C.J. Wiley VS Keith McCready - What's The Line?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
are you just trying to wake the dead?

Is your secretary writing your posts now or are you just trying to be sneaky? :groucho:

Jay's tournament in 93, wasn't it at the Burbank Hilton? Francisco Bustamante made his debut there.....what an incredible player he was at that age.

Sounds like you are speaking from experience, and may have dabbled in a few 'illicit no-no's' yourself ?...You certainly described them well !...I never really messed much with drugs, but I always felt, that my liking a cocktail or three, while gambling high at pool, was actually a little added "spot" for my opponent....My nervous stakehorses sure never thought of it as 'cheating'...They pried many a bottle of YJ away from my grubby hands, and thirsty lips ! :eek:

To call it "cheating or disgraceful", seems a little bizarre !...Don't knock it if you haven't tried it...Puritan's, (like you are sounding like) were always my favorite victims. lol..It also sounds like you're saying Ronnie Allen and Keither, were just
'no talent cheats', cuz they did BOTH booze and uppers !..Sorry, but that made them my hero's in my book ! :cool: :eek: :grin:

SJD

Sounds like you are speaking from experience, and may have dabbled in a few 'illicit no-no's' yourself ?...You certainly described them well !...I never really messed much with drugs, but I always felt, that my liking a cocktail or three, while gambling high at pool, was actually a little added "spot" for my opponent....My nervous stakehorses sure never thought of it as 'cheating'...They pried many a bottle of YJ away from my grubby hands, and thirsty lips ! :eek:

To call it "cheating or disgraceful", seems a little bizarre !...Don't knock it if you haven't tried it...Puritan's, (like you are sounding like) were always my favorite victims. lol..It also sounds like you're saying Ronnie Allen and Keither, were just
'no talent cheats', cuz they did BOTH booze and uppers !..Sorry, but that made them my hero's in my book ! :cool: :eek: :grin:

SJD

I fail to understand how wanting to see sport played cleanly is puritanical.

America is out of step with the rest of the world on this one. The denial over lance armstrong had to be seen to be believed.

Hold a drug olympics if you wish but call it that.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is your secretary writing your posts now or are you just trying to be sneaky? :groucho: Jay's tournament in 93, wasn't it at the Burbank Hilton? Francisco Bustamante made his debut there.....what an incredible player he was at that age.

I wish I had a secretary to absorb my mistakes !..You, on the other hand, should REALLY look into getting one ! :thumbup:
..Lord only knows where you are coming from, but you are wrong AGAIN, on all 3 counts. Jay's '93 LA open, was held at the Marriot/Airport hotel..(Mark Tadd won the 9ball and the overall, and Steve Cook won the one pocket.)

I don't know what Busty has to do with this conversation, but if he did play in it, he certainly didn't make a big impression in that particular tournament. That was my first tournament, after retiring from UPS.. I was almost 60 yrs old, and I went deeper than either Keith, or RA (who I hadn't even seen in over 20 years)... You need to check with people who were there (or maybe Jay himself) before you spout your OFTEN mistaken rhetoric ! :rolleyes:

SJD <--Finally got a 'brag' in edgewise ! ;)

PS..In any event, you are much better at blowing your own horn, than you are at complimenting Busty, or other player's. (but everyone knows that)..You REALLY need this book ! :eek:
imagesCACLCRN1.jpg

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That bridge must be the loosest in the world!

I've noticed a few other players of that era using that bridge (Tor Lowry can be seen using it in his online instruction videos). It seem they use the fingers to form a "vee" at the bottom as in an open bridge, instead of actually gripping onto the stick with them. Whatever we may think about it, Keith sure made it work for him.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I wish I had a secretary to absorb my mistakes !..You, on the other hand, should REALLY look into getting one ! :thumbup:
..Lord only knows where you are coming from, but you are wrong AGAIN, on all 3 counts. Jay's '93 LA open, was held at the Marriot/Airport hotel..(Mark Tadd won the 9ball and the overall, and Steve Cook won the one pocket.)

