Billy Thorpe gone wild!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Here are the two posts Billy made about this incident. The second one contains an apology, but my money is on the first one containing his real thoughts on the matter.

In his mind this is no big deal and we're all just keyboard warriors making a big deal about things that happen when "two guys gamble." So this doesn't strike me as real remorse for what happened, just someone going through the motions to try and limit the damage.

View attachment 584345

View attachment 584346
People get hot all the time, it happens.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just listened to Billy and he explained what happened. IMHO its all good. Lets try to understand that it can happen and he has shown remorse.
Yup!! I am a key board warrior and I agree. Not the best look but he has taken ownership of it.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy was just talking as a special guest on the Danny vs Chris match and IMO, I don't think he did himself any favors. He blamed alcohol, Rob, Johnny (more so jokingly), and himself, somewhat. Hard to say what % you would put to any of the things I just mentioned. With that being said, I highly doubt Matchroom would feel good about it, if they saw it (apology) and were potentially considering him for next year. With all that being said, I've done a ton of dumb shit and IMO, most people seem to be more upset with his couple of apologies and explanations rather than the event it's self. I think if he just said "shit, I fucked up, I really fucked up and I need to take a hard look at myself and figure out whatever I need to do to make sure this never happens again" and took more of that approach, this story would go away fairly quickly. IMO his tone and apology, was nothing anywhere near this. Just my two cents.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy was just talking as a special guest on the Danny vs Chris match and IMO, I don't think he did himself any favors. He blamed alcohol, Rob, Johnny (more so jokingly), and himself, somewhat. Hard to say what % you would put to any of the things I just mentioned. With that being said, I highly doubt Matchroom would feel good about it, if they saw it (apology) and were potentially considering him for next year. With all that being said, I've done a ton of dumb shit and IMO, most people seem to be more upset with his couple of apologies and explanations rather than the event it's self. I think if he just said "shit, I fucked up, I really fucked up and I need to take a hard look at myself and figure out whatever I need to do to make sure this never happens again" and took more of that approach, this story would go away fairly quickly. IMO his tone and apology, was nothing anywhere near this. Just my two cents.
Agree 100%

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Maybe, but Billy may still be in a place that he does not understand. It seems, at least with myself that it takes time and a little distance to see clearly what happened and where your mistakes were made. Not the actual incident but how you handled that incident afterwords.

I have not made many mistakes but the remorse that I feel now and how I have changed myself has been what makes the difference to going forward.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe, but Billy may still be in a place that he does not understand. It seems, at least with myself that it takes time and a little distance to see clearly what happened and where your mistakes were made. Not the actual incident but how you handled that incident afterwords.

I have not made many mistakes but the remorse that I feel now and how I have changed myself has been what makes the difference to going forward.
You make a really good point! Every time I get in a dumb argument with my wife and I'm very confident I'm right, after some time, typically I apologize and it takes a little time for me to realize that I had some blame too. With that being said, I'm talking about an hour or matter of hours. I'm also in my late 30's now and much more mature and better at this kind of thing than when I was in my 20's. I think you are probably spot on in that Billy may not be seeing the total picture yet.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a shame American pool players feel they can behave this way with impunity.

Not too long ago I witnessed another USA MC player acting like a little bitch in a small local tournament. It was beyond pathetic.

Lou Figueroa
Who was it?

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have all gotten out of line it happens when drinking and gambling.

He apologized thats good enough in my world.

Last thing we want is to bring cancel culture to billiards.
So is it “cancel culture” when Matchroom is sinking a bunch of money into US pool and having a guy with a rage drinking problem on the US team makes them look bad?

If you had a “professional” in any other sport acting like a clown, they’d be getting sat down by their team and/or the league.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
So is it “cancel culture” when Matchroom is sinking a bunch of money into US pool and having a guy with a rage drinking problem on the US team makes them look bad?

If you had a “professional” in any other sport acting like a clown, they’d be getting sat down by their team and/or the league.
Matchroom has an advertising theme.

Thorpe and Saez feels like low budget click bait.