Can't stand APA 9-ball

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Just got done with my 9-ball match and lost again. I really hate the way the APA scores their matches. I won almost every game but lost the match. I mean how messed up is this. How can you let someone with when they lost 90% of the games be called a winner.

I grew up playing defensive and waiting for the perfect out and I would win that way. But now that they got this point system in place apparently winning isn't important and has taken defensive long run strategy out of the picture and tuned this into a purely offensive game. I think 9-ball should be treated the same way 8-ball is and you should be judged by the number of games you win.

The APA should at the very least make the 9-ball worth more than 2 points (4 or 5 would be good) so people get more credit for winning the game.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Woofresh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive never done apa... so forgive if i dont get something but if u play defensive.. they shouldnt be getting good looks to pocket... if anything.. this encourages not having to finish strong... u can run to 8 and when the guy pockets the 9... u have more points...

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Just got done with my 9-ball match and lost again. I really hate the way the APA scores their matches. I won almost every game but lost the match. I mean how messed up is this. How can you let someone with when they lost 90% of the games be called a winner.

I grew up playing defensive and waiting for the perfect out and I would win that way. But now that they got this point system in place apparently winning isn't important and has taken defensive long run strategy out of the picture and tuned this into a purely offensive game. I think 9-ball should be treated the same way 8-ball is and you should be judged by the number of games you win.

The APA should at the very least make the 9-ball worth more than 2 points (4 or 5 would be good) so people get more credit for winning the game.

Does anyone else feel this way?

It is still an advantage to play good defense, but you cannot let your opponent run 7 balls and you only make two. Different strategy, but it is really a reasonable system. I am not an APA fan other than the social aspect but I do feel the system is as fair as any other.

Essentially, the nine should be worth more because you are now breaking with an opportunity to run out. You also score for every ball made on the break. I am not trying to be too rude but it sounds to me like you are mad that a guy you feel you are better than ran more balls than you. I can assure you that the 9 being worth more is not the answer as a low ranked player could luck a couple in and you would have no chance to win.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't. And I'll tell you why.

If they played 9-ball based on winning games, with traditional 9-ball rules, half the players in the division (conservatively speaking, methinks) would be taking wild shots to ride the 9, over and over again.

Look around your division, and say they wouldn't. After all, all ya gotta do in that type of game is slop the 9 in, anywhere. Hit it hard, and see what happens...

I like this way. It makes you have to worry about every shot, not just getting to and making the 9. I think it makes it easier to handicap for a lower level player vs a higher level player, and yes, I think it is tougher on the higher Skill Level players. Still, they will win more they they lose, because they are the better player. (I am still one of the lesser players, for full disclosure.)

That's how I see it. I like it.

Myrtle_04

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say you play defensive. I agree with the previous poster....how are they running balls if you're playing good defense. Any pro will tell you that rules are different in every tournament you play these days. You have to adapt and use the rules to your advantage. Like they said. The 9-ball being worth more would make you even more angry because you would get that one guy that cant run 3 balls, but manages luck in the 9 every other rack. Don't get me wrong, defense is great. It's not about winning racks. It's about limiting the amount of balls the other player gets. I've seen times where a 9 was put in a position by his team where he had to limit his opponent to less than 10 balls. That's SICK, but it happens. If you don't break dry and play good defense. Your opponent shouldn't stand a chance, especially if they get nervous around the 7 or 8 ball like I used to.

Good Luck

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is still an advantage to play good defense, but you cannot let your opponent run 7 balls and you only make two. Different strategy, but it is really a reasonable system. I am not an APA fan other than the social aspect but I do feel the system is as fair as any other.

Essentially, the nine should be worth more because you are now breaking with an opportunity to run out. You also score for every ball made on the break. I am not trying to be too rude but it sounds to me like you are mad that a guy you feel you are better than ran more balls than you. I can assure you that the 9 being worth more is not the answer as a low ranked player could luck a couple in and you would have no chance to win.

I don't. And I'll tell you why.

If they played 9-ball based on winning games, with traditional 9-ball rules, half the players in the division (conservatively speaking, methinks) would be taking wild shots to ride the 9, over and over again.

Look around your division, and say they wouldn't. After all, all ya gotta do in that type of game is slop the 9 in, anywhere. Hit it hard, and see what happens...

I like this way. It makes you have to worry about every shot, not just getting to and making the 9. I think it makes it easier to handicap for a lower level player vs a higher level player, and yes, I think it is tougher on the higher Skill Level players. Still, they will win more they they lose, because they are the better player. (I am still one of the lesser players, for full disclosure.)

That's how I see it. I like it.

Yeah but thats another think I dont think you should be allowed to slop the 9 I think that just like in 8 ball you should have to call the pocket. I hate it when people win on slop.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yeah but thats another think I dont think you should be allowed to slop the 9 I think that just like in 8 ball you should have to call the pocket. I hate it when people win on slop.

World and National Championships have been won with those rules...if APA changed them, imagine the furor.

