C.J. Wiley VS Keith McCready - What's The Line?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is America the most medicated nation on Earth?

We certainly don't see as many illegal drugs around like in the 70s and 80s, however, the pharmaceutical companies have many Americans "eating out of the palm of their hand".

The pharmaceutical market is booming***, with a reported 50% of Americans on some kind of "medication".....pain pills are the worst, after 3 weeks the liver starts processing them in a way that makes them act as a stimulant. The withdraw period for such drugs is 3 weeks of restless nights, irritable days.....no wonder so many people are hooked on these "legal drugs" that are comparable to a "mild" dose of heroin.

Is America the most medicated nation on Earth? Could be, according to data just released by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) showing that at least half of all Americans takes at least one prescription drug, with one in six taking three or more medications.

“Americans are taking medicines that lower cholesterol and reduce the threat of heart disease, that help lift people out of debilitating depressions, and that keep diabetes in check,” said HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson in an HHS press release.

played in altered states the majority of time from the early sixties ( didn't play from 65 through 74) at a weak shortstop level with the ability to fall into a zone (on rare occasions) until i stopped again in 79

when i started to play again in the mid 80"s, without "help", i knew that playing real slooooow drove the dopers up the wall. Pisst some off and got the cash against those that melted down because of the pace

pity the fools who couldn't kick and sold out to the addiction demon

hopefully substance abuse isn't as rampant today as it was

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
These were a popular item back in the day. I've seen gamblers and pool players take these things like M&Ms and stay up for days.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black+beauties

Yep, there was also desoxyn and the white crosses. Pool players, musicians definitely imbibed and would play for days. Red's Houston early eighties, Fat Randy vs Goose Benny Conway, went over Fifty hours. Benny won wearing a white outfit....played with the Big Ball.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct

Coke destroys your game. It makes you nervous and jumpy and focused on everything but the pool game. It all comes down to mood and it does work in the beginning but after that it's just trying to maintain. Watch someone jacked up, they are twitching and messing with the cue, they can't be still. It's like texting and driving . Once you get that initial bang then your just chasing it. The problem is when it starts to wear off you don't go back to normal you start feeling like sh1t and you have to keep doing it until you crash.
This isn't something I read it's something I've lived. I play better on weed than anything and I don't play good without it which is a bad thing

The PGA Tour banned "beta blockers" which relaxed the players who were nervous like anti-anxiety drugs..xanax, valium, klonapin..etc. It gave them an unfair advantage.

Cocaine and amphetamines while keeping you awake and give you energy do give you the shakes, twitching and nervousness..death to a pool game..unless the upper would be balanced out with a 'benzo"..like a xanax. Alot of players take ritalin or adderal to focus without the side effects of Coke.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is America the most medicated nation on Earth? Could be, according to data just released by the Department showing that at least half of all Americans takes at least one prescription drug, with one in six taking three or more medications.

“Americans are taking medicines that lower cholesterol and reduce the threat of heart disease, that help lift people out of debilitating depressions, and that keep diabetes in check,” said HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson in an HHS press release.

That's horrible. Imagine folks taking prescription medications just to stay alive. These drugs should be considered to be cheating in pool, since everybody knows a live guy plays at least two balls better than a dead guy.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
some just choose the wrong ones

That's my point, many need a particular medicine (drug), some just choose the wrong ones. ;) Even nicotine and caffeine are seriously additive, not to mention what Monsanto and other companies are doing to give food addicts a "fix".

QUOTE=Sloppy Pockets;5013019]That's horrible. Imagine folks taking prescription medications just to stay alive. These drugs should be considered to be cheating in pool, since everybody knows a live guy plays at least two balls better than a dead guy.[/QUOTE]

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These were a popular item back in the day. I've seen gamblers and pool players take these things like M&Ms and stay up for days.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=black+beauties

They used to be over-the-counter meds when I was a kid. Then you had to get a prescription for them, but that was easy enough. Just get a fat girlfriend and a doctor willing to "help" her and you were golden.

I never dabbled in downers or narcotics. I was an upper freak. Benzedrine, Dexedrine, Black Beauties, leading eventually to coke and crank. I used to get very clean crystal meth from my BIL in Cali. It gave a very clear and jitter-free high that lasted a long time.

I can see how someone could reach levels of focus on that stuff that would allow you to play at a much higher level, but I wasn't much of a pool player, so it was mostly so I could stay up all night with my musician friends.

