Can't find a fargo rate on some of the more famous pool instructors

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pay no attention to the no-name critics. Your level of play is impressive.
Thanks Mike. However, I still want to get much better ... and I’m sure I can. Although, I doubt my level of play would ever be good enough for the hard-core AZB Naysayers, though.

Best regards,
Dave

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike. However, I still want to get much better ... and I’m sure I can. Although, I doubt my level of play would ever be good enough for the hard-core AZB Naysayers, though.

Best regards,
Dave

I don't think you could get better. This isn't a rub on you. You've devoted years to this game, as have many of us.

This could be a good question that FargoRate may now be able to answer. Is there a measurable improvement in match success once a player finishes their initial rise when learning the game?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you could get better. This isn't a rub on you. You've devoted years to this game, as have many of us.

This could be a good question that FargoRate may now be able to answer. Is there a measurable improvement in match success once a player finishes their initial rise when learning the game?

That's a belief you have. Don't saddle other people with it.

Players can improve very much. Even after playing a long time. Most don't however, which is why that idea survives.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a belief you have. Don't saddle other people with it.

Players can improve very much. Even after playing a long time. Most don't however, which is why that idea survives.

Correct, its my belief based on my observations. The point of my post was we may now have a vehicle (FargoRate) to give data either way.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best regards,
Dave

Don't sweat it.

Some here scoffs at a 626 14.1 run.

So, if the 626 run isn't impressive, well,....the rest of us are toast.

BTW, an early CONGRATULATIONS on your "upcoming" retirement.

Also, don't make to many plans for retirement because I can guarantee you that you'll work harder after retirement......just seems to ............work :wink:.......that way.

Jeff

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I have to say I have learned more from Dr. Dave and Tor's videos in the past few years than anything else to help my game. I just find it odd, they don't have a fargo. Nothing more nothing less. But it could be due to that they aren't in area that uses fargo or just don't want to play tournaments.

I have watched, and practiced, EVERYTHING Tor has produced. I have a Master's on the BU exam (7ft.Table, so couldn't get a phd) I recently had a lesson with Scott Lee that has done more good then all the rest.

Not necessarily because of any groundbreaking insights, but because he was able to break down my psr, my eye pattern, and my stroke frame by frame and millisecond by millisecond. This showed me what my head, shoulder, and wrist were doing on various shot speeds, and why I was not consistent throughout the course of a match.

I dont know what Scott's FR is, but I do know his instruction has helped me shoot straighter with more consistency than a couple of years of watching tor's YouTube videos ever did.

There is something to be said for having a coach there with you pointing out corrections in your stroke. JMO.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched, and practiced, EVERYTHING Tor has produced. I have a Master's on the BU exam (7ft.Table, so couldn't get a phd) I recently had a lesson with Scott Lee that has done more good then all the rest.

Not necessarily because of any groundbreaking insights, but because he was able to break down my psr, my eye pattern, and my stroke frame by frame and millisecond by millisecond. This showed me what my head, shoulder, and wrist were doing on various shot speeds, and why I was not consistent throughout the course of a match.

I dont know what Scott's FR is, but I do know his instruction has helped me shoot straighter with more consistency than a couple of years of watching tor's YouTube videos ever did.

There is something to be said for having a coach there with you pointing out corrections in your stroke. JMO.

I agree. A quality instructor should always be preferred over anyone's videos or books.

I'm in line for one of Scott's lessons when he can make it.

I'm waiting Scott....impatiently....um...I mean patiently :).

Jeff

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The legendary CTE internet troll "cookie man" will give Dave the 7.

I bet he's really worried now:eek:

He has absolutely nothing to be worried about. We will never play.
Just gave an honest opinion. The runouts were good, but the table layouts were also. Hard to tell much about the complete game from that video.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am confident you are wrong. I have not been able to put in near enough playing time (compared to top players). My “day job” and my other hobbies have been quite demanding over the years. Also, I have recently made improvements in my mechanics, and ever time I watch a new video of myself playing, I see many more things that can be improved. But mostly, I know that more time at the table, with dedicated and smart practice, will pay off.

I agree 100%. I think FargoRate is a great tool to accurately measure progress over time. I hope all league systems and tournaments eventually start using it. I know ... I’m asking for too much again.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The legendary CTE internet troll "cookie man" will give Dave the 7.

I bet he's really worried now:eek:
That “cookie man” must really suck if he thinks I am an APA 4, and he is only willing to give me the 7! :eek: :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Don't sweat it.

Some here scoffs at a 626 14.1 run.

So, if the 626 run isn't impressive, well,....the rest of us are toast.
Good point.

BTW, an early CONGRATULATIONS on your "upcoming" retirement.
Thank you.

Also, don't make to many plans for retirement because I can guarantee you that you'll work harder after retirement......just seems to ............work :wink:.......that way.
I am sure you are right.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think this is the first time, over all of these years of you posting in AZB, that I can say that I totally agree with you. I guess anything is possible now. :eek:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That “cookie man” must really suck if he thinks I am an APA 4, and he is only willing to give me the 7! :eek: :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

I am not the one who called you an apa 4. Never ever said that. A 4 couldn't beat the ghost like you did. But you have to admit those balls set up like practice run outs after the break. No clusters, no problem balls.
For the record, I said solid 8 in apa nine ball.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is the first time, over all of these years of you posting in AZB, that I can say that I totally agree with you. I guess anything is possible now. :eek:

Well you are in Colorado and i am in florida and neither of us travel to play pool, so it was an easy call. Good luck in your retirement and i agree with you, you game will improve when you get away from teaching so much. I think it's hard to teach and play. Different mind sets.

JC

Coos Cues
Just gave an honest opinion. The runouts were good, but the table layouts were also. Hard to tell much about the complete game from that video.

A lot of people have left busted when their "honest opinion" was that they could give some chump the 7. People are just like that especially people like Cookie the Enforcer!

I have an idea. Mike Page recently posted a top 50 fargo list for Oregon and Washington on facebook. Maybe he could post one here for Florida and we can have a contest guessing which one is the Cookie Monster Player?

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care how big the pockets are on the table, you have to be able to play some to post some of the scores Dr Dave did.

I care. The pocket size is part of the equation. New cloth applied to a big pocket and things get silly. If you can't do it on a 4" pocket with month old pool hall cloth you can't do it. IMO I don't know what the TDF would be for that table, but its gotta be way under 1.00.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of people have left busted when their "honest opinion" was that they could give some chump the 7. People are just like that especially people like Cookie the Enforcer!

I have an idea. Mike Page recently posted a top 50 fargo list for Oregon and Washington on facebook. Maybe he could post one here for Florida and we can have a contest guessing which one is the Cookie Monster Player?

The one with the 639 rating and heading to the US Amateurs Championship?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he is higher that an apa4, but again, no balls were ever touching after the break. He had zero break out shots and no balls in any trouble. Hats off for running out yes,

One thing for sure, he doesn't play as good as you or your brother.

I believe you can both give him the seven in nine ball to make it even.