Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear where you are coming from Lou but every single sport has made advancements in equipment. I do not think those made in pool give anyone that big of an advantage over players of the past. Pool balls are still 2.25" but are made from a better material today and the "regulation" size table is still 4.5' x 9' but with better cloth today. There have been other technological advancements but they do not seem to give players an unfair advantage over their predecessors. You still need to properly line up and deliver a straight stroke; regardless of what you are swinging. As for other sports, baseball gloves are far better than those from the '50's and bats are lighter (for the most part) with varied tapers to meet player's specs. These advancements certainly help players field more cleanly and deliver higher bat speeds. In basketball, the shoe technology has definitely helped the game. Could you imagine LeBron running up and down the court in a pair of Chuck's? In football, the safety equipment has evolved the game. Imagine everyone running around in leather helmets. My point is, all sports have evolved and helped players achieve greatness which is why it is so difficult to compare different eras. Mosconi's record still stands after 64+ years which is a testament to the difficulty of the game not the equipment used.

In some instances though, evolution will almost guarantee a record to stand. Case in point: DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak set in 1941. I think this may be one of the rare instances where a record will stand forever. The game has evolved to a point where pitching is now specialized. I'm sure DiMaggio extended his streak more than once in the late innings facing a tired starting pitcher. Today, fresh arms are coming out of the bullpen with regularity and most throw 100+ mph. It's going to be real tough to hit in 56 straight in today's game.

I don't think we disagree, Rex.

Lou Figueroa

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'll answer the LAST question. ALL GREAT players adapt! Another point, in 3C, we do WAY MORE with the CB and 2nd ball! Thus, the difficulty factor over pool! I started in 1963, ivory balls, directional cloth, slower rubber, unheated tables, and still have a record that has NEVER been broken! 62 straight sanctioned tournament game victories with 9 tournament wins in a row in 1983! I loss the 63rd game to Lee Kravitz at the Cushion & Cue in Oak Park, MI. Ray Abram's place. I still won that tournament.

I'm aware of players, good ones adapting....But.

Last question....How about the reverse? How would Billiard players in 2019 like to play with non Billiard cloth and be forced to play with with much slower cloth?

PS my grandparents lived in Oak Park, me Glen Ellyn.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll answer the LAST question. ALL GREAT players adapt! Another point, in 3C, we do WAY MORE with the CB and 2nd ball! Thus, the difficulty factor over pool! I started in 1963, ivory balls, directional cloth, slower rubber, unheated tables, and still have a record that has NEVER been broken! 62 straight sanctioned tournament game victories with 9 tournament wins in a row in 1983! I loss the 63rd game to Lee Kravitz at the Cushion & Cue in Oak Park, MI. Ray Abram's place. I still won that tournament.

Hi, Bill. I just read your Biography on your website and have a question. You had a high run of 24 in 1983, which, obviously, is fantastic. But you claim it was "equivalent to running 1000 to 1500 balls playing straight pool." Given that runs of 24 or more have been achieved in 3C several (many?) times (I don't know how many), and no one has come close (verifiably) to 1000-1500 in 14.1, why do you think 24 in 3C is equivalent to 1000-1500 in 14.1?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Given that runs of 24 or more have been achieved in 3C several (many?) times (I don't know how many), ...
The current record in competition for 3-cushion is 28 which four players are tied for (Komori, Ceulemans, Forthomme, and Caudron, see Wikipedia).

The highest straight pool run in competition is 200 (and out) by Darren Appleton. For a long time it was 182 set by Joe Procita against Willie Mosconi on a 5x10 table. I don't think it is fair to count the runs at DCC as being in competition since there is no opponent during the qualifying innings, but there have been several runs there over 200.

Here is a related article by George Fels about Procita: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=230

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Hi, Bill. I just read your Biography on your website and have a question. You had a high run of 24 in 1983, which, obviously, is fantastic. But you claim it was "equivalent to running 1000 to 1500 balls playing straight pool." Given that runs of 24 or more have been achieved in 3C several (many?) times (I don't know how many), and no one has come close (verifiably) to 1000-1500 in 14.1, why do you think 24 in 3C is equivalent to 1000-1500 in 14.1?

