Caveat emptor

Dannydizzan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
by the way, I have a cue that I would like to get refinished for $50.
Just send me the address, Thank you :)

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
i'll pay face value to get this cue back so i can band saw the mf..caveat emptor so it be have a nics day folks.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
why_so_serious.jpg

Effff Mr. SmartyPants with all the fancy words.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
cuesblues !! Be careful how you state your opinion! I'll be damned if you or anyone not regard me as highly respected and reputable in this industry. I find that your remarks hold little to no validity at all. For Leon to state he has a 6m warranty is a slap in everyones face. I have been doing cues for 20 + yrs. and have always stated lifetime warranty on my cues. This covers everything , regardless of price, as long as there is no abuse. And I don't care if it the 1st or 30th owner. I stand behind my work for the life of the cue!!!
I guess CAVEAT EMPTOR is appropriate.
Mike L.

So what you are saying is cues that change owners and shipped around the world should be fixed at no charge, and I have seen it happen, but I wouldn't expect it.

I agree that I overstated my opinion, but every warranty situation is different. ..

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuesblues !! Be careful how you state your opinion! I'll be damned if you or anyone not regard me as highly respected and reputable in this industry. I find that your remarks hold little to no validity at all. For Leon to state he has a 6m warranty is a slap in everyones face. I have been doing cues for 20 + yrs. and have always stated lifetime warranty on my cues. This covers everything , regardless of price, as long as there is no abuse. And I don't care if it the 1st or 30th owner. I stand behind my work for the life of the cue!!!
I guess CAVEAT EMPTOR is appropriate.
Mike L.

I'm going to keep my mouth shut here. ROFLMAO.

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
Let me see if I understand this! The cue is about 1 yr old, has not been abused, has been resold. The new owner is unhappy with the quality of the finish. If this is correct I take offense that people believe it is ok to accept that a cue maker does't need to stand behind his work because it is a sneaky pete. If this cue cost $2000 from what I've read he would not have to refinish the cue either? How many people would agree then. I have found my self in this same situation and always just refinished the cue no questions asked. It is my work and I always stand up and have pride in whatever I sell. Imo this is a serious mistake. If he had just accepted that the cue needed a basic refinishing he would have a loyal fan. Instead he has a mess, and this person may carry a bad feeling for him for a long time. How many lost sales may this attitude cost?? Always, always stand with pride and support your work and your customers. They support you!!!
Mike L.

Lambros, your warranty is a friggin' joke. Why don't you finish the repair work for Sonny @ Rosedale Station that has been sitting in your shop for over 5 years. How about the cue that you made for Richard Keefe that you made 57in. and didn't tell him then gave him a bunch of B.S. when he tried to get you to make it right. By the way, most players and cuemakers in MD. think you're an a$$ hole and not good on your word. I don't want any of your stupid ultra joint cues. I'll stick with the good guys cues. Tony, Timmy and Leon.
Bob

mljl

Registered
Bobco,
I don't know who the hell you are, but you're so wrong that Its ridiculous. First I play @ Rosedale in Sonny's league. Both Sonny and Zach are friends of mine. I see them all the time they never mentioned anything like this. Pure lies and BS #1. Richard did buy a 57" cue from me. He got it at a very reduced price, played with it for 2 yrs. before it became a problem. At that time I built him a new cue to replace the first one. I did everything possible for him. Still unhappy I helped him sell the second cue and make quite a lot of money from it. More lies and BS #2. As far as me and other local cue makers, I seriously doubt they confide in you about business relationships. Every local maker has been in my shop, and we have all talked and helped each other. Lies and BS #3. And as for Leon I even helped him get started when no one else would. I sold him good finished shaft blanks for dirt cheap so he could sell his 1st sneaky's. Sold him my old taper bar,for cheap, helped him with the setup,etc, etc. Get your facts straight, then post!!!!
Mike L.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think this is a simple of example of how a simple action (doing a refinish) can go a long way. I read all too many times about how this or that cue maker on AZB creates turmoil because of their lack of customer appreciation.

Given, the current owner of the cue was not a direct client of Mr. Sly and for that reason, Mr. Sly takes a stance of: F-it, not my direct client, I made no direct money for this guy, it's outside of ____ time-period therefore, pay me $50 or whatever to refinish the cue.

If there's no clear signs of abuse (i.e. the finish is coming up) and the current owner feels strongly that it's not right, what's wrong with explaining to the guy that you usually don't warrant second, third or fourth-hand cues (for a lot of reasons), but explain that if he brings it into your shop---- you'll simply TAKE CARE OF THE GUY??

So, instead of investing a few bucks worth of finish for a random player who is now using your cue, you have a thread on AZB from the guy b1tching about how he was wronged and five pages of back-and-forths of negative BS when this COULD HAVE BEEN a 5-page thread praising the cue maker which could resulted in new sales from forum viewers.

Coming from the I.T. sector, I can't tell you how many times I fixed sh1t that had NOTHING to do with my product or service just so I could leave the client with a happy face. This "NOT MY PROBLEM" attitude is what's wrong with cue making and the billiard sector in general. Finish coming up? FIX IT--- it won't cost you money, it'll MAKE you money in the long-haul. Eventually people will get it.

In regards to ML's warranties and "screwing" people --- that's total non sense. I've seen Mike REBUILD entire cues for people when he could have easily said "Not my problem" (in clear cases it was the client's problem).

I wasn't going to say anything until the obvious chirping by this Bobco dude to back up this Sly guy when Mike made the simple point that cue makers should just refinish cues and warrant them to make their down-line happy. I've owned a Lambros cue since 2006 and Mike refinished my cue 3x for finish issues that were 100% my fault. Never once did Mike chirp about this or that or made so much as a flinch when I asked him to do it.

Readers can deduce their own opinions from here.

The bottom line is: you either buy cues (first-hand or not) from cue makers that go the extra mile or you don't. It is what it is. Mike has ALWAYS gone the extra MILES for me and my entire crew who play with his cue. So next time, refinish a cue and avoid 5 page complaining threads and save yourself the aggravation.

"Clients don't care about how much you know until they know how much you care."

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I'm going to keep my mouth shut here. ROFLMAO.

Nothing wrong with setting high standards but I have found that once I sell a cue to someone they tend to think you should do everything for free after the sale!!!

Tap, Tap, Tap
:ignore::ignore::ignore:

Last edited:

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with setting high standards but I have found that once I sell a cue to someone they tend to think you should do everything for free after the sale!!!

Tap, Tap, Tap
:ignore::ignore::ignore:

I don't work for free either and the cue can not have free eternal lifetime warranty refinishes.
Offering a deep discount since Leon's warranty relates to the original owner only, is more than fair.

mljl

Registered
Bobco, or should I say Country Bob. The one and only that played at bill and billies. Who tried for years to get me to sell him a cue. ( at very highly reduced prices). As for your association with cue makers I have talked with them in the past and you were not thought of in favorable light. Everyone had the same opinion, come in spend hours trying everything ,then asking for huge discounts, leaving unhappy, then bad mouthing the cues. In fact you did this to me 6 or so times. Right!! The fact that you buy Leon's cues is great. Don't make this personal. I won't sell you any cues and good luck.
If my name is on the cue I stand behind it. I was currently contacted by someone who purchased a used cue of mine . It is ~15 yrs old. He loves the cue but it has developed a slight roll (his description). I asked him to send it to me and I will correct it NO CHARGE!!!!
That's how I work.
Mike L.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Bobco, or should I say Country Bob. The one and only that played at bill and billies. Who tried for years to get me to sell him a cue. ( at very highly reduced prices). As for your association with cue makers I have talked with them in the past and you were not thought of in favorable light. Everyone had the same opinion, come in spend hours trying everything ,then asking for huge discounts, leaving unhappy, then bad mouthing the cues. In fact you did this to me 6 or so times. Right!! The fact that you buy Leon's cues is great. Don't make this personal. I won't sell you any cues and good luck.
If my name is on the cue I stand behind it. I was currently contacted by someone who purchased a used cue of mine . It is ~15 yrs old. He loves the cue but it has developed a slight roll (his description). I asked him to send it to me and I will correct it NO CHARGE!!!!
That's how I work.
Mike L.

Mike,

I truly admire your work and when I was collecting cues I owned 2 of your cues and the craftmanship and playability was impeccable.
But, different cuemakers have different opinions and they need to be respected.
Chevy, Nissan, Honda, etc do not offer the same warranties across the board.
I do not feel that cuemakers should not offer lifetime warranty on finishes but if there is a structural issue with the cue not related to abuse by the owner, that's a different story.
Cuemakers don't make cues by the pound like other production companies, therefore the approach on warranty must be completely different.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
.... different cuemakers have different opinions and they need to be respected.

I certainly have different opinions about different cuemakers, some I respect some I do not. Please don't tell me I need to respect the opinions of all cuemakers.

Dave

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I certainly have different opinions about different cuemakers, some I respect some I do not. Please don't tell me I need to respect the opinions of all cuemakers.

Dave

In my humble opinion that's what I feel. You can respect but you don't have to agree with everything they say.
That's what I meant Dave. Also the post was not being generic to all cuemakers, it was related to Mike's post only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
In my humble opinion that's what I feel. You can respect but you don't have to agree with everything they say.
That's what I meant Dave. Also the post was not being generic to all cuemakers, it was related to Mike's post only.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but people are not automatically entitled to my respect, that one must earn.

Dave

Last edited: