Banking The CTE Way On A Diamond Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't but I will later today. Stan does talk about speed and spin in his videos as it relates to bank shots. Every table plays a little differently too.

He sure does. He specifically mentions that all a player has to do is get the right speed and spin to bank balls. But, honestly, this applies to all banking methods. You line up for what looks right, then use speed and/or spin to dial it in just right.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He sure does. He specifically mentions that all a player has to do is get the right speed and spin to bank balls. But, honestly, this applies to all banking methods. You line up for what looks right, then use speed and/or spin to dial it in just right.

Right speed and spin in step with the proper CTE visual, is what Stan means. Don't try to spin his words. You use the Visual perspective that the system dictates you use, then you adjust according to how the table is playing.

PS Dan will be so disappointed that you had to correct him once again,lol.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hapoy Easter to everybody!

As far as banks go, 12 in a row is impressive. It got me wondering, despite my lack of professional banking experience, how many I could make in a row if I placed all the balls in a manner to allow them to be banked. I got 7. Another time I got 6. So then I racked 9 balls and broke them, tried to bank as many as possible. I did this 4 or 5 times. My best was 4. Typically I'd make 2 or 3.

I know from watching a lot of bank pool that even the greatest professional bankers today typically don't bank anymore than 4 or 5 in a row, and that's a rare occasion, certainly not average. 2 or 3 seems to be average, and and every now then you might see a great run 6 or more, but not often. This includes Tyler Styer also.

Just putting the whole banking skill into perspective, and doing that makes me think I wasted my time for about an hour and half trying to see how many balls I could bank in a row. Lol. I don't play bank pool. I play a lot of one pocket though, and I don't remember a time when I had to bank anymore than 3 in a row to get out. Typically it's one here, one there, maybe two in a row sometimes, but you seldom have to bank anymore more than that in a row in any game except for bank pool.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Right speed and spin in step with the proper CTE visual, is what Stan means. Don't try to spin his words. You use the Visual perspective that the system dictates you use, then you adjust according to how the table is playing.

PS Dan will be so disappointed that you had to correct him once again,lol.

You're right....I'm not spinning his words. He said the visuals put you on the bank, and then you have to get the right speed and spin ro make them. No different than using the diamonds to line up a bank. You still have to get the speed and spin right to make it.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.”

― Richard P. Feynman

Feynman, huh? Finally we have a CTE user who seems to be grounded in science in mista335. I'm glad you chimed in with this.

There really are not any videos on CTE that would qualify as an experiment that controls variables and tries to guard against bias confirmation. The closest thing I think we have is the video Stan did to show that speed had no impact on throw when you use CTE. If fact he seemed to prove the opposite. You'll no doubt be interested in this thread since you're a Feynman fan:

Here is Stan's original video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFrpI-5rKbM&t=6s

and here is my follow up taking a look at what actually happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjQoNfXcck&feature=youtu.be

I'd be interested in your conclusions based on what actual science can be teased out of the video.

Stan saw my analysis and made a follow up in which he shimmed the pocket down to about 3.5 inches and pocketed balls soft and hard down the middle of the pocket. I guess his intention was to show that balls really did not throw differently with different speeds. What he actually showed was what your friend Feynman would call a kind of confirmation bias. Stan went in with the preconception that CTE puts the ball center pocket no matter what. In the first video he didn't pay much attention to where the ball was hitting the pocket. He was focusing on a consistent stroke. In the second video with shimmed pockets, he was out to "prove" his point that the balls hit center pocket. Of course at this point the cat is out of the bag and it is an invalid test. Stan was now focusing on hitting center pocket rather than executing all shots the exact same way.

There are lots of things you can conclude from this one video but I'd be interested in your take.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which angles might they be? Please be specific

Not sure what the confusion is about. You have the 15 "degree," 30 degree and 60 degree perceptions, which of course are not those exact angles plus a pivot in or out. Each of those correspond to a particular shot angle and if the balls happen to be on that line the ball will drop. The angles are certainly a little different from person to person and also depend on shot distance. A 30 degree inside perception from 12 inches away will yield a different angle than the same thing from 4 feet away. If the pocket happens to be in the way the ball will drop.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what the confusion is about. You have the 15 "degree," 30 degree and 60 degree perceptions, which of course are not those exact angles plus a pivot in or out. Each of those correspond to a particular shot angle and if the balls happen to be on that line the ball will drop. The angles are certainly a little different from person to person and also depend on shot distance. A 30 degree inside perception from 12 inches away will yield a different angle than the same thing from 4 feet away. If the pocket happens to be in the way the ball will drop.

Once again proof you know nothing about CTE.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More of the same ol' same ol', "Pay no attention to that man behind that curtain."

Never an attempt at a specific, logical, evidence based counter-argument.

Lou Figueroa

I'm curious Lou, how do you argue with a guy that knows nothing about the subject. Read his post, he thinks we use a system that only makes balls from 6 different angles and he doesn't even have the angles correctly identified.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm curious Lou, how do you argue with a guy that knows nothing about the subject. Read his post, he thinks we use a system that only makes balls from 6 different angles and he doesn't even have the angles correctly identified.

Come on Lou, enlighten the people. You know Dan's post is false don't you. I mean you profess to teach a version of CTE.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More of the same ol' same ol', "Pay no attention to that man behind that curtain."

Never an attempt at a specific, logical, evidence based counter-argument.

Lou Figueroa

It does lose it's charm after the 1000th time, doesn't it?

I have high hopes for mista. Any guy who quotes Feynman must be the kind that wants to explore the facts through actual experimentation.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
three of the fab 5 already this morning

cte owned!!!

and just as clueless as ever!! Rotflmao!!

Next will be the smart ass retort!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cookie, we are here to discuss aiming, no?

So why not engage the man and if necessary, school him rather than breate him and others to no fruitful end? OK, so you believe his questions and doubts have been addressed in the past. But obviously he doesn't feel the same way. Show some patience (and tact) and discuss.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on Lou, enlighten the people. You know Dan's post is false don't you. I mean you profess to teach a version of CTE.

I believe a answer coming from an advocate would be much more credible and enlightening.

Lou Figueroa
and surprising, lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does lose it's charm after the 1000th time, doesn't it?

I have high hopes for mista. Any guy who quotes Feynman must be the kind that wants to explore the facts through actual experimentation.

I guess I hope he's a true student of the man and didn't just grab that quote off a meme.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
Richard Feynman

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.