Bonus Ball - Are you giving it the time of day?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
its called "soft" opening, until you have your shit together like Starbucks or Mcdonalds when you start up something new you dont go full blast(there are exceptions-like what you have done with Ja, Earl, Nick etc). IMO Larry has it right, he got rid of Barry, has Nathan & Co there(who know what they are doing) players are coming in a week and playing matches, after the first few weeks I think they will iron out what ever problems pop up and then start marketing. shooting your wad on marketing before you are up and running isnt prudent. Unless your Starbucks and KNOW exactly what to expect because you have 15,000 stores open worldwide and can copycat the formula.

I don't think its as strategic as all that.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If thats what they say, their full of SH_T!!!!!

Lets see, Baseball..., steroids!!
Football...., steroids!!
Cycling...., steroids!!
Poker..., you name it!!

These sports are full of guys that use durgs, DWI, DUI, domestic abuse, the list is endless and I have seen guys walk out of matches in lots of sports.

Pool is not clean, but it aint got nothing more than a perception problem caused for the most part by the players

Lmao. If you could make 20/100 million playing pool, there would be plenty of in shape people on ROIDS, don't worry. Instead we are in a game that uses every other known thing to mankind daily.
Pool is no sport, nor is poker, and pool needs to quit being compared to the big sports. There is no comparison.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm going to watch the Sudden Death seven-ball on ESPN instead.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've spent endless hours watching pool on youtube. Saw some pormos on bb. Not the least bit interested and i really enjoy watching nearly all forms of pool.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I'm excited to see it. I think the team atmosphere is going to bring a ton of enjoyment to the viewers. And I think people will be surprised how quickly they understand the rules and strategy of this new game.

KK9 <-- wonders what happened to Barry

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao. If you could make 20/100 million playing pool, there would be plenty of in shape people on ROIDS, don't worry. Instead we are in a game that uses every other known thing to mankind daily.
Pool is no sport, nor is poker, and pool needs to quit being compared to the big sports. There is no comparison.

Why people think it should compare to big sports its beyond me even bass fishing dwarfs pool

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm excited to see it. I think the team atmosphere is going to bring a ton of enjoyment to the viewers. And I think people will be surprised how quickly they understand the rules and strategy of this new game.

KK9 <-- wonders what happened to Barry

good post,

and yes where did he go?

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Bonus Ball is going to be successful, the game needs to be renamed. Bonus Ball is a stupid name for a pool game. It sounds like a carnival game or something you play at a video game parlor. Nobody outside of the pool community will take a game called bonus ball seriously. It needs to be rebranded.

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to check this out after reading the threads about pros courting disaster Then the new producer guy starting this new league and dumping Diamond tables for the Chinese company. It reminds me of boxing and how it was full of characters then became stale. Pool had characters, Mosconi and fats. Movies were made and pool halls were everywhere. It was always on TV even if it was ESPN 8. I noticed a pick up with the Black widow and the Striking Viking. Pool is different now, I hardly see it on TV and halls are closing. The thread about the pro players courting disaster was dead on. Now we have this, Bonus Ball. There should of been a collective effort by all involved to protect and grow the game as it was. Make it fun. Bad sportsmanship and rule nit picking, overly serious players were a wet blanket as well, but that's another thread. I watched the USA vs. Canada and I was done. Not for me but if it gets people back into pool great.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm excited. I think we need a fresh game. If they have a start to a
Second season I'll get a set and practice at home, it looks ridiculously fun.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I showed another top player around here and he loved it. We had a blast with the scoreboard and strategy. Can't wait to watch.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Bonus Ball is a new product that is relatively unknown, even in pool circles. It's a good game and a good test of cueing skills and its production values are very high. As has often been stressed on this forum by the bonus ball proprietors, it is a game that has been developed by pros who have made it to their liking. Bonus ball, we're told, is the game the pros want to play. To this, I say, who cares? As long as it is pool, who cares what the pros want to play? Pay them and they will play anything and given their skills, they'll shine no matter the pool game.

Why were the pros even asked what they want to play? Why were they asked to participate in the development of a game that makes "them" happy? In fact, bonus ball in the form it will be played in WPBL matches is so difficult that only expert level players can logically play it. Yes, there are ways to change the rules to make it accessible to ordinary amateurs, but nobody has ever seen the game played that way, and one must wonder whether they ever will.

The only thing that matters is what potential patrons (meaning PPV and merchandise purchasers and those who might one day play the game they watch) want to see. CSI and TAR regularly interact with a cross-section of their potential fanbase through their podcasts, learning which players and which games the fans hope to see, and, where possible, they integrate that information into their event planning. Potential patrons of the WPBL are drowned in utterances that Bonus Ball is what the pros want to play, but there's little, if any, evidence that any effort was made to determine what the targeted consumer base wants in a professional pool product.

