But You Have To Like His Game

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
OK, as much as I hate doing this, I will. A lot of players don't care for Charlie Williams but you have to like his game lately. Only American in the final 8 and has been playing very well for the last year. Johnnyt
 
I have to say I was very impressed with Mr. Williams' game when I saw one of the UPA tournaments in Los Angeles about 5 years ago now. At that time he was acting as a tournament spokesman for the UPA. At the beginning of the session he made a long, complicated set of announcements about various aspects of the tournament and then literally stepped straight into the arena and won a match against Ralph Souquet.

Putting aside what some people may think of him personally, and that you can argue that the organizer of a Pro tournament should not be playing in it themselves due to potential conflict of interest issues, I was impressed by his mental discipline necessary to switch from TD to Pro player in seconds. Playing at a world-class Pro level is not an easy thing for people who have nothing else to do at a tournament but play, let alone ones who have to be responsible for running the tournament at the same time.
 
Yeah and I also like TO's game, Allen Iverson's game, Manny Ramirez's game... well you get the picture;)
 
CW's game is worth mentioning this year. He's been competitive.
But, he's STILL not close to reaching champion status.

At the DCC quite a few years ago, we counted him chalking his cue 27 times inbetween shots. At lest Johnny Archer was cleaning the table while he was inbetween shots. (same DCC event)

Is he still the Brunswick Player rep?
 
Johnnyt said:
OK, as much as I hate doing this, I will. A lot of players don't care for Charlie Williams but you have to like his game lately. Only American in the final 8 and has been playing very well for the last year. Johnnyt

CW seems to be on fire of late. My filipino friends told me he was the first player through the group stages at the WTBC winning 9-3,9-3 against filipino player,9-2 against Dominguez. 27-8 in first 3 matches pretty sporty.they said he was playing fast and super strong.intimidating to his opponents.
congrats Charlie
 
Spade said:
CW seems to be on fire of late. My filipino friends told me he was the first player through the group stages at the WTBC winning 9-3,9-3 against filipino player,9-2 against Dominguez. 27-8 in first 3 matches pretty sporty.they said he was playing fast and super strong.intimidating to his opponents.
congrats Charlie


Charlie grew up playing fast, and he has a very fast gear. He also has been beating champions forever. I saw him beat Mark Tadd when he was fourteen, and that's when Tadd was winning everything.

His slow gear is painful. But lots of great players take forever, especially when the matches are tight. Upcoming players are almost forced to learn to play at a snails pace because for some reason no one wants to put in a fair and usable chess type shot clock to end the stalling as fairly as possible.
 
Back
Top