Basic tip and ferrule lathe shoot out: HarborFreight, Cuesmith, TSP&B, Brianna.

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=173278
with steady rest $14.00.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43579
I guess there is a coupon that could bring this lathe down to $320.00

Brand: Harbor Freight, type: 7" x 10" Precision Mini Lathe. Price: $413.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=173278

Brand: tsp&b Type: Basic cue repair Price: $449.00

http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?menu1=menu_lathes&page=cue_lathe_micro_2

Brand: Cuesmith Type: Micro cue smith II Price: $850.00

http://www.briannaproducts.com/newlathe.htm

Brand: Brianna Type: tip and ferrule lathe Price: $1195.00

Im not sure what criteria to judge these by and the order in priority, maybe the pro's can help me with that? I put some off the top of my mind, in any order.

1. Price
2. motor speed
3. center distance
4. size through the headstock
5. Portability
6. Customizable
7. weight
8. material made of.
9. customer service
10. Jobs that can be performed accurately.

Eric Wynne

Banned
Get the Hightower , or Unique ... Don't mess with the others ... I just got a Deluxe CueSmith for an extra lathe after using one belonging to WilleeCue ... You get great support with the product , unlike some of the others ... The Unique is good for what it does but the deluxe with the new features is pretty cool and functions extremely well ... My advice is get it right the first time cause life is short !!!:cool:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have a more expensive version of the HF lathe, put out by Microlux, that I use for tips and ferrules. I also make my own capped/threaded ferrules on it, I cut my own phenolic rods for tips and ferrule combos, joint collars, even butt caps. I also make m maple dowels for plugs(for the occasional oops) Basically any small machine project or tool, etc. It has a power feed that goes both directions, gear changes for threading, MT tailstock, that you can get drill chucks for $8 at HF, so you can have the center drills/drills/tip centering tools, etc. already in a chuck ready to swap out in seconds. Some mods were needed, but usually small things like making collets for the rear of the spindle, and rear support for the shaft. I added a quickchange tool post. Basically everything needs a tweek to be what you want it to be. IMO, I think, dollar for dollar, a small machinest lathe is more useful than one that is only capable or tip and ferrule replacement.
I also own a benchtop Atlas TH-54 and recently acquired a used Deluxe Cuesmith to do all the major stuff on.
I personnally would recommend looking for a used Microlux, or small Grizzley, etc. as the HF lathe is not as good a quality unit compare to the others I just mentioned.
All the above it just my Opinion
Dave

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I just knew that Micro-Lux was as nice as it looks! If something goes wrong with my Enco,that is the one I want to replace it. The only problem with it is the 2x price compared to the HF which is as close to mine as it gets. Tommy D.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Get the Hightower , or Unique ... Don't mess with the others ...

Umm .. I have both Unique Cue Companion and Todd Schultz (tsp&b)'s professional lathes .. they are both good but different. Both are communicative and easy to work with.

4 feet bed on Todd's lathe gives a lot of flexibility and upgrade possibility. Unique is very portable and simple to use for tips and ferrule.

For a hack like me with no machining background and generally a hobbyist (not out to make bucks doing tips and ferrules for others), I like the setup put together by someone else.

If you are smarter than me, I'm sure it can be done cheaper.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Umm .. I have both Unique Cue Companion and Todd Schultz (tsp&b)'s professional lathes .. they are both good but different. Both are communicative and easy to work with.

4 feet bed on Todd's lathe gives a lot of flexibility and upgrade possibility. Unique is very portable and simple to use for tips and ferrule.

For a hack like me with no machining background and generally a hobbyist (not out to make bucks doing tips and ferrules for others), I like the setup put together by someone else.

If you are smarter than me, I'm sure it can be done cheaper.

Of course it can be done cheaper, but I'll say this I got Todd's top model and its alot of bang for the buck. Its highly upgradeable....plus I really would not have saved a sh*t ton of money building it myself....maybe a couple hundred or so....thats really not much extra to spend to have someone do all the leg work for you.

It will soon have a taper bar plus a 30" coring setup that I'm building myself...that hightower style taper bar is so easy to build a caveman can do it. Wonderful idea in how he designed that.

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I don't think that you should include the HF mini lathe in this "shootout". It doesn't do the same things as the other 3 out of the box, you have to modify it to do minor cue repairs.

Here's my opinion... ALL are good products that will do what they say and can be upgraded! Who you buy from comes to personal choice- customer service, shipping time and cost!

Good luck in your choice,
Zim

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Price 2. motor speed 3. center distance 4. size through the headstock 5. Portability 6. Customizable 7. weight 8. material made of. 9. customer service 10. Jobs that can be performed accurately.[/QUOTE said:
John, thanks for moving to a seperate thread. This is a better avenue without offending anyone. Now I would modify your list a little. The number 1 priority should be what you are you going to do with this lathe. Questions to ask yourself. Are you going to just replace tips? Will you need to chuck up anything bigger than a shaft at it's tip end? Will you be interested in Cue making or just repairs? Will you keep this lathe at home or will you be moving it to a local bar or show? I hate to say it but price is not number one. If it is then you may want to just pass on getting a lathe. I am a firm believer in getting the correct tool to do the job.

good luck in your search.