I made that high run of 24 in an exhibition game with my mentor, Ernie Presto at, 'State & Madison Billiards' in Rockford, IL. The 3C tables there were, Brunswick Arcade unheated, with Simonis #1 cloth and K43 rubber! It would be like playing on Simonis 760 pool cloth,

This is why I stated back then it would compare to running 1000-1500 balls, because the records that I achieved were all on the, 'Old style' equipment! NOT on the standard better heated tables, cues, balls & rubber that we play on today!

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I'm aware of players, good ones adapting....But.

Last question....How about the reverse? How would Billiard players in 2019 like to play with non Billiard cloth and be forced to play with with much slower cloth?

PS my grandparents lived in Oak Park, me Glen Ellyn.

They might not like it, but, the BEST players will adapt, simple as that!

Just as in pool, the game took a better stroke back in the day. NOW, especially, in 3 cushion, the game is ALL about accuracy, which is achieved with more consistency with the ALL better conditions & equipment!

BTW, in the late 60's I would frequent, 'Oak Park Billiards,' they had about 4 or 5 3C tables. They didn't keep them in good shape!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made that high run of 24 in an exhibition game with my mentor, Eenie Presto at, 'State & Madison Billiards' in Rockford, IL. The 3C tables there were, Brunswick Arcade unheated, with Simonis #1 cloth and K43 rubber! It would be like playing on Simonis 760 pool cloth,

This is why I stated back then it would compare to running 1000-1500 balls, because the records that I achieved were all on the, 'Old style' equipment! NOT on the standard better heated tables, cues, balls & rubber that we play on today!

hmmmm... 1000 pool balls run... 24 billiards run...that's a run of about 41 pool balls per billiard.

Lou Figueroa
who knew?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Dr 9 Ball, I recall George Rood telling me that he owned the place where the 526 Run happened & it was on an 8 foot Table. Can you verify that..?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hey Dr 9 Ball, I recall George Rood telling me that he owned the place where the 526 Run happened & it was on an 8 foot Table. Can you verify that..?

George Rood and Russ Maddox were partners in that room.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
hmmmm... 1000 pool balls run... 24 billiards run...that's a run of about 41 pool balls per billiard.

Lou Figueroa
who knew?

As YOU mentioned, the longer the run, the MORE difficult to maintain!

YOUR math doesn't equate that simply! Don't forget to add to that equation, in straight pool, you will have, '15 options' to choose a shot! In 3c, you have ONLY 2 balls and at least 3 or more cushion the player MUST have to achieve a single point!

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everybody says it was an 8-foot table. Willie said it was an 8-foot table. The signed and notarized affidavit says it was an 8-foot table. I think it's pretty well settled.

George Rood bought the place some time after the run. George told me that at least three people think they have the 8-foot table that the run occurred on. He said that with a twinkle in his eye.

Since we are talking about high runs, George also told me that once he was playing a guy 50-no-count (no run under 50 counts for George) in games to 100. He ran 100-and-out 11 times during the session.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As YOU mentioned, the longer the run, the MORE difficult to maintain!

YOUR math doesn't equate that simply! Don't forget to add to that equation, in straight pool, you will have, '15 options' to choose a shot! In 3c, you have ONLY 2 balls and at least 3 or more cushion the player MUST have to achieve a single point!

Well your math ain't right either.

As you go through a rack your get fewer and fewer choices and eventually end up with *uno.* And besides, sure there are only two balls to shoot off of at 3C but there are always a number of options. I saw Harry Sims demonstrate five ways to score off one position. It was pretty impressive.

Anywhos, I have a high run of eight at 3C so I guess that makes me a 300 ball runner.

Lou Figueroa
feeling' pretty good

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Well your math ain't right either.

