Team USA kicked some European butt at the Mosconi Cup. :nanner:

As much as I do not enjoy mentioning it, Mike Immonen may well be the 2009 Player of the Year, winning most every major tournament he stepped foot in. :smile-us-down:

Oscar Dominguez from California rose in status on the pool player chain as the New Kid on the Block for 2009. The United States desparately needs fresh new blood in pool, and Oscar fits the bill in fine fashion. :angel:

On a sad note in 2009, we lost Edwin Reyes and Mike Surber, valued members of our pool world, to senseless murders. We also lost a few cherished pool folk: Randi Mathews (Grady's wife), Vernon Elliott, and Willie Jopling. May they all rest in peace! I hope I have not forgotten anyone. :(

The inaugural "Galveston, oh, Galveston" pool convention came to the fore. Whether it will occur a second time in 2010 remains to be seen, but it sure did rise the interest level in a lot of members of this forum. :indecisive:

Tony Chohan, a well-known action player and tournament soldier, got himself involved in a legal mess, resulting in him being off the circuit for up to 7 years. I hope he gets out on good behavior. I will miss him, and so will my boyfriend. :smiling-heart:

The first Derby City Classic occurred at the "new" location, the Horseshoe Southern Indian Casino. Though there were some logistical problems, it was considered a huge success, and I'm sure January 2010 will be even better! :cool:

Well, that's about all I can come up with for now. Next? :smile:

ETA: I forgot to add Smorgie to the above-list of those who have gone on to greener pastures. I guess I hate thinking about it.
 
Last edited:
Who could forget the Galveston tournament payout fiasco? :yikes:
 
2009 happenings,

1.T rex saga
2.Vern Elliot passing
3.Baronas overnight success comes after Chris Bartram romance.

Disco,
You trying to say that hooking up with Bartram will improve your game by a few balls?!! Bart, theres the new pick up line. "Hey girl, I'm Chris Bartram. My loving is the Super Systems of the pool world."
 
Back
Top