Best Closer

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Best Closer 2016-2019

Of all the pro 9 ball players....who fits this description best?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Assuming we're talking the nine ball era, for me, the names that come to mind are Mike Sigel, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet.

Today, the hardest guy to catch from behind is probably JL Chang, but SVB, Shaw, and Filler are all in the conversation.

All in all, this isn't the easiest of questions.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Assuming we're talking the nine ball era, for me, the names that come to mind are Mike Sigel, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, Buddy Hall and Ralf Souquet.

Today, the hardest guy to catch from behind is probably JL Chang, but SVB, Shaw, and Filler are all in the conversation.

All in all, this isn't the easiest of questions.

Current....2019/18/17-16....Who doesn't rattle?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Current....2019/18/17-16....Who doesn't rattle?

In men's pool, the best closers are:

1. JL Chang
2. Filler
3. SVB
4. Shaw

In women's pool, the best closers are:

1. Han Yu
2. Siming Chen

Good luck catching any of these six phenomenal players from behind.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
They left out Orcollo, the best there is coming from behind when he is in a deep hole, like 10-6 down or when playing the final rack at hill-hill. He can run out from some ungodly spots under pressure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They left out Orcollo, the best there is coming from behind when he is in a deep hole, like 10-6 down or when playing the final rack at hill-hill. He can run out from some ungodly spots under pressure.

Yes, Orcullo is a great come from behind player. I interpreted the question as "who closes out best with the lead?" Wonder if I got it wrong.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, Orcullo is a great come from behind player. I interpreted the question as "who closes out best with the lead?" Wonder if I got it wrong.

I think you can interpret it any way you want. I do know that Dennis knows how to close out a match from ahead or behind. Some guys are better front runners. The real champions are dangerous from anywhere. There are guys out there who I've seen get weak when they fall behind and essentially give up. You know them too!

Island Drive

Silver Member

It's a player that never lets up, no matter the score. A man that has a similar character to Toasty.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you can interpret it any way you want. I do know that Dennis knows how to close out a match from ahead or behind. Some guys are better front runners. The real champions are dangerous from anywhere. There are guys out there who I've seen get weak when they fall behind and essentially give up. You know them too!

Dennis is like a pit bull, for sure.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first thought was Mike Sigel. I also believe Earl belongs on that list.

I also want to tip my hat to Mr. Varner.

Seems like all of these champions close out sets well. You just don't win titles waiting for people to give it to you.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're talking of all time? It has to be Earl Strickland, that guy in the 90's used to be the best closer in a match ever, whenever he's in the finals, 90% of the time he wins it.

whenever he's on the hill, you can say good-game because you know he will close it with his next break!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Two greatest comebacks I was on hand for were:

1) Rodney Morris coming from 9-2 behind against Dennis Orcullo to win double hill in the final of the 2013 Predator 10-ball event at the Rio.
2) Efren Reyes, down 10-1 to Allen Hopkins at the BCA Open came back to win double hill about twenty years ago.

Still, SVB's comeback vs Maximilian Lechner, in which Lechner led 9-0, was one for the ages. SVB won then 10 straight racks to get to the hill but ended up losing double hill. It was a classic display of Shane's never quit attitude.

I think all the great players are great closers, but Sigel was, I believe, the greatest closer in his day, and JL Chang is the best closer of the current crop.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
Varner

I remember Nicky being down 9-1 in a race to 11 playing Sigel, and won.

And keep in mind....Varner was theeeeeeeeeeee only player who went to the Philippines and played Efren in his prime over 3 days and beat em on his home turf.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Nicky being down 9-1 in a race to 11 playing Sigel, and won.

And keep in mind....Varner was theeeeeeeeeeee only player who went to the Philippines and played Efren in his prime over 3 days and beat em on his home turf.

Yup! Nick was great too. Not saying who’s the best, the best closer is Mike. IMO

This is a debatable topic for sure. It’s not clear like who ran the 100 meter dash the fastest. That’s clear. This mist which makes it cool.

I’ve seen some shortstop speed guys who could close great at their level. Of course Mike, Nick could rob them. But for their speed they could close.

Best
Fatboy