Brunswick Centennials or Aramith Tournaments?

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a set of cyclops I’ll sell, home use only and the balls have developed small nicks as if they have been in use in a pool hall with cement floors, none have exploded yet but not the greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrpiper

Registered
So this thread originated between the Aramith and Brunswick top line balls and has moved into a host of other choices. That said, does it have to be either / or? I have played both, prefer the Centennial for aesthetics, and think that as they slightly yellow with age, they look more rich and mature, like me! :) Still, I play the Centennials all winter. In the spring I have a set of Elephant Beautiful balls that I put on the table. In the summer, I put out the Vigma Special USA set and in the fall I play an English Red and Yellow set. When I change them out, I clean and polish the outgoing set. It keeps the table interesting and fun. All the sets play well, and I wouldn't say ANY plays really BETTER but they all play DIFFERENTLY. It forces me to adjust and think and stay focused.

My point is this: Does ANYONE really just play all the time with just one set of balls for their table? To me that's boring.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a reason all the Cyclop stuff was discontinued, the balls break frequently, the 7-ball exploding is a known issue. Plus they play like crap.
They used them at Derby with few if any complaints. Had some issues early on bit they fixed it. XingBing(the actual maker) has now contracted to exclusively produce Dynasphere's. Loontjens, who owns Gabriels tables and markets the Molinari cues, oversees the QC on the new Dynasphere balls. All reports i've seen so far say they are a great product. The Bronze model at less than $150bux is a helluva deal. https://www.olhausenonline.com/products/dynasphere-bronze-pool-ball-set

JohnnyFlash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both sets are great as mentioned above. I have always shot Centennials and I have 2 sets that came in the blue and white box. I used to have an oversized 8 foot GC III, and I got the Centennials due to the nostology. You cant go wrong with either. I think it really boils down to personal preference.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Every day of the week and twice on Sundays! Bad lighting so the colors are a little off.

20210218_151921_resized.jpg

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They used them at Derby with few if any complaints. Had some issues early on bit they fixed it. XingBing(the actual maker) has now contracted to exclusively produce Dynasphere's. Loontjens, who owns Gabriels tables and markets the Molinari cues, oversees the QC on the new Dynasphere balls. All reports i've seen so far say they are a great product. The Bronze model at less than $150bux is a helluva deal. https://www.olhausenonline.com/products/dynasphere-bronze-pool-ball-set
I bought the Tungsten set. They play just fine but they pick up as much chalk marks as my Tournament balls

JC

Coos Cues
Exactly the cyclop wasn't discontinued per se, it evolved.

DennisG

Registered
I have had a few sets of Centennials, and I also have the Tournaments and the Super Aramith Pro.

I use the Tournaments mostly these days. They stay clean, you almost never have to clean them, but to me the Duramith doesn't shine as well as the SAP or the Centennials. I don't have a polishing machine tho but I have had them polished by my local pool hall owner a while back. I mostly clean them by hand. The Centennials I have had seem to get spots on them after a while that will polish out. I like the graphic design of the Centennials the best. Classic!

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's better? I confess the Centennials have a lot of appeal for me, and seem like the "right" balls for my Gold Crown table. But, I'd really like to know which are better, will hold up better, maybe play better? They're not too far apart in price; best I've found so far is $336 for the Centennials, $356 for the Tournaments.

Input, opinions, experiences most welcome!
I am convinced both are lopsided as I seem to miss a lot with both.:):)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Centennials I have had seem to get spots on them after a while that will polish out.
Yes! I have a set of Centennials that I was fortunate enough to score on craigslist for $20. They polished up beautifully, but get spots on them with use, which won't come off with rubbing or spit, but come off easily with Aramith cleaner. When I clean them I get slightly orange, yellowish stains on my hands. My wife suggested that this was wax, and that I was just cleaning the wax, not the balls. Next step will be to see if I can strip it with an ammonia solution.

I like the graphic design of the Centennials the best.
Yes, I do, too. The above spots issue is why I'm contemplating a new set of balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My wife suggested that this was wax, and that I was just cleaning the wax, not the balls. Next step will be to see if I can strip it with an ammonia solution.

