Beat or Match Mosconi's 526 at the BCAPL Nationals Win Cash!

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
846 - wow

I used to bowl a lot back 40-50 years ago.

Your 846 is Waaaaayyyyyy up there.

It seems no-one else noticed. But I did.

Also, I feel there is a lot of commonality in both games.

Just random comments.

Mark griffin

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I used to bowl a lot back 40-50 years ago.

Your 846 is Waaaaayyyyyy up there.

It seems no-one else noticed. But I did.

Also, I feel there is a lot of commonality in both games.

Just random comments.

Mark griffin

Not to hijack this thread, but a little about bowling in my area...

Mark, unlike pool, the game of bowling has changed leaps and bounds in the past 40-50 years. Back then balls were made of solid hard rubber. Today they are made up of the latest and greatest polyurethanes and have plutonium reactors for cores. ;)

But seriously, where I bowled (Wilkes-Barre, PA), 846 is nothing - and I mean nothing. I would bet it is not even in the top 50 all-time series ever bowled in our association (Wyoming Valley Bowling Association). It was in our association that the old team record of the St Louis Budweisers (3,858) was originally broken back in 1994. In fact, I personally witnessed it. And another thing no one else probably knows is that same team (Hurst's Bowling Supplies) came within a whisker of beating it the week before. Like Mosconi's 526, the Budweisers' 3,858 was regarded as THE record in bowling.

All time I have 17 300 games and 5 800 series. There's guys in our association who have had more 300 games than that in a SINGLE SEASON (not in the same league, but in combined leagues - there's guys who bowl 4-5 nights a week), and I remember a guy on Wednesday night a few years back who had 800 SIX WEEKS IN A ROW.

In fact, to put it in pool terms, I was just a mere shortstop compared to a lot of the guys in that association.

http://www.britannica.com/facts/5/474162/bowling-as-discussed-in-Bowling-Year-In-Review-1994

Last edited:

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Ambidexterous 300

Hasn't this area also produced the only non-amputee who has bowled perfect games both lefty and righty?

Ron F

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
---

Not to hijack this thread, but a little about bowling in my area...

Mark, unlike pool, the game of bowling has changed leaps and bounds in the past 40-50 years. Back then balls were made of solid hard rubber. Today they are made up of the latest and greatest polyurethanes and have plutonium reactors for cores. ;)

But seriously, where I bowled (Wilkes-Barre, PA), 846 is nothing - and I mean nothing. I would bet it is not even in the top 50 all-time series ever bowled in our association (Wyoming Valley Bowling Association). It was in our association that the old team record of the St Louis Budweisers (3,858) was originally broken back in 1994. In fact, I personally witnessed it. And another thing no one else probably knows is that same team (Hurst's Bowling Supplies) came within a whisker of beating it the week before. Like Mosconi's 526, the Budweisers' 3,858 was regarded as THE record in bowling.

All time I have 17 300 games and 5 800 series. There's guys in our association who have had more 300 games than that in a SINGLE SEASON (not in the same league, but in combined leagues - there's guys who bowl 4-5 nights a week), and I remember a guy on Wednesday night a few years back who had 800 SIX WEEKS IN A ROW.

In fact, to put it in pool terms, I was just a mere shortstop compared to a lot of the guys in that association.

http://www.britannica.com/facts/5/474162/bowling-as-discussed-in-Bowling-Year-In-Review-1994

Looks like you DO speaky ingleesh!!! LOL

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Hasn't this area also produced the only non-amputee who has bowled perfect games both lefty and righty?

Ron F

Not the only one now, but I believe he was the first to do it. He also has 800 both righty and lefty and I think he is the only one to have that. I know him as well. Almost knocked his head off a few times. He's probably the best "house shot" bowler in the world. A tournament pattern is a different story, though.

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bowling

A VERY good friend - when I lived in Alaska - bowled the first 800 series. 806 I believe. He was in the military and got it at the old Park Lanes - probably around early 1970's.

I also remember when Dave Frame - bowled the first 300 in ALASKA. It was mid 1960's and happened at Palmer, Alaska.

Dave went on to try the pro tour and struggled.

I saw Voss roll a few at Center Bowl 30 years ago - he had family up there.

We sponsored a team in one of the better leagues, and our good friend (a body shop owner) rolled a 300 wearing our shirt!

I pretty much quit hanging around bowling alleys 20 years ago. Times have changed but those scores you talk about are insane!

.-.-.-.-.Now back to our regular programming.-.-.-.-.

Mark Griffin

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
A VERY good friend - when I lived in Alaska - bowled the first 800 series. 806 I believe. He was in the military and got it at the old Park Lanes - probably around early 1970's.