Jim.

zx24

Cue Maker Apprentice
Silver Member
Emco lathe

Emco compact 5 is much better than everything you mentioned and reasonable priced.

The emco is no match for either The Hightower micro lathe or Lee's Entry level lathe.Your hancuffed on what you can do with the emco with out heavy modifications.
With the emco your pretty much stuck doing just tips. Even then you need to make a rear tailstock of some sort to support the shaft.
At least with The Micro and Lees Machine you can do tips,ferulles,
wraps, shaft cleaning and sealing, joint work and finish work.
Just my opinion.

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?me..._lathe_micro_2

Brand: Cuesmith Type: Micro cue smith II Price: $850.00

http://www.briannaproducts.com/newlathe.htm

Brand: Brianna Type: tip and ferrule lathe Price: $1195.00

above you have chris's lathe at $850.00
and mine at $1195.00 at $850.00 you get a basic lathe
with the extras its like $1200.00 so about the same price

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The emco is no match for either The Hightower micro lathe or Lee's Entry level lathe.Your hancuffed on what you can do with the emco with out heavy modifications.
With the emco your pretty much stuck doing just tips. Even then you need to make a rear tailstock of some sort to support the shaft.
At least with The Micro and Lees Machine you can do tips,ferulles,
wraps, shaft cleaning and sealing, joint work and finish work.
Just my opinion.[/QUOTE

I use a H/F 7X10 for doing tournament work which is a much cheaper version of a Emco lathe and the only thing I had to make was a support for the shaft with a bearing at the cost of less than 15.00 and I do tips, ferrules, shaft cleaning and polishing with no problems what-so-ever. If I add a rheostat foot peddle to control the lathe speed and move the bearing support to the front of the lathe I can also do wraps. It can also be used for finishing work in the shop if desired. I have made as much as 1500.00 a day with this lathe at tournaments.

Dick

Last edited:

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far this is pretty informative. Im glad I added in that HF lathe even though it appeared to not be cut from the same mold.

More details on what makes the lathes better would help us all. Like someone mentioned you can do the same with the HF lathe if you add this or that support. Brianna mentioned their lathes are the same price as Todds when you factor in all the extra's that come with her 1200.00 priced lathe.

Also I said my list was in any order and still someone mentioned that price should not be my top priority of the list..But lets be honest, there is not a thing in this world that price doesnt dictate your final decision.:D Would it be fair to say every industry is revolved around better for cheaper. What Im trying to avoid is much worse for cheaper.

cuemaker03 said:
Emco compact 5 is much better than everything you mentioned and reasonable priced.

Why cuemaker03, what makes it so much better, what can it do that the others can't? How much is it? put a price, add a picture.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He asked about a tip and ferrule lathe, not a cue lathe. Read the full post. The Emco is way more solid and has V-ways in the bed, something all the good machine lathes of yesteryear came with.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I found emco
L720? whats that in American money and how much to ship
OP seemed to want to buy on the cheap

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
He asked about a tip and ferrule lathe, not a cue lathe. Read the full post. The Emco is way more solid and has V-ways in the bed, something all the good machine lathes of yesteryear came with.

Cuemaker03, do you mean an ENco or EMco? There is a big difference as to which one you are referencing. Emco makes the Unimat series, and I'm not impressed with the only one I have seen first hand. The Microlux has a v way for the front rail and a flat for the rear. It weighs in at 90lbs, so it's no lightweight lathe. I've even cut stainless steel joint collars on it. For the money, and only needing to make some collets and a support for the rear of the shaft, which any metal lathe will need, I still say that it's the best deal for repairs, just not portable due to the weight IMO.
Dave

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuemaker03, do you mean an ENco or EMco? There is a big difference as to which one you are referencing. Emco makes the Unimat series, and I'm not impressed with the only one I have seen first hand. The Microlux has a v way for the front rail and a flat for the rear. It weighs in at 90lbs, so it's no lightweight lathe. I've even cut stainless steel joint collars on it. For the money, and only needing to make some collets and a support for the rear of the shaft, which any metal lathe will need, I still say that it's the best deal for repairs, just not portable due to the weight IMO.
Dave

Emco is probably the best small lathe of this size ever made. They are made in Austria and it is what all of these cheap Chinese lathes are copied from. They will run forever and although I haven't checked prices lately, in the early nineties they ran around 1600.00. They do make the Uni-mat also. By the way, the Microlux is made in the same plant by the same people (Seig) as the other mini-lathes (central machinery, Speedway and such) and the parts are almost all interchangeable between all of them.

Dick