Billy Thorpe gone wild!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So...............did they finish? Who won the pool match?
I heard at the time of the incident, Billy was down >1k. In the end, Billy either got even or up a little.

Unless Robb was playing some other angle. I would have called it once Billy rushed me. I mean what's worse... slug racking a guy or actual attacking him...?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I'm not giving excuses to their behaviour, but I've been saying this for years! there's a flaw in the game of pool, if there's no solution to this then it can happen to most of who play the game seriously.

The flaw is the rack and the break, fix this one issue because both of them "Rack + Break" are related to one issue, fix it and you solve the game.

Snooker players have that fixed cause you must break a safety, there's never an issue with snooker cause they fix the issue for pro-level.

Now find a solution for pool pro-level, fix the rack and break, we need a genius to fix it and still make it interesting because we know people love shooting that break shot very hard, but it really need a fix, we can't rely on an important shot and while making it a lucky shot but also some ppl rig it and make it desirable for them, I know ppl who rig racks and run 5 packs, it's crazy, fix the break and rack and we have a game.
You must break a safety? Couldn't you just ram into the cherries and if you make one keep shooting?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t agree with that one either. The high spot/rack helps, but still players can learn to make a ball in the corner or the 1-ball in the side virtually every break, and on top of that if they are permitted to pattern rack there is no telling how many racks a pro player could string together. The best solution for pro level players is 4-inch pockets!

it's still the best solution at the moment. not perfect, but a lot better than the triangle.

i saw worse outcomes than this at my local pool hall, where 9-ball is the weekly tournament, when we used the triangle. about 90% of brawls and disputes went away when the racking template came. (not excusing this kind of behavior, just stating facts)

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Yep you could but there's no dead ball on the break, so it would suicidal
I differ with you. Break them wide open and see where the cherries land, you will have them all over the table. Snooker players like things below the side pockets.
You would also have balls frozen to rails, locked up on colored balls, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's a shame American pool players feel they can behave this way with impunity.

Not too long ago I witnessed another USA MC player acting like a little bitch in a small local tournament. It was beyond pathetic.

Lou Figueroa
Indeed, Lou, but for decades now, countless American pros (and I've know at least 100 of them as friends over the years) take the view "I will behave tastefully and present myself gracefully when someone pays me enough to do so." It is a delusional view of how the world works. In the real world, it is tasteful behavior and graceful self-presentation that bring those hoping for advancement a step closer to success.

Hence, American pool players who think they can behave this way with impunity are correct on the most basic level. Looking more closely, however, they compromise their prospects of ever getting paid real money, make their sport less attractive to youth and more objectionable to their parents, and ensure the continuation of pool's poor image, which scares away potential out-of-industry sponsors.

It's a deep rooted problem in American pro pool's culture, and until American pros hold each other accountable when they compromise their sport's good name, it's hard to be bullish on Matchroom's odyssey to bring greater professionalism to American pool. Still, if anyone can pull it off, it's Matchroom.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I differ with you. Break them wide open and see where the cherries land, you will have them all over the table. Snooker players like things below the side pockets.
You would also have balls frozen to rails, locked up on colored balls, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

i think both steve davis and quinten hann experimented with that but soon gave it up

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Indeed, Lou, but for decades now, countless American pros (and I've know at least 100 of them as friends over the years) take the view "I will behave tastefully and present myself gracefully when someone pays me enough to do so." It is a delusional view of how the world works. In the real world, it is tasteful behavior and graceful self-presentation that bring those hoping for advancement a step closer to success.

Hence, American pool players who think they can behave this way with impunity are correct on the most basic level. Looking more closely, however, they compromise their prospects of ever getting paid real money, make their sport less attractive to both youth and more objectionable to their parents, and ensure the continuation of pool's poor image, which scares away potential out-of-industry sponsors.

It's a deep rooted problem in American pro pool's culture, and until American pros hold each other accountable when they compromise their sport's good name, it's hard to be bullish on Matchroom's odyssey to bring greater professionalism to American pool.
I liked this. Then I clicked unlike, then clicked like again, just so I could like this twice.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
On a stream, Earl said they should put the one on the spot, but also have to break from the other spot with no soft beak allowed. Could this be a solution?

Sad that Billy lost it...

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a stream, Earl said they should put the one on the spot, but also have to break from the other spot with no soft beak allowed. Could this be a solution?

Sad that Billy lost it...
One can only take cheating so far before they lose it. Yes Rob was cheating by manipulating the rack. But let’s blame Billy for having to deal with a low life like Rob who’s cheating. Morons.

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Are we not professionals? Are we not ******* professionals?”

LOL seems like he answered that.

If the rack is that far off, as he says, why not ask for another re-rack instead of crying about it after the fact.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
One can only take cheating so far before they lose it. Yes Rob was cheating by manipulating the rack. But let’s blame Billy for having to deal with a low life like Rob who’s cheating. Morons.
He claimed he was giving him shit racks drunk and down $1,400 so take that for what its worth.

If I'm playing $200 a game I'm not taking a shit rack from anybody.

If Billy was accepting shit racks its on him period.

Scrunge19

Registered
Here are the two posts Billy made about this incident. The second one contains an apology, but my money is on the first one containing his real thoughts on the matter.

In his mind this is no big deal and we're all just keyboard warriors making a big deal about things that happen when "two guys gamble." So this doesn't strike me as real remorse for what happened, just someone going through the motions to try and limit the damage.

1612666161877.png

1612666182216.png