Best scientific aiming explanation

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hU8xyofyrggipKK2sOLK.png

Well according to the screenshot above from a Dr. Dave video, the pivot point on a LD shaft isn't that much further back than a typical shaft.

I can assure you that my bridge length isn't anywhere near as far back on my Z2. In fact, my pivot point is probably closer to the break shaft pivot point as shown in the picture.

If you're having problems with a LD shaft, maybe you're just doing it wrong. :D

Please do consider the screen shot you posted:
1. Do you know which LD shaft is Dr. Dave referring to?
2. Do you know how much deflection one LD shaft varies to another? Say a Z shaft and a classical OB shaft.
3. When you say it is not far back on your Z2 and pointing out that your pivot point is probably closer to a break shaft pivot point as shown in the picture, do you know what this actually mean? Dr. Dave and I will tell you that your Z2 shaft probably has the highest deflection among all shafts made by Predator.
4. A Z shaft has a smaller diameter, this equate to a lower front end density than that compare to most shaft and even most LD shafts. In order for the Z shaft to have the same deflection as the break cue (which you are comparing with - in the your screen shot), you need to move your bridge far back to get the equivalent mass to the front end (same deflection) don’t you think so?

1. When I said “I will not use a BHE method with a LD shaft”, this does not mean I have a problem using one. IMO BHE shouldn’t be used with a LD if you are intending to play sidespin, unless you have a purpose.
2. This is what I wrote earlier, “The pivot point is just far to the rear”.
And this is according to Dr.Dave, “I used the experiment described above to measure the pivot lengths for several of my cues. Here are the results: Players XIX (12.75 mm shaft): 12.7 inches; Predator Z (11.85 mm shaft): 20.2 inches; Stinger break/jump cue (13.5 mm shaft): 9.2 inches. As you can see, the pivot length can vary quite a lot among different cues. The pivot length I measured for my Predator Z shaft falls outside the comfort zones for using BHE and FHE (for me anyway).”
3. Again according to Dr.Dave, “I personally don’t use BHE or FHE, but the techniques do seem to be helpful to some people.” (He didn't specify if it is for a LD shaft)
4. If you want to use Dr.Dave video for comparison, why not follow what he does and stop using LD shaft with BHE.
5. You can find out from previous thread here on how people actually plays with a LD shaft with great result.

Quote for Dr.Dave taken from:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2007/nov07.pdf

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please do consider the screen shot you posted:
1. Do you know which LD shaft is Dr. Dave referring to?
2. Do you know how much deflection one LD shaft varies to another? Say a Z shaft and a classical OB shaft.
3. When you say it is not far back on your Z2 and pointing out that your pivot point is probably closer to a break shaft pivot point as shown in the picture, do you know what this actually mean? Dr. Dave and I will tell you that your Z2 shaft probably has the highest deflection among all shafts made by Predator.
4. A Z shaft has a smaller diameter, this equate to a lower front end density than that compare to most shaft and even most LD shafts. In order for the Z shaft to have the same deflection as the break cue (which you are comparing with - in the your screen shot), you need to move your bridge far back to get the equivalent mass to the front end (same deflection) don’t you think so?

1. When I said “I will not use a BHE method with a LD shaft”, this does not mean I have a problem using one. IMO BHE shouldn’t be used with a LD if you are intending to play sidespin, unless you have a purpose.
2. This is what I wrote earlier, “The pivot point is just far to the rear”.
And this is according to Dr.Dave, “I used the experiment described above to measure the pivot lengths for several of my cues. Here are the results: Players XIX (12.75 mm shaft): 12.7 inches; Predator Z (11.85 mm shaft): 20.2 inches; Stinger break/jump cue (13.5 mm shaft): 9.2 inches. As you can see, the pivot length can vary quite a lot among different cues. The pivot length I measured for my Predator Z shaft falls outside the comfort zones for using BHE and FHE (for me anyway).”
3. Again according to Dr.Dave, “I personally don’t use BHE or FHE, but the techniques do seem to be helpful to some people.” (He didn't specify if it is for a LD shaft)
4. If you want to use Dr.Dave video for comparison, why not follow what he does and stop using LD shaft with BHE.
5. You can find out from previous thread here on how people actually plays with a LD shaft with great result.

Quote for Dr.Dave taken from:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2007/nov07.pdf

lolwat?

Unless I have a purpose? What does that even mean? Whether I'm using BHE or some other method to apply side spin, the purpose is always the same.

The only problem I have is you seem to claim it's a fact that BHE with a LD shaft is a bad thing. It's not.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
lolwat?

Unless I have a purpose? What does that even mean? Whether I'm using BHE or some other method to apply side spin, the purpose is always the same.

The only problem I have is you seem to claim it's a fact that BHE with a LD shaft is a bad thing. It's not.

Won't you have too much throw if you use BHE with good LD shafts ?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I agree that it's the way to illustrate how the cue ball must be positioned relative to the object ball to create the right angle. This does help beginners to understand the concept of ball pocketing, however, it there's no system {of connection} to show them it gets confusing. imo

I believe in ALIGNING the two balls together and this gives the player a solid connection between the two balls to create the angle. The connection you make above the cue ball visually is the foundation you will use as a reference to build all the angles between cue ball/object ball/pocket.

If you don't stress this relationship, {and just teach the beginner to "aim" one ball at another} it breaks the game into several parts as opposed to "BLENDING" them together.

It's like teaching someone to aim a bow and arrow without teaching them how to stand, load the arrow and pull back the bow.

Ball pocketing is a result of a chain reaction, and it starts with the feet, and aligns to the eyes/cue/cue ball/object ball before you can even begin to hit where you're "aiming".