I don't know what Busty has to do with this conversation, but if he did play in it, he certainly didn't make a big impression in that particular tournament. That was my first tournament, after retiring from UPS.. I was almost 60 yrs old, and I went deeper than either Keith, or RA (who I hadn't even seen in over 20 years)... You need to check with people who were there (or maybe Jay himself) before you spout your OFTEN mistaken rhetoric ! :rolleyes:

SJD <--Finally got a 'brag' in edgewise ! ;)

PS..In any event, you are much better at blowing your own horn, than you are at complimenting Busty, or other player's. (but everyone knows that)..You REALLY need this book ! :eek:
View attachment 367895

You are pretty sporty at tooting the ol horn yourself champ:rolleyes::D
I don't know where you acquired your typing/writing skills but they are equally impressive. I wouldn't think you or CJ require secretarial help in posting...... Me on the other hand.... I could use one lol
Edit to add.... Is that a Bassett Hound in your avatar pic

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed a few other players of that era using that bridge (Tor Lowry can be seen using it in his online instruction videos). It seem they use the fingers to form a "vee" at the bottom as in an open bridge, instead of actually gripping onto the stick with them. Whatever we may think about it, Keith sure made it work for him.

The weird thing is that it looks like Keith is about to break. How the hell does he control whitey so well with that loose bridge?
Look at SVB when breaking, he`s loop is super tight.
Not that I`m in their league, but I need my loop to as tight as possible if I want good control. The Mezz Deep Impact Pro shaft is so stiff, I really have to keep my hand planted and loop tight in order to utilize the shafts stiffness and power.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fail to understand how wanting to see sport played cleanly is puritanical.

Tim, you guys had your run with substance abuse. Snooker is very far removed from "puritanical". Jimmy White was a crack addict, Ronnie O. was big into booze and cocaine, and Alex Higgins, well...

Higgins was about as loathsome a character as ever held a cue, and you guys revere him. Not only did he drink and use drugs to great excess, he smoked like a chimney, head-butted officials, gut-punched promoters, and was quite the little woman beater as well. His antics made Keither look like a Mormon by comparison, and Earl the Pearl seem like Mother Teresa.

Keith is a good guy by all accounts, a man who drank and had fun, and brought delight to everyone who saw him play. Higgins brought only misery to himself and everyone who came near him. "The People's Champion". What kind of people are you, anyway?

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know where you acquired your typing/writing skills but they are equally impressive. I wouldn't think you or CJ require secretarial help in posting...... Me on the other hand.... I could use one lol

Oh, I thought it was CJ's secretary who puts in all those curly "math" braces into his posts {so he can look fancier than us non-champions}. Maybe when he gets a real secretary she will start using regular parentheses (just like everybody else).

BTW after seeing SJD use a pic of his cute little pup as his avatar photo, I decided to use a pic of my new pup as mine. Ain't he a pretty one?:smile:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Oh, I thought it was CJ's secretary who puts in all those curly "math" braces into his posts {so he can look fancier than us non-champions}. Maybe when he gets a real secretary she will start using regular parentheses (just like everybody else).

BTW after seeing SJD use a pic of his cute little pup as his avatar photo, I decided to use a pic of my new pup as mine. Ain't he a pretty one?:smile:

I have a 13 year old Bassett Hound a Pit Bull and a Jack Russell. Not to mention a pot belly pig and a hedge hog named Harley so I usually notice when someone uses a pet for their avatar. Mighty fine looking pup BTW

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
The weird thing is that it looks like Keith is about to break. How the hell does he control whitey so well with that loose bridge?
Look at SVB when breaking, he`s loop is super tight.
Not that I`m in their league, but I need my loop to as tight as possible if I want good control. The Mezz Deep Impact Pro shaft is so stiff, I really have to keep my hand planted and loop tight in order to utilize the shafts stiffness and power.

How bout Archer breaking with an open bridge. That's tough to get accustomed to

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can tighten this type of bridge by turning your bridge hand counter-clockwise

It appears that way, however, he has the cue secure where it counts. You can tighten this type of bridge by turning your bridge hand counter-clockwise so the cue will stay on the "track" or "groove".

That bridge must be the loosest in the world!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
PBTA players couldn't play there, something "political" I would imagine.

Yes, I was talking about the Pro tournament he had at the Burbank Hilton. For some reason the PBTA players couldn't play there, something "political" I would imagine.

I heard about the one Mark Tadd won, it was going on at the same time as a PBTA event, Jay would have to remind me of the details. I played Earl on ESPN at his Burbank Event, he actually has a video he offered to send me.....probably should take him up on that offer.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, that was one of my mini-Dachsie's (Ernie)..We've had about a dozen of them over the years. They are a very fun breed. I just lost my 12 year
companion, Crystal a few weeks ago..(Ain't over it yet !) :(...Real cute pup there, Sloppy Pockets !.. What breed is that ?...Don't matter, we love 'em all don't we ? :)

SJD..