Hope I'm wrong, but it seems the entrepreneurs of Bonus Ball don't seem to feel much accountability to the paying fans or the pool industry as a whole. Reminds me of the IPT days.

Trudeau made it clear that his obligation was to the players only, not to the paying fans and not to any of the game's governing bodies. Consequently, even before he got started, there were more than a few fans who felt disenfranchised and either hoped or predicted Trudeau would fail. When the IPT took flight in 2006, I recall taking note that the players were doing practically nothing to promote their new tour. I reckoned at the time that, given the financial prospects in front of them, they should be going from poolroom to poolroom doing everything in their power to get the word out, but just as then, their silence about this new tour is deafening and seemingly nobody knows about bonus ball and the WPBL. As usual, the players feel no obligation to help market the new tour unless they are paid for such efforts, an attitude that has cost them dearly in the past and, I suspect, will cost them once again.

It seems now that the only way that the mainstream pool fan will be able to develop a taste for bonus ball will be by buying the pay per view. This, it seems to me, is like requiring potential purchasers to pay for a brochure containing an ad for a product, hoping both the brochure and the product will sell. If the success of this venture is dependent on pay per view, I think bonus ball is in trouble and will last just a single season. Perhaps, though, there is more to bonus ball's business model. I hope so, for I'd like to see bonus ball succeed wildly.

For those like me who know of bonus ball and plan to purchase the pay per view, we're like people sitting at a Broadway play waiting for the curtain to rise, knowing that it should have risen an hour ago. We've got a bad taste in our mouth even before the play starts.

In the aftermath of the IPT, it was clear that while a decent number of pros had some money to show for the venture, the sport itself was worse off than before the venture had begun. I hope it won't be the same for the WPBL.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I'll be going to the BB studio in July during BCA Nationals to watch a few matches. I'm all for watching some pros play

5aheadforpinks

Nit Picker
Silver Member
I have yet to see a sponsor that was not pool related in some way for any pool event. Pool only markets to pool players, and not general people. Baseball does not show commercials for baseball bats during the games, for example.

I don't care if the players use marbles instead of pool balls, or have to play standing on their heads. The activity fills a time slot that can be padded with commercials. Some people only watch the Stuper (sic) Bowl for the commercials.

But what do people talk about when they discuss baseball or football? Mostly they talk about the players and the personalities behind the teams. People like one team over the other not because they are superior, but because they identify with or dislike certain people.

Pool should be about the players, not the damn game. We only get to see or hear about pool players when they are down on the table, totally silent. The cameras never show personality, only different levels of frustration.

Hopefully this format provides the missing dimension in pool. I haven't seen it in the previews, I will wait to judge the final product. But it better be free to view, this strategy of constantly milking the same group of people doesn't work. All the people on AZB would be happier spending $20 on a night at the pool hall or betting on a one pocket match at the local room, then watching stiff robots do the same thing over again.

People like to be amazed in pool, they like seeing something they never thought of or couldn't possibly imagine doing. Then they look up to the person, not the game. Like the director the The Hustler said, "This is NOT a movie about pool, it is a movie about character." DUH!@#!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can somebody please explain the rules to me? I understand the sequence of balls to be made and how many points they are worth, but what rules exist regarding the pockets that you have to shoot into? I was confused watching the sample matches on youtube

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
And if you go to UTube, you can watch a game and listen to rules while they are playing on one video.

The are several more videos to watch as well.

Johnny Archer mentioned that there are several different disciplines being implemented
In Bonus Ball, which I find interesting.

So for that, I think it was a good idea to consult the pros in instituting the making of the game when it was in its infancy.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It seems now that the only way that the mainstream pool fan will be able to develop a taste for bonus ball will be by buying the pay per view. This, it seems to me, is like requiring potential purchasers to pay for a brochure containing an ad for a product, hoping both the brochure and the product will sell. If the success of this venture is dependent on pay per view, I think bonus ball is in trouble and will last just a single season. Perhaps, though, there is more to bonus ball's business model. I hope so, for I'd like to see bonus ball succeed wildly. .../QUOTE]

The first match on Thursday each week will be free, so that is the brochure/ad.

I strongly doubt that the venture depends completely on ppv. A number of other possibilities have been mentioned, including foreign (to the US) TV. We'll see.

Edit: And in a larger sense, the entire first season is really the brochure/ad.

Last edited: