Brothers Billiards, new kind of pool room.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering about the numbers. The annual + monthly membership will equal
$850. 50 members would equal $42,500. That doesn't sound like much to cover rent & overhead. Even if they get 100 members it's only $85,000. Are there 100 serious players in the area?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
$850. 50 members would equal $42,500. That doesn't sound like much to cover rent & overhead. Even if they get 100 members it's only $85,000. Are there 100 serious players in the area?
I always wonder why people assume playing pool is only done by serious pool players. If that were the case, every pool hall in this country would have shut down a long time ago.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
$250 Annual membership, $50 a month pass, available 24/7 BYOB refrigerator rentals, as well as cue locker rentals. Looking to open around July 15th, or thereabouts.
Forgive the assumption, but does that also mean there wouldn't be any booze sales by the room...? I've always wondered how that dynamic would work in my neck of the woods. A booze license is of course necessary if you want to sell it, and by extension you are required to sell food on some level. The logistics for place that didn't do either would be way easier I would think. That said, from my limited understanding of running such business. That's where the bulk of the revenue is generated.

I wish 'Brothers' all the best, and continual success.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now, in many areas, I would agree with this the financial numbers don't work out very well for this concept unless the space is already owned by the proprietor ( no rent cost), The number of required annual members and monthly subscribers , to me, needs to be much higher, than the current number of folks interested enough and willing and able to shell out this kind of money for pool. This concept eliminates all the casual and recreational attendees to a pool hall.

As I travel through the Southwest Florida area for pool- most of the present players who play "most often" in pool rooms - appear to be 50 + in age - many of these players are playing in rooms in the city areas down here that already offer free pool all day long - some even up to 8 PM- the rooms are selling booze not pool.
Most of the larger gated communities here already have large amenity centers that include one or more pool tables as part of your HOA fees. Community and senior centers offer billiard rooms with multiple nine footers for local residents.

The concept, at least in my area, works great for gun ranges- simply because the number of folks down here participating in gun related activities ( shooting sports and self defense training) is extremely high - the gun ranges have huge annual memberships and almost full daily range rentals.

So, I love the concept, I wish them the very best in success, but I think one really needs to do their homework on pool interest demographics before considering turning this idea into an actual business commitment. Selling booze at this type of establishment will result in much higher insurance costs, and having to staff the place for every hour it is open, and possibly a host of other issues that go along with alcohol.

There are a lot of possibilities that need to be thought out in advance of starting with a "club" 24 hour access concept- how do you stop a member from opening the door to 5 or 6 of his "friends" every night at 11 and having them bring in anything they want - now it is their own private "club" hangout - do you staff 24/7 - sit on a laptop at home at 3am surveilling? Lots of details to be ironed out in advance to make sure the concept becomes the reality one envisions.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a new pool room getting ready to open in Billings, MT. 8 7ft, 2 8ft, and 1 9ft Diamonds,

1 Brunswick 1912 Regina 5x10 Billiards table, new cushions and rebuilt rails.

1 6x12 Canadian Snooker table, rebuilt rails and new Northern Snooker cushions, 3 1/2" corner pockets, extended slate shelves.

$250 Annual membership, $50 a month pass, available 24/7 BYOB refrigerator rentals, as well as cue locker rentals. Looking to open around July 15th, or thereabouts.
Just seems strange to me that if they are not going to seek league play, why the majority of the tables would be 7-foot tables and only one 9-foot table? Do regular membership players really want most of their play to be on 7-foot and 8-foot tables?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
wasnt there a carom room made a few yrs back with the same type of monthly payment setup and 24 hr access, 1000yr or something like that it was called, all carom tables?

is that still around?

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always wonder why people assume playing pool is only done by serious pool players. If that were the case, every pool hall in this country would have shut down a long time ago.
I'm not saying that playing is only for serious players. I'm just wondering if the casual player who plays once or twice a month will shell out $850 a year to join the club.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it needs to be more of a club with big screen sports for tv's. and other things to do.
and having small tables, small table players can go find a bar table to play on.

if its open to the public as well then why get a membership, unless you play most days or odd times.

it will work if the brothers are not interested in making much money.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the 24 hour availability concept, but not for the usual pool junkie reasons. I like hitting the room early before all the loudmouths get there so this place is perfect. The only problem I see, and hopefully a billiard club will be immune to this since it has single ownership, is the “club mentality” some member get when they think they’re more important than other members. Actually quit a yacht club because of it.

is there a daily rate for people just coming through town? And how are they handling guests of a member? And most importantly, do they allow cigar smoking?