Been over a quarter of century since I last abused my nose with a line of coke or meth. I can't see anything bad enough in life that would make me walk down that dark corridor again.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the fastest $200 i ever lost in my life (well besides flipping quarters), was to Keith at CJ's billiard palace back in the 90's. playing the ghost, race to 9, he beat the ghost in 17 mins 9-2, unreal. and that was on the tight black crowns.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's my point, many need a particular medicine (drug), some just choose the wrong ones. ;) Even nicotine and caffeine are seriously additive, not to mention what Monsanto and other companies are doing to give food addicts a "fix".

Sorry, I was a little confused by the way you presented that info.

And don't get me started on Monsanto, they are the devil of all devils. :/

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
the fastest $200 i ever lost in my life (well besides flipping quarters), was to Keith at CJ's billiard palace back in the 90's. playing the ghost, race to 9, he beat the ghost in 17 mins 9-2, unreal. and that was on the tight black crowns.

Did he get BIH after the break?

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh really....

Coke/amphet or any other uppers will make you feel nerveless, clear headed, focused and confident, not to mention give you energy. The downside is you think you can beat anyone, invincible. To say it is a disadvantage to use them is facile at best. To give former players victim status because of it is disgraceful. They are cheats, nothing more, nothing less.

Sounds like you are speaking from experience, and may have dabbled in a few 'illicit no-no's' yourself ?...You certainly described them well !...I never really messed much with drugs, but I always felt, that my liking a cocktail or three, while gambling high at pool, was actually a little added "spot" for my opponent....My nervous stakehorses sure never thought of it as 'cheating'...They pried many a bottle of YJ away from my grubby hands, and thirsty lips ! :eek:

To call it "cheating or disgraceful", seems a little bizarre !...Don't knock it if you haven't tried it...Puritan's, (like you are sounding like) were always my favorite victims. lol..It also sounds like you're saying Ronnie Allen and Keither, were
'no talent cheats', cuz they did BOTH booze and uppers !..Sorry, but that made them my hero's in my book ! :cool: :eek: :grin:

SJD

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, you had noooo chance.

When he was at the apex of his game you might not of liked him playing as they lay.

Ya you got that right betting even against the ghost is a losing bet for almost all pro's in not all ,, you would have to get a minimum of 5 games on the wire in most cases for it to be a fair bet

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Sounds like you are speaking from experience, and may have dabbled in a few 'illicit no-no's' yourself ?..You certainly described it well ! ;)...I never really messed much with drugs, but I always felt, that my liking a cocktail or three, while gambling high at pool, was actually a little added "spot" for my opponent..My stakehorses sure never thought of it as 'cheating' :eek:

To call it "cheating or disgraceful", seems a little bizarre !...Don't knock it if you haven't tried it :eek:...Puritan's, (like you are sounding like) were always my favorite victims. lol...It also sounds like you're saying Ronnie Allen was just a big, no talent cheat, cuz he did both booze and uppers !...Sorry, but that made him my hero ! :cool: :eek: :grin:

SJD

how long and strong would he have played on the natch?

how would his golden pond yrs played out if his habits/lifestyle had been differant?

had empathy for him the last couple of times i saw him

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I lived in Taiwan,in the early 70s, you could LEGALLY buy any kind of pill you wanted in the local pharmacies and drug stores. I don't know if that is the case today, but that may explain why everybody there is the World Champion. :)

Just kidding...I know it is because they all use Southwest cues. :)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how long and strong would he have played on the natch? how would his golden pond yrs played out if his habits/lifestyle had been differant? I had empathy for him the last couple of times i saw him

I agree, he faded fairly quickly...But no one had any more fun, gambling at pool than we did, while it lasted !

PS. You missed my late edit (in post #336)..I threw Keither in the mix too ;).. I staked RA to play Keith one pocket, at Jay's LA open in '93 !...We edged him out, but it was a great show !

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everybody that was anybody played at CJ's in the 90s

I wish there was more video from all the action at CJ's Billiard Palace. I hear people to this day talking about when they saw "Efren" or "Earl" or etc. etc. etc.(pictures below)

Everybody that was anybody played at CJ's in the 90s....Even Willie Mosconi and Jimmy Carras hit some balls there when we inducted UJ Puckett into the Texas Hall of Fame. Eddie Taylor, Jersey Red, and Alfie Taylor also made appearances.

Efren practicing at CJ's
63218_162268733799171_6655769_n.jpg
Reid Pierce and Mike Massey
37159_162268743799170_154496_n.jpg
Paul Potier and Jay Helfert
40912_162257553800289_2904525_n.jpg