It's also like sighting a rifle, if you're body and eyes aren't aligned to the gun you will have a tough time hitting the target. 'The Game is the Teacher'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbNlnS9GFk
Breisath explains it well there.
I agree with you.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the feeling of shooting straight our of my chest when I'm down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbNlnS9GFk
Breisath explains it well there.
I agree with you.

Yes, the chin should be aligned with the rest of you body, however, I wouldn't recommend disonnecting it as he suggests here. You wouldn't normally see someone shooting a rifle, or hand gun with their chin out of line with their chest/upper body.

I like feeling the shot is coming out of my chest. Having someone drop their cue straight down from their dominant eye will show where their vertical "shot line" is on their body. That is the line that needs to be IN LINE with their shot line....that's a tongue twister. ;)

The point is the body should be square to the target so there's no unnecessary twisting or turning of the upper body. Even champion players get in this habit an an early age which usually leads to back aches, pains and even surgeries at the upper ages of life.

I like the feeling of shooting straight our of my chest when I'm down, this will assure I'm aligned with my entire upper body, not just my head/chin. imho 'The Game is the Teacher'

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everybody.
JB, I appreciate the time and effort in making videos for detailed explanation of your ideas. However, it does look to me like you are using front hand english along with your back hand english. Your bridge appears to bend in the direction of the english. I certainly may be mistaken, but could this be part of your method for delivering english?

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lines can be perfect but the eyes tell the story......

You can see the lines right but if the dominant eye is not in the most correct position it makes no difference.

You'll miss the difference.

Pro one is great and so is cte along with Perfect Aim and there are others.

Anything that helps a player get the eyes in the right position is the biggest secret to aiming well. Without that it's a crap shoot trying to aim.

It's pretty simple once a person understands.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Power Deflection"

Maybe your coach Mr.Dominic Esposito can explain to you better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1C_O8AO8yY&list=WL048BDED00BB4BD52

This is funny, his stroke isn't precise enough for accurate feedback, this is more like "Power Deflection". :eek: If you notice his cue is going to the far inside on the follow through, this is not what you want to do, however, it does prove an interesting point that I'm getting ready to discuss next week.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
You can see the lines right but if the dominant eye is not in the most correct position it makes no difference.

You'll miss the difference.

Pro one is great and so is cte along with Perfect Aim and there are others.

Anything that helps a player get the eyes in the right position is the biggest secret to aiming well. Without that it's a crap shoot trying to aim.

It's pretty simple once a person understands.

How can any of you instructors preach your systems when the truth is you cannot go at what looks rite.(not all the time)Why dont you guys start telling the truth when pocketing balls things wont look rite. You will never get past that if you wanna get better at running out.
Not once have I ever heard you guys talk about coming thick or thin on the shot.
You guys need to start adding more advice with your systems.
Yes we need to have our head in the rite position but you better know how to handle the shot.
It would be a crap shoot and it dosnt matter where your dominate eyes at if you dont know what your doing.:wink:

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
How can any of you instructors preach your systems when the truth is you cannot go at what looks rite.(not all the time)Why dont you guys start telling the truth when pocketing balls things wont look rite. You will never get past that if you wanna get better at running out.
Not once have I of you ever heard you guys talk about coming thick or thin on the shot.
Yes we need to have our head in the rite position but you better know how to handle the shot.
It would be a crap shoot and it dosnt matter where your dominate eyes at if you dont know what your doing.:wink:

Not able to do it the usual way :) so here kind of a "Greenie" Antony :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Not once have I ever heard you guys talk about coming thick or thin on the shot.

Come on really? You think someone like Geno or Stan are LYING to people.

This makes me want to CURSE when you have the incivility to say this.

They are SIMPLY giving people a consistent way to line up. OF course SOMETIMES you are going to need to CONSCIOUSLY adjust for some reason. That's what Bob Jewett calls pool sense.

How can you give these guys grief when ALL THEY DO is leave a trail of satisfied customers in their wake.

Really uncool from you man, really uncool.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

They are SIMPLY giving people a consistent way to line up. OF course SOMETIMES you are going to need to CONSCIOUSLY adjust for some reason. That's what Bob Jewett calls pool sense.

How can you give these guys grief when ALL THEY DO is leave a trail of satisfied customers in their wake.

Not at all John just falling a little short of the truth.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Has any of them talked about coming thick or thin on the line?Do you run out John aiming at what looks rite?
And I have know doubt there helping people and thats not what Im talking about.Head in the rite position arn't we pass that ,center pocket system.
What about spin ,speed ,deflection,distance.Lets start adding that in while your teaching your system.
What, Guys teaching there systems should lead people half way there,you figure the rest out?
I got it.

Disappointed?..I tell the truth my friend.:wink:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
What would you really like to know that you will actually put into practice?

Has any of them talked about coming thick or thin on the line?Do you run out John aiming at what looks rite?
And I have know doubt there helping people and thats not what Im talking about.Head in the rite position arn't we pass that ,center pocket system.
What about spin ,speed ,deflection,distance.Lets start adding that in while your teaching your system.
What, Guys teaching there systems should lead people half way there,you figure the rest out?
I got it.

Disappointed?..I tell the truth my friend.:wink:

I'm not just an "aiming system guy" but I do know a thing or two. My videos talk about spinning the ball, speed control methods, aiming techniques and of course TOI is the ultimate in deflection teaching.

We just posted 15 new testimonials that came in over the weekend of very happy players that are using TOI. Also just got done giving a weekly lesson to a guy that went from a high run of 19 to 58 in one month working with the Ultimate Pool and TOI Techniques.

Do you have a specific question that is bothering you? I'm in "dead instructional stroke" having worked with a number of league players over the weekend.

What would you really like to know that you will actually put into practice?

481034_583361091689931_424558716_n.jpg