I also remember when Dave Frame - bowled the first 300 in ALASKA. It was mid 1960's and happened at Palmer, Alaska.

Dave went on to try the pro tour and struggled.

I saw Voss roll a few at Center Bowl 30 years ago - he had family up there.

We sponsored a team in one of the better leagues, and our good friend (a body shop owner) rolled a 300 wearing our shirt!

I pretty much quit hanging around bowling alleys 20 years ago. Times have changed but those scores you talk about are insane!

.-.-.-.-.Now back to our regular programming.-.-.-.-.

Mark Griffin

Mark, we also had a pro who lived locally - Joe Hutchinson is from Scranton, Pa. He had 4 titles in the 70s and early 80s. Made several appearances on ABCs Pro Bowlers Tour. He was amazing to watch. He always told me that if he had my right hand (people tell me I have huge hands) he would have had 20 titles.

EDIT: Hutch wasn't too shabby on a pool table, either.

Just a quick link.

http://membership.bowl.com/USBCsearch/ViewMember.jsp?prefix=2086&suffix=1068

This link only shows award scores as far back as 1999. Most of my 300s were in the 1990s.

I haven't bowled since the 2006-2007 season. I can't anymore because my left knee is shot. So now I'm back into pool. :cool:

Last edited:

Baby PacMan

My bias makes me RIGHT!
Silver Member
I just asked this question a few days ago, what is the official table size for a high run? Obviously Mosconi holds the record, but people don't play on that size table, or that cut of pocket, at least not in a tournament aspect. I mean, when was time you heard about someone wanting to shim their pockets to 4 7/8"?

So is it really fair to chase Mosconi's record while playing on a 9 foot table with 4.25" pockets? However I do like the idea of each size table having it's own record. That seems more fair then one blanket record of every size table. Anyhow, I do have one question: does anyone know what table size and pocket cut Thomas Engert was playing on when he hit 492?

blackeee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:)
I agree with you. You are correct but I still can not see anyone breaking that record. Maybe, we will see some day. Pockets: one of the reasons why I perfer a Brunswick Gold Crown over a Diamond.

PS; "tksix" Thumbs Up...... If I was that gifted. I too would stop at 525

Ya'll say you'd stop at 525?! I don't for a minute believe that. If I got to 525 I'd be tryin to get to 625

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

:)

Ya'll say you'd stop at 525?! I don't for a minute believe that. If I got to 525 I'd be tryin to get to 625

Hey "blackeee" you have the right to believe what you want but don't think that every person thinks like you.

I had the privilege of spending an afternoon with Mr. Mosconi when I was a kid. I will never forget how kind he was to me.
If I was that gifted to run those type of numbers. I would get enough fame without breaking his record.

Last edited:

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey "blackeee" you have the right to believe what you want but don't think that every person thinks like you.

I had the privilege of spending an afternoon with Mr. Mosconi when I was a kid. I will never forget how kind he was to me.
If I was that gifted to run those type of numbers. I would get enough fame without breaking his record.

This to me is not showing respect at all.

Imagine you're competing in a 100m sprint final against someone you really admire. You're way out in front, the gold is yours for the taking, but instead you back off and let the other guy win. Now he takes first place, but he didn't deserve it. His "win" is illegitimate and tarnished. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to just give me the victory, or deliberately stop short of a record I held. I can hardly think of anything more disrespectful to a fellow competitor.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Respect

This to me is not showing respect at all.

Imagine you're competing in a 100m sprint final against someone you really admire. You're way out in front, the gold is yours for the taking, but instead you back off and let the other guy win. Now he takes first place, but he didn't deserve it. His "win" is illegitimate and tarnished. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to just give me the victory, or deliberately stop short of a record I held. I can hardly think of anything more disrespectful to a fellow competitor.

Dave: I think that your example is a very poor one. Running a race and just about stopping to let another runner win is cheating. it's as bad as "Taking a Dive" in Boxing. It is Dishonest.
"My" stopping after running 525 is nothing like that. I do believe it is showing Mr. Mosconi respect in my mind. There is no disrespect in it at all. Once again, I do respect your opinion but in this case it is wrong when it comes to me and what I believe..

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave: I think that your example is a very poor one. Running a race and just about stopping to let another runner win is cheating. it's as bad as "Taking a Dive" in Boxing. It is Dishonest.
"My" stopping after running 525 is nothing like that. I do believe it is showing Mr. Mosconi respect in my mind. There is no disrespect in it at all. Once again, I do respect your opinion but in this case it is wrong when it comes to me and what I believe..

Just a difference of opinion, I guess!

