Best player ever for the cash?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of threads and talk about who was the GOAT.
But who was the best for the cash?
Action not tournament playing.

Wimpy said Don Willis was but that was a long time ago.
I always heard that Hopkins didn't wilt for the cash no matter the amount.
What say you?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever, bit tough to do that, I mean are ALL the money games recorded over the ages to compare them? Heck, it's though to get a "best" tournament player listing or "best 9 ball player" for things that were pretty well documented.

I am pretty sure the top guy in the Philippines for a while was Orcullo, and if he was the top guy there now with such a large amount of good players these days, it may be safe to say he is the top guy anywhere at anytime LOL

Also we probably need to distinguish between even up matches between top players or some specialty games or husting or matching up well. I mean some guy that gets a big spot and wins often can make a killing as much as a top world player playing another one, or some guy that only plays one game well but is a killer at it, like banks or one pocket. Or a guy that went around robbing truckers at bars that hid his skill. Those would be pretty different lists.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reportedly, (per Freddie Bentivegna, Bill Staton and Grady Matthews) Harold Worst played every cue sport at a world-class level and never lost a tournament or action match during his entire all-too-brief playing career (died at age 37 -- stunning friends and fans alike). Won international 3-C tournaments in several countries beginning at age 24 when was also at the top of his game at all pool disciplines.

Arnaldo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK
Not who won the most cash or tournaments but who held their speed the best under high money stakes pressure.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

What say you?
I read some where....
JaCK cOONEY,
sUPPOSEDLY,
tHE HIGHER THE BET,
THE BETTTER HE PLAYED TOO
MAYBE CONFIRM THIS WITH jAY hELFERT
HE BE ALONG SOON ON HERE

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Wouldn't that be winner???? Playing one's speed under high heat usually usually determines the winner.
No not necessarily. They might have held it better than that particular opponent but that doesn't mean they held it better.

Jaden

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No not necessarily. They might have held it better than that particular opponent but that doesn't mean they held it better.

Jaden
WTF??? What does that even mean?? OP is asking about best cash player. Those who win, cash or trophy, are those that held their speed better.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
WTF??? What does that even mean??
I'm sorry you have difficulty with it. It means that just because they won that match doesn't mean they are better at holding their game in general compared to all players. It simply means they were better at holding their game against THAT opponent on THAT day in THAT match.

They might have played like ass but their opponent at that time played worse.

Jaden

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK
Not who won the most cash or tournaments but who held their speed the best under high money stakes pressure.
"Not who won the most cash or tournaments but who held their speed the best under high money stakes pressure."

. . . or held their speed the best with or without some "jellying"

Arnaldo ~ That would be an interesting -- likely unknowable -- metric

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What say you?
I’m guessing Jay will chime in on this one, and a few Pinoy’s will be on his list.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost impossible to say one was best $ player ever. There were various players who were the top $ getters of their respective eras. Like any other game/sport its pretty tough to compare eras.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Winning doesn't mean you are the best under pressure or for big cash, it means you are the best player. Most no matter how good they play will never gamble without the best of it.

Players like Toby Sweet would give up weight and play a 12 hour session losing of about even and come back the next day to play some more always for his own money.

Many, maybe most, if they break even want to change the game. Mike Caralla was an animal. The higher he bet the better he played. I wish Weenie Beanne was here to talk about Mike. It was like you were afraid to make Mike mad, he would start playing better.

You could ask Jim Mataya (if he is honest) what Mike did to him. Ask Allen Hopkins who called Mike the best player he ever played.
Point of interest, I was there. Toby came to the Congress and Mike would not play and this was when Mike was at the height of his powers. In fact no one would play and this was a room full of champions.

Toby's power was the never quit thing. You were afraid to get into something that was going to be a horrible war with no excape.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Reportedly, (per Freddie Bentivegna, Bill Staton and Grady Matthews) Harold Worst played every cue sport at a world-class level and never lost a tournament or action match during his entire all-too-brief playing career (died at age 37 -- stunning friends and fans alike). Won international 3-C tournaments in several countries beginning at age 24 when was also at the top of his game at all pool disciplines.

Arnaldo
It is a crime Harold Worst's story is not a movie yet .