breaking your cue down

1outofthe$$$$

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a tournament format is breaking your cue down for any reason considered coinciding the match?

Last edited:

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are allowed to change shafts, but if you break it down like you are going to lose, it's an automatic concession of game.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Under many official rule sets it is, though of course gambling has no rules.

Outside of changing shafts, it's usually shark move and I don't tolerate people doing it
while I'm shooting and then saying "go ahead and shoot". Ditto grabbing the rack.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Under many official rule sets it is, though of course gambling has no rules.

Outside of changing shafts, it's usually shark move and I don't tolerate people doing it
while I'm shooting and then saying "go ahead and shoot". Ditto grabbing the rack.

When people grab the rack or say things like "nice game" after they miss and leave a ball or runout, I thank them and ask them to rack up the next game. They just conceded.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had to change shafts mid game, but how would one make it clear that you're just changing your shaft and your opponent doesn't misconstrue it as a concession and mess with the balls?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I've never had to change shafts mid game, but how would one make it clear that you're just changing your shaft and your opponent doesn't misconstrue it as a concession and mess with the balls?

Wait until your inning and let them know you are going to change your shaft. If there is a referee or TD, announce to them if opponent disagrees.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is breaking your cue down for any reason considered coinciding the match?

Not quite for any reason. If it's during your turn and you need to change the shaft or clean something off, it's OK. If you just start to unscrew your cue while the other guy is at the table, you conceded.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When people grab the rack or say things like "nice game" after they miss and leave a ball or runout, I thank them and ask them to rack up the next game. They just conceded.

And if he responds with something witty, like 'Fuuuk yuuuuu'?

WHat then

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
And if he responds with something witty, like 'Fuuuk yuuuuu'?

WHat then

I don't mind barking them back down. That stuff shouldn't be allowed to fly. If they don't agree to the concession, then I can typically get them to agree cut that out.

Standing up and getting back down usually shakes the shark off me. :shakehead:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind barking them back down. That stuff shouldn't be allowed to fly. If they don't agree to the concession, then I can typically get them to agree cut that out.

Standing up and getting back down usually shakes the shark off me. :shakehead:

That is pretty much my experience too...you end up having to shoot the shot anyway.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Is breaking your cue down for any reason considered coinciding the match?

If you're changing shafts either on your turn or out of your opponent's view, no. If you're packing up your playing cue, yes. If you're doing any visible preparation for the end of the match while your opponent is getting ready to shoot the final shot(s), yes.

-Andrew

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
Absolutely! If on the 8 or 9 ball and they try that I jump up from the shot and go shake their hand and say good game. If an argument takes place because of there planned shark attempt, I have gone back down on the shot in the past and shot in the last ball with out looking and having my head turned toward them and say "corner pocket" and then drill it in. That usually embarrasses them and that don't try that any more. A little risky but fun!

MaxEnglish

Registered
How about when you're on the hill and pack up your break cue, since you're not going to use it anymore? I've done that a few times subconsciously without any intention to forfeit... Would you guys forgive me? ;)

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
People are full of semantics.

You can tell whether someone is breaking down to quit or not. If they are then I break mine down to and shake hands. Otherwise just shoot the damn shot.