Books on Billiards... Which ones are worth the read?

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Hello AZB! I am trying to get a few good books on billiards technique and strategy. The 8-Ball bible is at the top of my list but I have to wait for the revision before I buy my copy. In the mean time I know there are a ton of books out there but only a few are any good. So to help me in my quest for knowledge about our beloved game.

1) Which books have you read yourself?

2) Which books do you recommend reading?

3) What was the best thing you've learned from these books?

4) Were the books written well?/Did you enjoy reading them?

I appreciate any wisdom my fellow members are willing to share. I will not misappropriate and will pass forward to any deservingly qualified individual.
Thank you AZB!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd call these the three best books on pool:

Mastering Pool by George Fels
The Byrne Standard Book by Robert Byrne
Play Your Best Pool by Phil Cappelle

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Books to Read - Here is the Top Secret List

After you know how to play and are ready to master yourself, here is the list I read and re-read before each tournament and as often as I can. Memorize this information and apply it to pool as best you can. These books will make you a better player and a better person. (I'm surprised I'm releasing this secret stuff.)

Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment

Every Shot Must Have a Purpose: How GOLF54 Can Make You a Better Player

The Toa of Sports

Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards

rustystrokes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best book i have read is 99 critical shots Ray Martin
Best used for straight pool but it works for the entire game.
Pattern play!

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bryne's books. Capelle's books. You don't need to get 20 books. If you get the books by these two you should cover just about everything. You will not be able to learn and practice everything in these books in your life time.
I would suggest Byrne's dvds 1,2 and 5. He explains everything very well.
I don't want to suggest that other books are not worth getting. I try to read everything,but I get carried away.
If you play on bar tables then the 8 ball bible is a good read.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Hello AZB! I am trying to get a few good books on billiards technique and strategy. The 8-Ball bible is at the top of my list but I have to wait for the revision before I buy my copy. In the mean time I know there are a ton of books out there but only a few are any good. So to help me in my quest for knowledge about our beloved game.

1) Which books have you read yourself?

2) Which books do you recommend reading?

3) What was the best thing you've learned from these books?

4) Were the books written well?/Did you enjoy reading them?

I appreciate any wisdom my fellow members are willing to share. I will not misappropriate and will pass forward to any deservingly qualified individual.
Thank you AZB!

I am willing to sell you my collection of pool books and then you can review them for yourself.

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upscale one pocket. Been out for a while, Nice info on two, three And four railers. The eight ball bible I would
pass on, nobody cares about oversized cue ball games nowadays!

Last edited:

south51

Registered
The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies by Minnesota Fats

:dance:best short book ever...and the glossary is priceless.......

conrad

Registered
Freddy the Beard has two books out that are well worth the price and the read. Banking With The Beard, and The GosPool of Bank Pool. While they emphasize banks there are plenty of pool fundamentals covered. (ie., aiming, table rolls, etc.)
Along with the instruction is a goodly portion devoted to old-time road stories of the great players and hustlers.
His website: www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Conrad

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Save $$$ and Buy "The Secret Art of Pool" dvd by Lee Brett

I have a lot of books and videos. There are some good ones depending on what you are looking for and how well you already play. For example, Bert Kinister's "60 Minute Workout for 9 Ball" is still a good video for 9 ball. I liked the "8 Ball Bible" for bar table 8 ball. I also liked Grady Mathew's older videos for 1 pocket. The best video to cover PSR, and has a simplified aiming system is Lee Brett's "The Secret Art of Pool" by far in my opinion. I think a lot of what's out there is way too complicated. Lee's style is like a coaching style, not like some college professor giving a lecture. I think John B., the banks player, might be kind of right on when he said its a game where we are knocking round balls into holes with sticks. I think some people make it a little too complicated. I think John's video and Lee's are similar in that they both teach a method more than a system. I have John's dvd too, and its the best I've seen on banks. Just trying to be helpful.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
This is some great info gentlemen! I am reading Byrne's complete book of pool shots right now while I wait for the new 8-Ball Bible. There's some good technical scripts and videos suggested so far but now my attention has been turned to some of the great road player stories. I'm looking at the book by Minnesota Fats and "Playing Off the Rail". Both look really good but have you read any other ones I should take a look at?

Thanks Again AZB!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
99 Critical Shots, Play Your Best Pool, The Best Damn Pool Instruction Book Period (I swear it's much better than it's stupid title).

If you are going the non-instructional route check out McGoorty by Byrne. I laughed harder reading that book than any I've ever read. Also, Playing Off The Rail was enjoyable as was Hustler Days and The Hustler and The Champ both by R.A. Dyer.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
• 99 Critical Shots in Pool - this can get you from noob to basic skill level pretty fast. Past a certain point it may not be as relevant... but it's the best for beginners to intermediate. Clear diagrams for every shot, easy to understand, written by someone who really knows his stuff and has enthusiasm for pool.

Hard to nail down the "best" part, I learned a ton of shots from the book. What I like is that even though the title implies it's showing you shots, it's really showing you position play (for a lot of the shots anyway).

• Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots - (you're already on top of it). As others have said, anything by Byrne.

• How Would you Play This? by George Fels - So much of pool is about good decision making, especially if you're playing much 8 ball... not many books deal with that part of it. This one does a nice job.