best way to make pockets tighter on golld crown

corpse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am buying a Gold Crown II was wondering if just shimming the pockets is the best way to go or if there is another method also if anyone has a video posted anywhere that would be awesome.

JZMechanix

Silver Member
It all depends on how tight you want the finished dimensions to be. What size are the current dimensions? If you want to get the corners down to 4 1/2" you will need subrail extensions. If you just want to tighten them up a little bit you can replace the current facings with thicker ones. It is not recommended to "stack" facings as it will make the pockets play bad. Subrail extensions are the way to go, but require a skilled mechanic and will cost you more $$$.

corpse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for your response

It all depends on how tight you want the finished dimensions to be. What size are the current dimensions? If you want to get the corners down to 4 1/2" you will need subrail extensions. If you just want to tighten them up a little bit you can replace the current facings with thicker ones. It is not recommended to "stack" facings as it will make the pockets play bad. Subrail extensions are the way to go, but require a skilled mechanic and will cost you more $$$.

thanks for your reply Im not sure what subrail extensions are? I assume it means extending the rail rubber a bit, I guess I will have to find a mechanic in my area

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
thanks for your reply Im not sure what subrail extensions are? I assume it means extending the rail rubber a bit, I guess I will have to find a mechanic in my area

where are you? you want to find someone that has been trained by Glen, we all do great sub-rail extension work.

JZMechanix

Silver Member

Yes it does include extending the rail rubber. In order to do that, wood shims are permanently attached to the ends of the subrail, either keeping the factory miter and down angles or they can be modified to mimic another table (I.E. "DIAMONDIZING"). Let us know your location and we can recommend a contact for you.

corpse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my location

Yes it does include extending the rail rubber. In order to do that, wood shims are permanently attached to the ends of the subrail, either keeping the factory miter and down angles or they can be modified to mimic another table (I.E. "DIAMONDIZING"). Let us know your location and we can recommend a contact for you.

I live about an hour southeast of columbus OH in Nelsonville had a friend who has worked on tables for 18 years set up the 8 footer i have now the pockets play terrible and the cloth is so loose i can pick it up from the table 4 inches also one of the pockets has a wrinkle in front of it after brushing would love to have someone do the table I am buying the right way I for sure won't have my "friend" do it

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with the thicker facings on my GC III and ended up with 4 3/4" corners and 5 1/4" side pockets. If you put two balls in the jaws so they are just about to fall, its 4 1/2" After playing on it for a few months I am very happy with the size and play of the pockets. Its nice to be able to make a ball in a pocket that has a ball in the jaws already. It also helps to be able to cheat the pocket a little bit more to get shape. I do wish I had replaced the cushions though.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Give me a call or shoot me a PM. Can't promise how much time we'll have to do it in the immediate future, but I can promise we'll do the work right. We're in Dayton, Ohio, so no too far from you.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Corpse, Josh/club billiards is your guy.... How ever long it takes to get him there, wait, it will be well worth it.