Why not just use Aramith ball restorer? Lots of chemicals will react badly with phenolic resin.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Yes! I have a set of Centennials that I was fortunate enough to score on craigslist for $20. They polished up beautifully, but get spots on them with use, which won't come off with rubbing or spit, but come off easily with Aramith cleaner. When I clean them I get slightly orange, yellowish stains on my hands. My wife suggested that this was wax, and that I was just cleaning the wax, not the balls. Next step will be to see if I can strip it with an ammonia solution.

Yes, I do, too. The above spots issue is why I'm contemplating a new set of balls.
Can you show us? It may be nicotine also

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this thread originated between the Aramith and Brunswick top line balls and has moved into a host of other choices. That said, does it have to be either / or? I have played both, prefer the Centennial for aesthetics, and think that as they slightly yellow with age, they look more rich and mature, like me! :) Still, I play the Centennials all winter. In the spring I have a set of Elephant Beautiful balls that I put on the table. In the summer, I put out the Vigma Special USA set and in the fall I play an English Red and Yellow set. When I change them out, I clean and polish the outgoing set. It keeps the table interesting and fun. All the sets play well, and I wouldn't say ANY plays really BETTER but they all play DIFFERENTLY. It forces me to adjust and think and stay focused.

My point is this: Does ANYONE really just play all the time with just one set of balls for their table? To me that's boring.
Awesome!!

One set of balls for me! I would play with them on other "tables" but I have been warned about that already!!

:eek:o_O🤣:love:

mrpiper

Registered

I had a very old set of used Centennials that came in the old Blue and White box. They seemed to get so dirty so easily. FEEL FREE TO LAUGH, but I put them in the dishwasher 1 cycle. When they came out they were almost white from wax build up. The heat of the dry cycle made it opaque. It took me a week to strip all the wax off, but when I finally got it all off and polished them up with just cleaner, NOT cleaner/polish they looked like brand new. That has been about a year ago, and now, as many others have said, they just get play spots on them that wipe right off
with Aramith cleaner.
Ball 1.jpg
Ball 2.jpg
Ball 3.jpg
Ball 4.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a very old set of used Centennials that came in the old Blue and White box. They seemed to get so dirty so easily. FEEL FREE TO LAUGH, but I put them in the dishwasher 1 cycle. When they came out they were almost white from wax build up. ....
The wax shouldn't have been on the balls in the first place, and certainly not that thick. Amazing.

They look nearly new now. (y)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
almost white from wax build up.
Wow. Thanks for the detailed and illustrated post! I'm thinking mine are loaded with wax, too. I am not brave enough to put them in the dishwasher. I am still nervous about using ammonia on them, I want to see if I can learn what things may be harmful to phenolic first.

mrpiper

Registered
Wow. Thanks for the detailed and illustrated post! I'm thinking mine are loaded with wax, too. I am not brave enough to put them in the dishwasher. I am still nervous about using ammonia on them, I want to see if I can learn what things may be harmful to phenolic first.
I am just an average player with a table at home that loves to play. I don't use a micrometer or scale to be sure my weights and diameters are perfect. I just play and enjoy the game. I say that because these balls seem to play perfectly well after my cleaning, and as you can see, they look beautiful.

Here is exactly what I did:
1. One cycle in the dishwasher on "heated dry" cycle, with no soap. That heated then cooled the ball and exposed the wax as the balls expanded and contracted microscopically from the temperature change.
2. I used "McGuire's" rubbing compound. It is safe even for brand new, clear coat, car finishes to remove stains without removing clear coat or paint. I hand rubbed each ball and it took 45 minutes to an hour per ball to get all of the wax off. Each one came to a stunning shine as you see. 3. I wiped them all down and hand polished them with Aramith cleaner and that is what you see in the picture.

Again, a year later and they still look just like that picture and I have played them easily 1000 racks. I do still wipe them down with cleaner every few weeks because they get a few contact marks, but I have always done that with any set I have ever played with to keep them new looking.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hand rubbed each ball and it took 45 minutes to an hour per ball to get all of the wax off
I don't have the time or patience for that! I'm going to try a few things. One is automotive wax stripper. I'll let you know what happens.