Biggest surprise (On finish) at SBE

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the hell is going on in this thread now, except that I regret making that bad joke in my post about bribes. I promise not to quit my day job to become a comedian.

It sure is difficult to tell by reading posts if people are kidding or incompetent.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the hell is going on in this thread now, except that I regret making that bad joke in my post about bribes. I promise not to quit my day job to become a comedian.

It sure is difficult to tell by reading posts if people are kidding or incompetent.

You were inadvertently responsible for one of the best thread turns ever. No apologies necessary. :rotflmao:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You were inadvertently responsible for one of the best thread turns ever. No apologies necessary.
:):wink::grin:

iownthe412

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is not Sergio's dad!! I met Sergio and his dad this past week. Sergio gambled a bit with my best friend. Very nice kid and I don't see his dad as being the type to pay someone off for something like that.

I found a picture of the dad sweating his son's action. Word on the street is that he made bigger payoffs deeper into the bracket. The dad, whose name is Jason or Stanley, may take his son on trips to Rhode Island or Idaho. ;)

View attachment 217699

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen the kid play and he may be great. If he does I hope he makes it as a pro someday. First, dad must not have enough confidence in his own son to win with his own talent. This is not the way we are learn winning and loosing. Makes me question, Is the kid a spoiled brat when his way is not bought. Second, if dad is bribing players, IMO there is no room for this. He should be banned from the tournamnet indefinately. Why do people think this is ok?

Brand new and doesn't read full posts:confused:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I don't know what to make of these buy-off allegations - fact or fiction. All I can think of, first and foremost, is the young player Sergio. If and when he finds out @ this, it's troubling to think @ what it could do to his mind-set and game.

On the other hand, it's probably better he learns sooner than later that there's a million f'd up things in pool he's going to have to fade if he wants to work his way up to trailer park living in his 50's.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen the kid play and he may be great. If he does I hope he makes it as a pro someday. First, dad must not have enough confidence in his own son to win with his own talent. This is not the way we are learn winning and loosing. Makes me question, Is the kid a spoiled brat when his way is not bought. Second, if dad is bribing players, IMO there is no room for this. He should be banned from the tournamnet indefinately. Why do people think this is ok?

To #Cruncher ... This is why you shouldn't make jokes like this even when you say it's a joke. Too many people scan through without reading the whole message and now we have people responding like he was really some kind of cheater.

Edited ... I see you realized this already. It shouldn't be that dangerous to make a joke and say in the same post that it is a joke, but that's how it is.

I took a Business Writing class at work and they said keep your emails to no more than three short paragraphs because people won't read more than that. I was like "What?! What if I need to convey more information than can be crammed into three short paragraphs?" Their answer, "Break it up into multiple emails or put it in a Word doc and attach it." Irritating and stupid, but turns out to be true with some people. The more information you're sharing, the less likely they are to read it.

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sergios a great kid and His dad Joe doesn't come any better......

Hi there, I just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth.

I had the pleasure of seeing and playing against Sergios father Joe over the years. He's a great guy and is really good for Sergio in this sometimes rough and ramble pool world. I know him personally, great guy, and would do just about anything to help out a friend.

I had the pleasure of working with Sergio about a year ago. He's come a long ways since then. I was invited into their home and got to see where Sergio does all that hard work he's incorperated into his game.

If I had a son and couldn't guide him around I would trust Joe to take him here and there to play pool knowing he was in excellent hands. It don't get any better than this.

Joe would get a kick out of the millionaire joke thing though. He's just a hard working person like the rest of us making a living and making a good life for his family and friends.

Joe is also one of those people that is just good for pool overall. I know he will teach all his aspects of the game to Sergio including how to be a fine young man.

Gooooo SSSEEEERRGIOOOOOO.

Good Luck my young friend. your biggest fan. geno.........

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duly noted Purpdrag. It makes me envious how others (Smorg, Watchez) were able to convey their sarcasm through words.

Also, very classy post genomachino. Tap, tap.

Last edited:

killerstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I apologize

I will stand up as a man and admit I was quick to answer and post. I was wrong and I apologize. Beat me up if you must. All of you were right I didn't read the whole story. No excuses!!!!

wmosconi

Payoffs??? Come on now

The intelligence of the American public never ceases to amaze me. I like the comments about voting because we should probably bring back tests to ensure that morons are not voting for politicians.