This is better. IMHO.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say you play defensive. I agree with the previous poster....how are they running balls if you're playing good defense. Any pro will tell you that rules are different in every tournament you play these days. You have to adapt and use the rules to your advantage. Like they said. The 9-ball being worth more would make you even more angry because you would get that one guy that cant run 3 balls, but manages luck in the 9 every other rack. Don't get me wrong, defense is great. It's not about winning racks. It's about limiting the amount of balls the other player gets. I've seen times where a 9 was put in a position by his team where he had to limit his opponent to less than 10 balls. That's SICK, but it happens. If you don't break dry and play good defense. Your opponent shouldn't stand a chance, especially if they get nervous around the 7 or 8 ball like I used to.

Good Luck

By defense I tie up the key balls and put them in positions where they are difficult to get to on a run. This way they can run up to the 7 8 or 9 and screw up then I get the last 2 or three. I also like to combo the 9 or carom to knock in the 9.

I am trying to change the way I play but I fall into old habits that cause me to win the games but lose the matches.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive never done apa... so forgive if i dont get something but if u play defensive.. they shouldnt be getting good looks to pocket... if anything.. this encourages not having to finish strong... u can run to 8 and when the guy pockets the 9... u have more points...

You didn't out run the handicap dude...its that smiple.
I'm not being a smart mouth..
Better luck next time.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
As an active SL9 in the APA, I have struggled at times with the handicap. It is tough sometimes giving such a large spot, but if I am playing to my expected level, it doesn't matter. That is what a handicapped league is about. If my opponent plays good (for their level) and I do not, I lose. I don't like it but it is my own fault. The scoring of balls is not going to affect how each of us play our match significantly.

For example - I finally played a really good match this past week against a SL4 to move to the 2nd round of playoffs. I never had a break/run but did play defense very early in the game and then ran out ever rack after a miss. 3 weeks prior I played a SL5 and played horrible and got beat 16-4.

The APA handicap on 9-ball is really good for what it does. I disapprove of many aspects of APA but 9-ball truly gives each player a chance, 8-ball doesn't do this well for each end of the spectrum. The 23-rule sabotaging teams I think is a real issue, because all it really does is attemtps to increase APA revenue with additional teams, but when an area is saturated it does nothing but diminish revenue... and hurt people. I know people who won a trip to vegas but cannot complete due to that rule, but the 9-ball handicap is low skill level biased but effective at its target.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By defense I tie up the key balls and put them in positions where they are difficult to get to on a run. This way they can run up to the 7 8 or 9 and screw up then I get the last 2 or three. I also like to combo the 9 or carom to knock in the 9.

I am trying to change the way I play but I fall into old habits that cause me to win the games but lose the matches.

apa 9 ball has a different strategy. need to look at the over all point tally instead of individual games. say you need 12 points with a decent layout and an opportunity to combo the 9 early. no point in comboing the 9 when you need points to win. leave it and run out.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
apa 9 ball has a different strategy. need to look at the over all point tally instead of individual games. say you need 12 points with a decent layout and an opportunity to combo the 9 early. no point in comboing the 9 when you need points to win. leave it and run out.

I'm only a SL4 in 9-ball, and even I will take an open table over an easy 9-ball combo. Every time. The only time I'll take the combo is if the table isn't very open, and I don't have a chance to run a few.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't out run the handicap dude...its that smiple.
I'm not being a smart mouth..
Better luck next time.

I know I realize that I am just saying that I think it makes more since to have the match scored on the number of games you win not the number of points you score.

DonsSmidget

Guppy
Silver Member
If you want to score on number of games you win, and not points you score, then play APA 8 ball where it is a race to so many games won based on your handicap level

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is a good move in push out nine ball, or eight ball clustering up your oppenent's balls.

But any decent player knows what to do in that position. You won't get very far playing that sort of defense. You also let your oppenent get free points. Plus, if you have enough control to move higher number balls with lower number balls, you really should be able to hide the cue ball with ease.

APA nine ball is okay in my book. Higher level players really need to control the table to win. I think it's a good way to handicap nine ball

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the op - perhaps it will help if you think of it as just straight rotation only with nine balls?

Took me a bit to get used to it, I play as an SL8, but struggle with the spots. A couple of hangars or badly played safeties generally are my downfall. Still have a lot of fun, and that is what it is about!

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good move in push out nine ball, or eight ball clustering up your oppenent's balls.

But any decent player knows what to do in that position. You won't get very far playing that sort of defense. You also let your oppenent get free points. Plus, if you have enough control to move higher number balls with lower number balls, you really should be able to hide the cue ball with ease.

APA nine ball is okay in my book. Higher level players really need to control the table to win. I think it's a good way to handicap nine ball

I have beaten some pretty good SL6 players in 8 ball using this strategy however I realize this wont work with 9 ball. I am use to playing this way and win games but lose the match in 9 ball.

Just need to change my strategy now.