Chalk Experiment Results, with Video

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
All Due to Jalapus Logan!!

Well, this is all well and good and all, but it sounds like your chalk baking would result in a rather bland offering. May I suggest a hint of minced garlic, a pinch of sea salt, and maybe a drop or two of sesame oil. I think that would perform quite well in Dr. Dave's next blind taste test!

Thanks a bunch! If you could smell my kitchen right now you would slap your momma for never fixing you up a mess of masters chalk!

Unfortunately the preflag was out of season but even flag is mighty fine cooked up right.

Hu

Attachments

• masterschalkbacon.jpg
    masterschalkbacon.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 442

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
I thought of mentioning this in the video, but I wanted to stay as neutral and non-critical of the companies as possible.

Regards,
Dave

Then the angry mob shows up with pitchforks and torches hunting down Dr Dave for being critical of their favorite chalk. Nobody likes a mob. Good choice DD

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Thanks a bunch! If you could smell my kitchen right now you would slap your momma for never fixing you up a mess of masters chalk!

Unfortunately the preflag was out of season but even flag is mighty fine cooked up right.

Hu

I bet that wipes on smooth like Kamui and tastes better ;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hu
All chalks taste better with bacon, and you can quote me on that. :grin-square:

Cheers,
Dave

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I didn't summarize the results in the video immediately after that particular experiment (... I meant too), but they are summarized and discussed at the end of the video starting at 17:27.

The Blue Diamond and Kamui chalks persisted on the tip longer than the others (especially the Kamui). However, I don't think anyone would recommend hitting many off-center shots in a row before chalking in a real game.

Regards,
Dave

I do it all the time.....just not with any of the chalks u had in the test. Can run several racks without chalking. If u want a free cube and add it to your test results, just say the word, I will mail it to you.....RJ

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do it all the time.....just not with any of the chalks u had in the test. Can run several racks without chalking. If u want a free cube and add it to your test results, just say the word, I will mail it to you.....RJ
What brand do you use? Thank you for the offer to send one, but I prefer to test brand new chalk straight out of the package. Also, I don't know when or if I'll do another set of tests.

Regards,
Dave

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never gave it any thought but not too surprising with the lakes there. Had a few guys from Chicago in my crews working industrial construction over the years. They didn't like it down here summer or winter! Seems like they should have been right at home. Maybe they were, might have been why they left home though!

FWIW if you look at that chart carefully you'll discover that the average yearly relative humidity for most parts of the U.S. is roughly the same. The Great Lakes create a lot of atmospheric moisture, but since moist air rises, most of this is way too high to be felt on the ground. If fact, Peoria (which is south-west of the lakes and thus on the wrong side of the prevailing weather pattern there) has a higher average yearly relative humidity than Chicago does. I live near Albany, NY, and it is almost identical to Chicago in average humidity.

The reason why the construction workers hated it down there was due to the heat + humidity. Although the relative humidity is similar, the dew point is much higher in LA because it is hotter. A high dew point is why we feel uncomfortably hot, not high relative humidity. IOW, unlike residents of So Cal and Arizona, you guys don't have that "good heat" that the much drier southwest enjoys.

Of, course, the chalk don't feel anything. All that affects it is the relative humidity. ;)

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought of mentioning this in the video, but I wanted to stay as neutral and non-critical of the companies as possible.

Regards,
Dave

I bought blue diamond in vegas 3 years ago and still have some left on cube!
It stays on tip so you use less for sure so does not cost more and if it stays on tip that proves it is better!!
I don't play that much now but was playing a bunch before some serious issues with my friend sickness has me trying to get thru it!
Oh ya starting to get it together in case you are wondering tyI will buy some more for sure maybe try that Kamui how does that last on tip?

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotation?

Dave,

First of all, this is great.

Second, can you determine how much rotation each chalk imparted to the cue ball relative to the other brands? Maybe also try to determine coefficients of friction?

Thanks again,

Taek

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
What brand do you use? Thank you for the offer to send one, but I prefer to test brand new chalk straight out of the package. Also, I don't know when or if I'll do another set of tests.

Regards,
Dave

Magic chalk...and yes, it would be brand new, still in the box....2 cubes.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,

First of all, this is great.
Thank you. I thought people would be interested since there are so many unsubstantiated "anecdotal myths" and "marketing claims" out there concerning chalk.

Second, can you determine how much rotation each chalk imparted to the cue ball relative to the other brands?
I didn't do this, but it could be done from the video (e.g., by looking at where the CB hits the cushions for each of the miscue-limit shots, or by trying to count CB rotations from one frame to the next). Based on the consistency of the CB reaction that I observed while editing the maximum-sidespin miscue-limit video, I would expect the spin amounts to be nearly identical among the different chalks.

Maybe also try to determine coefficients of friction?
Again, I didn't do this, but it could be done. The maximum tip offsets I measured were the same as what I've measured in the past (see my October '05 BD article), so the numbers in TP 2.1 are probably very close.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Magic chalk...and yes, it would be brand new, still in the box....2 cubes.
Again, I can't promise anything, but if you send me a box, I'll try them out and maybe run them through my tests when I can find some time. I'll PM you my mailing address.

Thanks,
Dave

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Interesting information... So it's going to come down to feel on chalk? I know the predator feels hard to me like Silver Cup... I know the Blue Diamond and Magic Chalks feel softer than Masters and The Kamui Feels softest.... I think people who dry their chalk like the harder feel of it then the people who leave theirs in the bathroom when they shower.....

In the world where we go games without chalking there may be advantages to higher end chalks but if you chalk each shot then it is about 1)feel 2)contact transfer which can cause skids 3) Over all transfer which gets your ferrule, shaft, hands, clothes and table dirty.....

Sounds good to me... Will send you some of the "Great White" in case you do anymore testing just as soon as it is ready......

Chris

GW Label posting.jpg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently performed a set of experiments to objectively compare the following brands of chalk: pre-flag Master, Master, Lava, Blue Diamond, and Kamui.

Four different tests were performed to determine:
a.) the amount of cling/skid/kick caused by a chalk mark on the CB.
b.) the number of sidespin shots possible with a single application of chalk before miscuing.
c.) the miscue limit for maximum sidespin
d.) and how long chalk marks persist on the CB after multiple shots.

The following video shows the tests and summarizes all of the results:

NV F.1 - Pool Chalk Experiment - Does the brand really make a difference?

The short answer to the question "Does the brand really make a difference?" is: No.

For the long answer, see the video.

Here's a summary of the main conclusions:

1.) Chalk marks on the CB cause cling/skid/kick. Kamui resulted in the largest cling/skid/kick.
2.) Maximum sidespin and the miscue limit are the same for all chalks.
3.) Blue Diamond and Kamui persist on the tip longer, so if you don't chalk often or well, they could offer an advantage.
4.) Blue Diamond and Kamui chalk marks stay on the CB longer, possibly resulting in more frequent cling/skid/kick.
5.) Squirt (CB deflection) does not vary with chalk type.

Enjoy,
Dave

Nice work.

Glad to see you have not lost heart following some of the hysteria elsewhere.

Lou Figueroa

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

Hu

Now I smell the goodness right through the interwebz! Let's partner up and open a sushi bar and pool room. We could call it Cue Sports Fusion Cafe. And we could sell franchises right here on AZB's wanted/for sale subforum. Now I can smell bacon AND $!!!!