PS..I'd rather talk about 'animals' with ANYBODY, than try and talk 'pool' with CJ. :D

Heres Crystal, my blue-eyed dapple, taken a few mos. before she passed.
004.jpg

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, that was one of my Dachsie's (Ernie)..We've had about a dozen of them over the years. They are a very fun breed. I just lost my 12 year
companion, Crystal a few weeks ago..(Ain't over it yet !) :(

Real cute pup there, Sloppy Pockets !.. What breed is that ?...Don't matter, we love 'em all don't we ?...I'd rather talk about 'animals' with
ANYBODY, than try and talk 'pool' with CJ. :D

(heres Crytal, a few mos. before she passed)
View attachment 367911

Thanks, SJD. That's Tucker, an Australian Shepard and a real sweet boy. A bit too energetic, but that goes with this breed. Brainy dogs as well, supposedly second only to border collies. Last thing I probably need is a dog that's smarter than me, but I guess I should have somebody to keep me on my toes.

I swore I'd never get another dog after I lost my beloved little English Setter girl about 5 years ago, but retirement is a lonely thing, especially since the wife still works. Tucker filled an empty spot in my heart in a way only a dog can do. Haven't touched a pool cue in the last three weeks, but that will come soon enough.

Nice pic of you and your late dog, you both look great. Hard to believe you're as old as you say you are. Christ, CJ looks older than you do. Musta been all the YJ, preserving you for the ages. ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's effective for a "pop" break, but that isn't Johnny's claim to fame.

I talked to him about that in Shreveport. He said he was just using it on a bar table.....have you seen him use it on a 9'? It's effective for a "pop" break, but that isn't Johnny's claim to fame.

johnny_archer_skins.jpg

How bout Archer breaking with an open bridge. That's tough to get accustomed to

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Craig Stevens was always regarded as the "Best"

"Fat Randy," now that was a character! I had a few occasions to be around him in Tulsa at the original 'Billiard Palace'.....he liked his preludes, sometimes 7 at a time.

Craig Stevens was always regarded as the "Best" in some of these categories.

Yep, there was also desoxyn and the white crosses. Pool players, musicians definitely imbibed and would play for days. Red's Houston early eighties, Fat Randy vs Goose Benny Conway, went over Fifty hours. Benny won wearing a white outfit....played with the Big Ball.

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
"Fat Randy," now that was a character! I had a few occasions to be around him in Tulsa at the original 'Billiard Palace'.....he liked his preludes, sometimes 7 at a time.

Craig Stevens was always regarded as the "Best" in some of these categories.

Scooter is interested in john and yourself coming to cleveland to match up anytime. The words from his own mouth so it's real simple come to cleveland.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, SJD. That's Tucker, an Australian Shepard and a real sweet boy. A bit too energetic, but that goes with this breed. Brainy dogs as well, supposedly second only to border collies. Last thing I probably need is a dog that's smarter than me, but I guess I should have somebody to keep me on my toes.

I swore I'd never get another dog after I lost my beloved little English Setter girl about 5 years ago, but retirement is a lonely thing, especially since the wife still works. Tucker filled an empty spot in my heart in a way only a dog can do. Haven't touched a pool cue in the last three weeks, but that will come soon enough.

Nice pic of you and your late dog, you both look great. Hard to believe you're as old as you say you are. Christ, CJ looks older than you do. Musta been all the YJ, preserving you for the ages. ;)

Not to get too maudlin SP, but I was in the same shape as you. (retired, wife still working).. Then the worst happened !..My wife passed away 3 years ago, last July, a few weeks before her 65th birthday, and our 36th wedding anniversary. She loved all our animal's too, but she was extra close to Crystal.

Since then, I have doted on Crystal, as she was my only link to the past 'good life' with Kathy..REAL tough losses !..I sure never thought I'd outlive either one of them...Sorry guy's, thats enough of this 'self pity' BS...I'm headin' down to the bar for a cocktail (or 3)...I know I'll find a few friends there, to lean on ! :eek:

SJD

I guess this is all 'NPR' stuff, but please indulge me guys..Here we are on our 10th wedding anniversary.
... (lotsa good mem's) :)
IMG_0001_NEW.jpg
100_0097.jpg

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't heard of anything going on in Cleveland

Cleveland? Isn't Indianapolis far enough, I'm in Texas. I named a neutral location, it can be St. Louis, we all know that's a great area to gamble in.

I haven't heard of anything going on in Cleveland, although I did travel with a guy, "Big Brad" that was from there....he spoke highly of an indian player named "Junior".

Scooter is interested in john and yourself coming to cleveland to match up anytime. The words from his own mouth so it's real simple come to cleveland.