As you go through a rack your get fewer and fewer choices and eventually end up with *uno.* And besides, sure there are only two balls to shoot off of at 3C but there are always a number of options. I saw Harry Sims demonstrate five ways to score off one position. It was pretty impressive.

Anywhos, I have a high run of eight at 3C so I guess that makes me a 300 ball runner.

Lou Figueroa
feeling' pretty good

Knowing how to make any position in 3C 5 different ways, isn't always a good thing! Knowing the, VERY FIRST correct shot, is what leads to high runs in 3 cushion!

It most likely, made you lucky!

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
As many may or may not know, Willie Mosconi's Best friend and Pool & Billiard historian, Charlie Ursitti passed away this morning!

He was a VERY DEAR friend of mine for the last 10-12 years.

When I saw this or maybe it was another thread on, 'Mosconi's 526 ball' run,I decided to ask none other than the single person alive at the time what ACTUAL light he could shine on this highly debated record!

I did not read every post in this or other threads on the subject, but, I could tell there were plenty of, YEH and NASAYERS about Willie's run and how if the players today would have any chance of duplicating or surpassing the 526 under the same conditions!

So, I called up Charlie and we had about a 30 minute conversation about Willie and that so Godly talent of his! This was a little over 2 years ago, as to we both were going thru severe health issues, although, his more serious than my own.

Here's the audio of that conversation.

https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion/videos/vb.100000974825519/2354177401291398/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993
Thanks but........
Good forum edict is to post in a NEW thread!
Not bump an old one and have it buried on page 19. JS.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks but........
Good forum edict is to post in a NEW thread!
Not bump an old one and have it buried on page 19. JS.

I'll keep that in mind!

I usually agree with you, 9....but not this time.
Things get buried forever with multiple threads...
...I’d rather see it all together in one thread...and not cater to ones who don’t like to read.

I opened a book store for illiterates once...I went bankrupt.....

...pt...wants to see this thread get 526 posts

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing how to make any position in 3C 5 different ways, isn't always a good thing! Knowing the, VERY FIRST correct shot, is what leads to high runs in 3 cushion!

It most likely, made you lucky!

Certainly you cannot be implying that Harry didn't know the correct first option, though he was capable of demonstrating there are always alternative ways to think about a shot for any number of reasons.

And no, they were eight solid billiards, no luck involved. Maybe you're projecting in the knowledge that you shee-at out during the course of your 24 ;-)

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Certainly you cannot be implying that Harry didn't know the correct first option, though he was capable of demonstrating there are always alternative ways to think about a shot for any number of reasons.

And no, they were eight solid billiards, no luck involved. Maybe you're projecting in the knowledge that you shee-at out during the course of your 24 ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Harry was , 'shot maker' and 'system player' for a short period in his life, he played well enough to win the, 'Nationals' in San Jose, where he was the table mechanic. He was from Decatur, IL. He was a student of Joe Macdevitt, a very good regional player in his time. I'm pretty sure, I knew Harry and his game when he was in his prime, better than you!

If YOU really don't understand the game of 3 cushion, YOU don't know what the luck REALLY is in a high run!

BTW, Harry never beat me in a tournament, he tied me one year where points were used for win/loss/ties with equal innings! That was under the, BFUSA.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harry was , 'shot maker' and 'system player' for a short period in his life, he played well enough to win the, 'Nationals' in San Jose, where he was the table mechanic. He was from Decatur, IL. He was a student of Joe Macdevitt, a very good reginal player in his time. I'm pretty sure, I knew Harry and his game when he was in his prime, better than you!

If YOU really don't understand the game of 3 cushion, YOU don't know what the luck REALLY is in a high run!

BTW, Harry never beat me in a tournament, he tied me one year where points were used for win/loss/ties with equal innings! That was under the, BFUSA.

I watched Harry, RIP, play here in St. Louis for many years. He was a very fine player and apparently good enough to tie you, regardless of the rules.

Lou Figueroa