I don't see stopping the run early as being too far removed from easing up to let someone else win. I think it would devalue the record. I understand that your intentions would be good, I just wouldn't agree with the action. Personally I'd rather see someone break the record than stop short, for numerous reasons. The fans would all love to see a new record set, and I'm sure anyone in attendance would be extremely disappointed to see someone deliberately end their run when they could have eclipsed Mosconi's 526. Imagining myself on both sides, I'd try my best to beat it if I could, and I'd want others to do the same if it were my record that they were chasing. I might not want to see it beaten, but I wouldn't want anyone to just let me hold on to it! It's not like Mosconi becomes irrelevant after his record goes; he will always be seen as one of the greatest straight pool players there has ever been.

Even after beating the record you could still give credit to Mosconi. Maybe give a little speech about "standing on the shoulders of giants" and how honored you are to have your name up there with his. That to me would be more respectful to Mosconi and to the game. Please, if you're ever on 525 with a few balls waiting over the holes, consult the 14.1 forums before you throw in a scratch!

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

I don't see stopping the run early as being too far removed from easing up to let someone else win. I think it would devalue the record. I understand that your intentions would be good, I just wouldn't agree with the action. Personally I'd rather see someone break the record than stop short, for numerous reasons. The fans would all love to see a new record set, and I'm sure anyone in attendance would be extremely disappointed to see someone deliberately end their run when they could have eclipsed Mosconi's 526. Imagining myself on both sides, I'd try my best to beat it if I could, and I'd want others to do the same if it were my record that they were chasing. I might not want to see it beaten, but I wouldn't want anyone to just let me hold on to it! It's not like Mosconi becomes irrelevant after his record goes; he will always be seen as one of the greatest straight pool players there has ever been.

Even after beating the record you could still give credit to Mosconi. Maybe give a little speech about "standing on the shoulders of giants" and how honored you are to have your name up there with his. That to me would be more respectful to Mosconi and to the game. Please, if you're ever on 525 with a few balls waiting over the holes, consult the 14.1 forums before you throw in a scratch!

Dave:
Really good comments and all your points are true (except throwing a race). Yes, It would be cheating if a player entered into a tour. where there was money for breaking Mosconi's record and then the player stopped. That is the same thing as throwing a game. There would be a lot of money lost or won with people betting on the side.
I can totally see your side of it and you are right about the fans watching would be disappointed if a player just stopped. I for one would never put myself in that type of situation, if I had that talent to run those #'s. It is a fine line. I am old enough now and God knows how many years left. That I would be happy with the fame of running high numbers.
Appreciate you.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Records were made to be broken".
I don't care what the record is or who set it. If someone has a chance to break it, it should be broken.

sausage

Banned
Make that two of us.

:kma:

i lost respect for cops long ago especially when they turned into jack-booted-thugs busting down 50,000 doors a year over plants, murdering children in their homes. they just put 60 bullets in an Iraq vet in his home while his 4yo son and wife watched in horror. vermin filth...... everyone sells out freedom for a paycheck. http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Nuts-So

i lost respect for cops long ago especially when they turned into jack-booted-thugs busting down 50,000 doors a year over plants, murdering children in their homes. they just put 60 bullets in an Iraq vet in his home while his 4yo son and wife watched in horror. vermin filth...... everyone sells out freedom for a paycheck. http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

You do not like anyone in authority. Yes, you do not like cops b/c without a doubt you have been handled by the cops many times in your life and it is always the cops fault. They are always picking on you. Maybe b/c you are such a pot head.
You also do not like the Military. Here is a quote from you when you started trouble on my 105 run Thread last June.

(((( Quote;straightman: you "super-patriots" join the army to fight for freedom but then get back home only to piss and moan about it. in this case you get your underwear in a knot over a tongue-in-cheek comic. lol.... if you don't want people dissing you, stop acting like a child.
there have been other players who have outed themselves in these forums. you can now add yourself to that undistinguished list. ))))

Once again, I will repeat the list of trouble that you have started:
He is the one who posted Danny Harriman's mug shot on the Forum.
He started with me b/c I complained about another person using a neg. political cartoon for their avatar.
He wanted to hang Sascha from the beginning.
He started with Sean (Sflsinen). So many times that I can not even remember what all the comments were about.
Now he is on, a few of the players who work their hearts out to promote straight pool.
There are many more negative comments about lesser players shooting abilities.

***We all know where you are coming from. Listen, if you want to write here and participate. Please, try to back up and think before you write things that hurt feelings of others. I can still tolerate you, if you will act decent. It is up to you. I think you owe the 14.1 Forum an apology.

Last edited: