Changed My Mind (whats left of it)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Changed my mind on getting an 8' or pro 8'. I've played on my friends Diamond Pro AM about 10 hours in the last week or so and it has the 4 1/2" pro cut pockets. At first I was missing a lot of shot because of shooting to hard and not getting the table speed down for a good angle on the next shot. After I slowed down a bit and got pocket speed for his table, I was running some 9-ball racks and starting to feel comfortable on his table.

I have a very straight stroke and know which spin/English to put on ball to help it in pocket.

I'm not saying that I play as well on his Diamond as I do on my 7' Valley but it's not because it's 10" or so longer…it's the pockets. So I can't see spending $1000 or more for another table, Re forcing the floor, and paying for set up and recovering. I'm having my 7' Valley recovered with Tour Edition (already have it) and putting "the Real Cobra's" Ridgeback rails on it.

I believe that if I played on his Pro Am 4 hours or more a day like I play on my Valley that I could get close to as good on it. Now if I could get a 9' to fit I could see the point, but the extra length of the pro 8' is not any problem for me.

So I'll just try to get as good as I can on a BB and if they ever have a decent BB tournament in Florida or a state close by…I'll be there. I'll probably never be able to run wth the big guns on a BB but I have a hunch I'll cash. Johnnyt
 
I think the barbox might be best anyway

Changed my mind on getting an 8' or pro 8'. . . . . So I'll just try to get as good as I can on a BB and if they ever have a decent BB tournament in Florida or a state close by…I'll be there. I'll probably never be able to run wth the big guns on a BB but I have a hunch I'll cash. Johnnyt

Johnny,

I will be building a place for a pool table in the next few years and I'll have the room for any size pool table I want. I'm still thinking about a barbox. The eyes and stroke aren't quite what they once were and it shows on a tight Diamond nine footer.

Once I give a barbox proper respect I can still occasionally walk on water on one. I almost never play them but I think that with many decent sized bar table tournaments around me it makes more sense to get ready for them than to try to take down the big table tournaments. Even when I played snooker hours a day on a table set up for golf I did most of my gambling on bar tables because that was what was in most of the places where the action was. I'd like to have both, a nice nine or ten footer or even a snooker table and a barbox but if I only have one I think it will be a barbox.

I think I'll build with the extra square footage just in case though. Saw a five by ten for $750 recently. That could make a liar out of me as far as what I buy. It would be worth playing like crap to roll the balls around on a five by ten again. I loved those beasts and that extra foot and the deep deep cloth on the ones I played on made a world of difference. You had to think about ball speed and cloth roll, a totally different beast than today's fast cloth where you can almost ignore which way you are shooting. Probably not the best thing for my pool game but I'd have a gaff table to suck in the people doing work for the neighbors! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hu
 
So I'll just try to get as good as I can on a BB and if they ever have a decent BB tournament in Florida or a state close by…I'll be there. I'll probably never be able to run wth the big guns on a BB but I have a hunch I'll cash. Johnnyt

So does this mean your last post about it being your last post about a BB was not true? :)

Brian
 
Yes, sorry...I told an untruth:o. Johnnyt

Johnny,

I don't think you are allowed to change your own mind in these forums. Someone else must do it for you. Besides, you used way too much logic in reaching your decision (another thing that is not allowed). :wink:

Roger
 
Johnny,

I will be building a place for a pool table in the next few years and I'll have the room for any size pool table I want. I'm still thinking about a barbox. The eyes and stroke aren't quite what they once were and it shows on a tight Diamond nine footer.

Once I give a barbox proper respect I can still occasionally walk on water on one. I almost never play them but I think that with many decent sized bar table tournaments around me it makes more sense to get ready for them than to try to take down the big table tournaments. Even when I played snooker hours a day on a table set up for golf I did most of my gambling on bar tables because that was what was in most of the places where the action was. I'd like to have both, a nice nine or ten footer or even a snooker table and a barbox but if I only have one I think it will be a barbox.

I think I'll build with the extra square footage just in case though. Saw a five by ten for $750 recently. That could make a liar out of me as far as what I buy. It would be worth playing like crap to roll the balls around on a five by ten again. I loved those beasts and that extra foot and the deep deep cloth on the ones I played on made a world of difference. You had to think about ball speed and cloth roll, a totally different beast than today's fast cloth where you can almost ignore which way you are shooting. Probably not the best thing for my pool game but I'd have a gaff table to suck in the people doing work for the neighbors! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hu

Hu, if you have room to put any size table then you might want to reconsider and go with the standard 4.5 x 9 table. On this table you can play all games, such as one pocket, straight pool. Making the transition to the bar table at tournaments IMO is not an issue.

As far as the 5 x 10 idea, forget it. No one except maybe you will be comfortable on that dinosaur.
 
Johnny,

I don't think you are allowed to change your own mind in these forums. Someone else must do it for you. Besides, you used way too much logic in reaching your decision (another thing that is not allowed). :wink:

Roger

Haha, good one Roger, you change your mind and you might be stoned to death and I do not mean the smokey way. :grin:
 
In my slightly educated and personal experience, it is easier for me to play on a 9' than a BB due to the larger area to manuver in. That's just me.
 
You are absolutely right!

Hu, if you have room to put any size table then you might want to reconsider and go with the standard 4.5 x 9 table. On this table you can play all games, such as one pocket, straight pool. Making the transition to the bar table at tournaments IMO is not an issue.

As far as the 5 x 10 idea, forget it. No one except maybe you will be comfortable on that dinosaur.

You are right of course but that would be the idea if I put it at my house/shop! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I have always been of two schools of thought. It helps a bunch to practice on tough equipment but only if you also practice on the equipment you compete on too. Even in seven foot tables I like the Diamond much better than the usual barboxes but I do like getting in practice on the same cloth, pockets, and rails I compete on. Playing on a barbox I kick and bank a lot. Being tuned to the exact tables and pockets or at least as closely as possible helps me.

One thing I am going to try is swiping the cue ball off of the bar table to practice on the Diamond nine footer over at Buffalo's. If I like how that works I may consider a bigger table. Still plenty of time to make up my mind. For pure recreation I would like a ten footer, a pool or snooker table either one would be fine.

Hu
 
Back
Top