Brunswick Medalist vs. Gold Crown

Caseyj9779

Who is he?
Is one better than the other or are they the same table?

I'm in the market for a pool table and have come across a Gold Crown and a Medalist for the same price. However, I cannot find any information on the Medalist, but I did see a pyramid from Brunswick that rated the Medalist at the top of the pyramid above the GC in the same order it is listed here http://www.expressions.com.my/products_brunswick_competition.htm . Now I can't find that web page again. From what little information I could find, it looks like the only difference is that the Medalist doesn't have adjustable legs.

The GC IV came from a bar that didn't make it so I assume it has a lot of wear and tear. I will have to disassemble the Medalist myself (I've never done that before) and the GC is already taken apart so I won't be able to hit a few test balls.

Both sellers are asking $1000. Which is the best buy? Here is the link to the Medalist, seriously it's in great condition (but I'll have to put some simonis on it). http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1446140877.html

My intention to buy is based on becoming a better player, not entertaining guests. I play about 20 hrs per week and have twins due any day, so I want to be able to play at home. Please help me decide which table will be the best buy and the most challenging. Thanks!!

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

I'm in the market for a pool table and have come across a Gold Crown and a Medalist for the same price. However, I cannot find any information on the Medalist, but I did see a pyramid from Brunswick that rated the Medalist at the top of the pyramid above the GC in the same order it is listed here http://www.expressions.com.my/products_brunswick_competition.htm . Now I can't find that web page again. From what little information I could find, it looks like the only difference is that the Medalist doesn't have adjustable legs.

The GC IV came from a bar that didn't make it so I assume it has a lot of wear and tear. I will have to disassemble the Medalist myself (I've never done that before) and the GC is already taken apart so I won't be able to hit a few test balls.

Both sellers are asking $1000. Which is the best buy? Here is the link to the Medalist, seriously it's in great condition (but I'll have to put some simonis on it). http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1446140877.html

My intention to buy is based on becoming a better player, not entertaining guests. I play about 20 hrs per week and have twins due any day, so I want to be able to play at home. Please help me decide which table will be the best buy and the most challenging. Thanks!!
I had the same issue a few years ago. The two tables are close in design, and the medalist is basically the home version of the GC. There are some minor appearance differences (feet/legs), but the big difference is that the long rails on medalist are one piece, whereas the GC has 2 piece rails. Personally, I do not like the brass pocket attachment on the GC tables, as they sometimes stick up and hinder shooting in certain situations. I opted for the medalist, updated the cushions to Artemis, put on some Simonis 860, and have been good to go for years.

As for construction, they both have 3 piece slate and solid framing, so you can't go wrong either way. You can get the pockets sized however you want (on either table) with shims.

Although you can do it yourself, you should seriously consider using a professional disassemble/move/reassamble the table for you. It'll be worth the money.

Good luck! ANd post pics when you get it!

-td

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Both are Commercial tables

The Gold Crowns are Brunswick's "crown jewel" or main claim to fame. Before Diamond tables grew in popularity, Brunswick was the main table played on at most major championships. The Medalist is just about the same table, the main difference being in the cabinet or wood case around the table. Brunswick has standard 1 inch slate as well as standardized "Super Speed" cushions. Actually, the Medalist is a step "down" from the GC4, but in casing only.

The older GC's were even more solid than the GC4's, but that's like saying a ton of bricks is solid. Brunswick tables for $1,000 is a good bargain.

Personally, I have always had commercial 9ft tables. I'm not much for the ornamental "furniture" looking tables. I like the main stay big tracks, which said another way is either of the two tables you can get is a good deal.

To really clean up either of the tables you'll buy, putting on a nice new Simonis 860 will make it look brand new. Any dings on the wood can be called "character", although it's doubtful that there'll be any major damage to the casing on either table. They're built like tanks.

Be careful on making sure all the parts are there on the disassembled GC if that's the way you go.

I don't really know, but I've had a GCIV for about 4 years, and the pocket covers and feet are already starting to pit/corrode. I DO live in a salt water environment. (Brunswick told me that they fixed that problem after the GCIII - NOT)

One thought, It appears the Medalist does NOT have the GCIV round metal feet. The GC feet can adjust for height by rotating them, which is good, but my feet have rust/corroding spots on them. At this point I'd rather have the Medalist feet, BECAUSE... The pocket covers are also corroding. The Medalist looks like it has the same covers as the GCIV, but only has corner covers, not side pocket covers. SO, If each table covers corrode equally, with the Medalist, you only have to have 4 corner pocket covers powder coated, instead of 6 covers and 4 feet for the GCIV. AND sending in the GCIV feet in to be powder coated would be a royal pain, as you can imagine.

I've seen others on this site who have had their GC pocket covers powder coated for under $150 for all 6, and they look great.

I do know that the GCIV has the slate-leveling screws, which should make the set up much easier (during set-up, you just turn a bunch of screws under the slates instead of futzing with shims - although my authorized Brunswick installer never heard of them). I don't think the Medalist has them.

I did note from the pics that the Medalist has the 14-1 type counters built into the rail. The GCIV does not have them.

The GCIV does have the adjusting feet as I mentioned - the Medalist may or may not, I don't know - but that's the installer's problem. I wouldn't let that affect my decision.

The Medalist one-piece long rail may make it easier to be sure that the long rail is straight for the full 9' length. Or not, that's an installer question, and that's not me, but it is a thought.

One MAJOR thing about the GC. From underneath the table, looking up, it looks ridiculously overbuilt. The cross beams and such look like they can hold up a castle. If a tornado comes, get under the GC.

For $1000, you can't go wrong with either, as I'm sure you know.

Everyone here is going to say the GC is better, but I doubt many will have true knowledge about the Medalist.

