Best template rack?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several template racks available. Any preferences on which is the best - longest-lasting, holds them tightest, easiest to use?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Depends on which set of balls you are using..
The magic rack must be used with super pro or better ball set.
The turtle rack was designed with the Cyclop ball set in mind..
The outsville rack was designed to be used with just about any ball set. The outsville can be crumpled up then ironed flat again.. it’s fairly durable but nothing lasts forever’

Rob.M

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Template racks on the whole are abominations, and have singlehandedly destroyed 9 ball as a valid test of pool skill amongst amateurs.

You're basically asking "Which is better? Eating shit, or swallowing someone else's puke?"

JMHO.

Short Bus Russ

My mom always told me that if i had nothing positive to say I should remain silent. I guess everyones mom is different.... :confused::D

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I wanted to try these out. Bought them off ebay, 6 racks for less than $5. Gave all but two away.

Works well. No complaints from anybody.

I keep one sandwiched between two sheets of printer/copier paper, roll it and slip it in a butt tube of my case, for those times when no decent Diamond wood rack can be had.

YMMV

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need a new one too. Have the outsville and it has served me well, but the 1 hole looks like a victim.

Had is for prob 5+yr, couple hours a Month average use.

I can't run a 5 pack without it!

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only template rack that I have tried is the Magic Rack. Always gives a nice tight rack for me. For the record, I have never eaten s**t or swallowed puke :barf:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several template racks available. Any preferences on which is the best - longest-lasting, holds them tightest, easiest to use?

Magic Rack and AccuRack are pretty equal, both have some advantages.

AccuRack works better with older and uneven sized balls, Magic Rack is narrower and easier to remove. AccuRack also has some supporters due to material being more like the table cloth, but in my usage of both I don't see it working better due to that.

AccuRack also gives a bit closer rack to a standard rack, but tight, Magic Rack tends to "load" the balls by pushing them together more, which creates a different type of break that is not as natural. The balls are not just tight, they are leaning into the center. AccuRack makes the sit close on each-other but they are not pushing in as much.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to try these out. Bought them off ebay, 6 racks for less than $5. Gave all but two away.

Works well. No complaints from anybody.

I keep one sandwiched between two sheets of printer/copier paper, roll it and slip it in a butt tube of my case, for those times when no decent Diamond wood rack can be had.

YMMV

I got a set of knock-off Magic Racks, not a single one was cut properly. Tested on 3 different ball sets, all in good shape. Gaps all over the place.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic Rack and AccuRack are pretty equal, both have some advantages.

AccuRack works better with older and uneven sized balls, Magic Rack is narrower and easier to remove. AccuRack also has some supporters due to material being more like the table cloth, but in my usage of both I don't see it working better due to that.

AccuRack also gives a bit closer rack to a standard rack, but tight, Magic Rack tends to "load" the balls by pushing them together more, which creates a different type of break that is not as natural. The balls are not just tight, they are leaning into the center. AccuRack makes the sit close on each-other but they are not pushing in as much.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try the Accurack just to try something new.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried the Magic Rack and the Accu-Rack.

I prefer the Accu-Rack and will have to say that I preferred my "original" Accu-Rack to the new one I have. I got one of the first Accu-Racks from Outsville in a give-away on here and used it forever and ever. I still have it, but it doesn't hold the balls as tight as it once did.

No matter which rack you get, the hole that the head ball sits in is going to "stretch out" and become looser over time because of the wear and tear caused by the heat and friction of the head ball coming across it so fast and hard.

In the case of my original Accu-Rack, I "shored" up the hole a little tighter by cutting off a tiny piece of one of those fabric iron-on patches and ironed it over the front edge of the head ball hole to keep the ball back a little further.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to revive this thread a bit, I've used a magic rack for years and recently purchased both an accu-rack set and the turtle rack. I would rank them:

1) Turtle Rack
2) Magic Rack
3) Accu-rack

The Turtle rack is pretty amazing. The balls fit perfectly tight first time on, and for any game. It's sturdy enough that it doesn't move/bunch up. And it's easy enough to remove even with balls inside its perimeter. Bonus points that I only need one rack for all games.

With the Magic rack I still had to check carefully to make sure there were no gaps, and the 8-ball rack especially was flimsy and move-y enough that it a bit of a pain. It still worked great, overall, but there was more to deal with.

I don't like the Accu-rack much at all. It's very flimsy and pretty easily moves around the table when racking so I have to be super-careful. It's got ads on it (??) and writing all around, including written directions to "load 8 then push." And I found when I do put the balls in there are gaps so I do have to push them together, just like a classic wooden rack. It's just too much for me--too much having to be careful, too much fiddling, too much visuals. Maybe I'm just not appreciating what it does do well, but my concern is racking correctly and quickly with minimal fuss. It will only do in a pinch. I did really like the sturdy plastic sleeve it came in, and will probably use that to tote my racks around.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Accu-rack is my favorite.
I've only tried that and Magic.
I love the material. I think it grabs the cloth better and doesn't slide as easy.
Definitely doesn't slide much if at all on the break shot.
Many Pro's rated it favorably for that reason.
I can rack it quick and tight.
Been using for about 7 yrs.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny that you bumped this up again. I have used a turtle rack since posting this, and I do think it's more reliable at sticking the balls together than the magic rack, which still causes me problems with gaps. I had the turtle rack with the triangle, not the circle in the middle. Unfortunately I left it on top of a pool light somewhere. :rolleyes:

I still have not used the accu-rack.

VVP

Registered
I got a set of knock-off Magic Racks, not a single one was cut properly. Tested on 3 different ball sets, all in good shape. Gaps all over the place.
When using the Magic Rack to rack for 8 ball make sure the horizontal diamond in the middle of one of the sides is at the bottom (parallel to the bottom short rail, else you will not get a good rack. Note that the middle diamond in the other two sides are NOT horizontal. Hope this helps though it is confusing to explain. Look at the rack and you will see what I mean. I love magic racks.