Hopefully this thread will set the record straight. I am not sure how this thread went from a joke into a weird mix of the vagaries and vicissitudes of ignorance. Sergio is the real deal. The picture of his father, who supposedly pays people off, is not of Joe Rivas Sr. His father is not that tall and weighs less. Joe is not a millionaire; he is just the opposite. He works third shift and is trying to provide the best life he can for Sergio when it comes to him exceling at pool. Sergio is the real deal, and his father does not have to pay off players to dump games.

It is unfortunate that things like this come up. I was just playing some 9-ball with Sergio in Waukesha, WI this past weekend. He is a nice kid and is 13 or 14 now. Imagine if he reads this thread. Sergio would be quite disappointed. The sad thing for the game is that Sergio and I talked more about his aspirations to get a college degree and get into hip-hop music production. The kid is a bit disenchanted with the game as it is. I sure hope he sticks with it because Sergio has a great deal of talent and could become a force on the tour as an adult.

Next time you are going to keep a thread going, please try to be more creative than having a monosyllabic discussion. Trust me, if Joe Rivas Sr. was rich, he would have me play his son for more than a race to 5 for $10. Sergio is just a regular kid who happens to be excellent at pool. If Joe is rich, he owes me for buying him a couple of drinks from the bar this weekend.

wmosconi

Picture of Joe Rivas

Last thing from me. I did not notice at first, but the guy in the picture of "Joe Rivas" is wearing sandals. Trust me, Joe would not be caught dead in sandals. In fact, I have never seen him wear anything other than Jordans. Funny thing is that the guy wears similar shoes to Sergio. I always give Joe a hard time for wearing his Jordans and his Nike Air Jordan T-shirts. Guess it would help to use Adobe Acrobat to touch up the photo and take away the sandals. Your post might be more believable then. Thanks for all that you do to perpetuate the idea that pool players are just "bangers" who are uneducated and just come to drink at the bar and then go back to the trailer park to beat their wives.

King Hester

Sharp Shooter
Silver Member
Around the time that picture was posted on this thread, there was a different thread about getting info on a road player. That pic was basically "poking fun" about a different thread.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Last thing from me. I did not notice at first, but the guy in the picture of "Joe Rivas" is wearing sandals. Trust me, Joe would not be caught dead in sandals. In fact, I have never seen him wear anything other than Jordans. Funny thing is that the guy wears similar shoes to Sergio. I always give Joe a hard time for wearing his Jordans and his Nike Air Jordan T-shirts. Guess it would help to use Adobe Acrobat to touch up the photo and take away the sandals. Your post might be more believable then. Thanks for all that you do to perpetuate the idea that pool players are just "bangers" who are uneducated and just come to drink at the bar and then go back to the trailer park to beat their wives.

Not sure why this thread was returned to the front page. Having lost to Sergio last year at SBE, I gained a respect for both Sergio and Joe. Sergio played Dennis Hatch at the Pro 10 Ball event at this years SBE and lost on the hill. He had an opportunity to win the final point. Got slightly out of line on the eight and missed a bank on the nine. Really classy young man. Has a very bright future in the game if he chooses to continue. His old brother plays every bit as well. What a family!!! And yes, that is definitely NOT Joe!

Looking forward to watching Sergio play at the BCAPL's. Probably won't get a chance to play him again this year. If I do and he beats me, he sure will deserve the win!

Lyn

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The+problem+with+the+world+is+that+the+intelligent+people+are+full+of+doubts+while+the+stupid+ones+are+full+of+confidence.jpg

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Any video of this kid playing maybe on youtube?? It's amazing how good this kid is at 12..Americans need some young talent to start stepping up, but 12??? UNBELIEVABLE!

Any video of this kid playing maybe on youtube?? It's amazing how good this kid is at 12..Americans need some young talent to start stepping up, but 12??? UNBELIEVABLE!

That's the age to be playing so good. Start much later and you can forget about ever getting to pro speed.

Still, great thread - for a variety of reasons. Stick Barton fighting the world in and you've got the lot.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure I'll see Sergio, and perhaps his whole family this weekend in Beloit (unless they go down to the Southern). The whole family shoots just great! They are in line with the Iowa Behnke family. And can't forget another "kid" from Wisconsin by the name of Tyler Styer. Anyone who thinks pool doesn't have a future with the younger players has not been in the midwest lately.