So, basically, I'm useless. I'd be flipping a coin over each table, just like you. But, unless the conditions were DRASTICALLY different, get the GC.

I spent about $6,500 for my GCIV, 4 years ago, which I thought was a good deal.

I would have GLADLY spent another $1000 for a good installer.
I think for either table, the installer is the main thing that will make you happy.
I know installation looks simple, and not worth the cash, but believe me, a good installer is worth all.
This is not the kind of thing that you can 'tweak' yourself, after the nitwit leaves.

Oh, taking APART a table is not a big deal. Just ratchet wrench and a mallet for some of the heavier frame bits.
You CAN save the cloth, but I wouldn't bother, since you'll have a good installer setting it up for you with new cloth, right?

Jim

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
not even close imo. gc's give medalists the 6 and out. medalists go for half the price of gc's and for good reason. i was just talking to someone who picked up 2 medalists for 400$ each.....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Medalist to the Gold Crown is like a Chevy to a Cadillac, as long as both are in equal condition. The Medalist is actually the discount commercial model from Brunswick. Not a bad table by any means, but not a Gold Crown either.

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Medalist to the Gold Crown is like a Chevy to a Cadillac, as long as both are in equal condition. The Medalist is actually the discount commercial model from Brunswick. Not a bad table by any means, but not a Gold Crown either.

Get the GC!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GC all the way. I play on medalists all the time. There are huge differences in playability. You have to fill the legs of the medalist to get the same weight/sturdiness. The slates arent as good (gold crown slates can be used on them though. I just changed out some medalist slates with a set of gold crown all zero slates). The rubber isnt as lively, and the angle of the pockets arent to my liking either. They are ok, and are way better than a lot of tables out there.... but the gold crown is king.
Chuck

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I've never seen a medalist apart however, I have a GCIII and my buddy bought a medalist. We both purchased used and he set up his table and came over to set mine up with me.

He said the frame on the GC is much more substantial than the medalist. The GC has leg levelers and is overall far more solid a table.

In an also, he said his medalist has bigger more accepting pockets than my GC.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a GC III for 20 years and I love it.

From what I saw of the Medalist I would be inclined to buy it because it looks brand new. Disassembly and moving is a no brainer if you have access to a Dodge soccer mom van or something similar. I have moved my table four or five times. In general it takes a set of sockets (with an extension), a couple of allen wrenches and a screwdriver. You need two big guys or three average size men to move the slate and not break it. Place mover's blankets between the slate. The first time it will take a half day (or so) to break it down and move it. Probaly take you another day to set it up. On my GC III all the frame parts have letters stamped on them for reassembly I would guess these tables do too. If not, mark them yourself to make the job easier.

If the GC IV has 4 1/2" pockets I would probably buy that one. Shimming pockets is easy enough when you are recovering but they don't play as well as a table with the right rails. Replacing the rails is a major job and would take a good handyman a couple of days with attention detail (see threads here on AZB on rebuilding or shimming rails).

If the GC IV has a ball return I would definitely buy that. The Medalist I saw did not have a ball return. There are different attitudes on the presence of a ball return but when it is all said and done the ball return makes for a better environment when you play for 20+ hours a week. Personally, I would not buy a table that did not have a ball return.

If the Medalist comes with the Bruswick house cues and that whole Brunswick package that adds value to the package. If a table light is included that adds even more value. Brunswick lights are quite expensive ($1,700.00 or so). However, you can build your own for $100.00 (see threads here on AZB).

The Centennial balls also add value if available so check that out. Super Aramith balls are comparable for play but Centennials add $100.00 or so in value.

I would check the GC IV for cracks and chips in the slate and damage to the exterior. Bar tables are not treated well. While these can usually be repaired, why bother when you have the Medalist.

Personally I would probably prefer the GC IV with the green cloth. My son-in-law has a table with red cloth and I find it uncomfortable to play on for long periods of time. Replacing the cloth and rail cloth is not difficult for anyone who is handy with tools. I have done it many times and get the job done in about one day (including rails).

Simonis cloth is a must is my thinking. If the bar table has Simonis I would lean towards that table because that is another couple hundred.

If, as the previous poster said, the GCIV pockets are tighter and the frame is more substantial that would solve the issue, I would buy the GC IV. I have had mine for 20+ years with several thousand hours of play and it is as good today (minus nicks and such) as it was the day I bought it new.

Last edited:

RKM

Registered
I shoot on A Medalist. They are good solid tables, you can't go wrong either way. The Gold Crown tables are worth more in my opinion, and look nicer (details). The Medalist is more commercial looking. I would opt for the Gold Crown as it is disassembled and you can inspect the slates for damage (cracks and chips).

Jamie

Caseyj9779

Who is he?
Thanks

All,
Thanks for the wonderful input! It looks like the GC is the consensus! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

BTW, my twins were born TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

One boy and one girl born this morning at 0140 and 0141.

dave sutton

Banned
All,
Thanks for the wonderful input! It looks like the GC is the consensus! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

BTW, my twins were born TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

One boy and one girl born this morning at 0140 and 0141.

congrats...

i kinda want to add to my post. the medalist isnt a bad table. gc is better. if you can get the medalist at a great price do it. a good table guy can make it play very well. so to wrap it up. if the gold crown is 2 or 3 times the medaliest in cost id say go with the med. if the prices are close go with the gc

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP's twins must be around 12 now. I wonder if he still had time to play pool after they were born? :giggle:

Just wanted to add that a GC is usually easier to sell--they're better known. A friend who has played in area tournaments has a Medalist in his house and while he tends to sort of cheerfully slag it, he likes it. But the GC is the OG. Much more famous. It's the one people know. The question is kinda like, should I get this old Porsche 928 or this 911 from the same year, for the same price?

Disclaimer: I just bought my first GC and am loving it.