Chezka Centeno

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/Z2t3RNEp7dc

this video is from almost a year ago, but she whips the ghost 10-0 and doesn't even take ball in hand on 5 of the racks. if a 17 year old can play this well, theres no reason she wouldn't be able to be a top player in the world in a few years. she's fun to watch and i wish her the best of luck in her upcoming events

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently you don't know what you are talking about.

There has only been 474 people to break the 4 minute mile barrier in the U.S. Of those, only 9 were in high school.

Apparently in 2013 there were 1,303

I didn't bother looking for anything recent. As I imagine, 1,303 will suffice as being more than a few

Now if you're saying only a few high schoolers have run a sub-4 minute mile, then you might be right :)

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
:happydance:Congratulations Chezka Centeno, 2016 Chinook Winds Women's Champion!:happydance:​

chezka_chinook.jpg

16 year old, phillipine girl Chezka Centeno now has a FargoRate of 775 with a robustness of 291 racks so far and winner of the 2016 Amway Cup! She is already higher rated than any other female in the world. She is higher rated right now than Corey Duel and Sky Woodward.

It seems to me that her FargoRate would is based on her win/loss record against other female players, so comparing her FargoRate to the male players does not seem fair. It would however seem fair if her FargoRate were based on her win/loss record of open events (that both men and woman were allowed to play in). Am I missing something about the way FargoRate rates players? It is basically based on games won and lost, right? If that is true, then the mens FargoRate ratings can't be compared with the female FargoRate ratings.

Mike, many people on here have no awareness of how good the best women players are these days. IMO there are over a dozen Chinese women plus several more Asian women (like Chezka, Gai Young, Pan) who play as good or better than Karen Corr, who just finished second at Turning Stone. It's not like the old days (even ten years back) when the men and women were a couple of speeds apart. Now, only the very best men players are one speed ahead of the best women. The second echelon men are on equal terms with the best women imo.

I would agree with you that pros like Skylar, Klatt, Dominguez, Earl etc. would have their hands full with the best women. They might win some matches and lose others. They are no lock, that's for sure. Lesser pros would be underdogs against them, names withheld by request. ;)

If this is true, then why are the females still in their own group? Once they get to what FargoRate considers pro level, then why not ban them from entering all female pro tournaments, and see what their true FargoRate is after they have competed in the open pro events for awhile (say at least 6 months for example). That would be interesting I think. I may not fully understand how FargoRate works, but I think I read enough about it to have a good idea about how it works.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, many people on here have no awareness of how good the best women players are these days. IMO there are over a dozen Chinese women plus several more Asian women (like Chezka, Gai Young, Pan) who play as good or better than Karen Corr, who just finished second at Turning Stone. It's not like the old days (even ten years back) when the men and women were a couple of speeds apart. Now, only the very best men players are one speed ahead of the best women. The second echelon men are on equal terms with the best women imo.

I would agree with you that pros like Skylar, Klatt, Dominguez, Earl etc. would have their hands full with the best women. They might win some matches and lose others. They are no lock, that's for sure. Lesser pros would be underdogs against them, names withheld by request. ;)

Jay, I've always valued, and respected your opinion on anything pool related.. But I must question a few points you
bring up here..You have a tendency (as Barton does) to rate the ladies a lot closer to the men, then I think is realistic!..
He is convinced there will soon come a day, when the best pool player in the world, could be a women!..I say, only if
you kill all the men first! ;) There will always be, the Baluka's, the Korr's and the Fishers, who are definitely to be greatly admired!..But there will also always be, the Efren's, the SVB's, the Pagulayan's and the Appleton's..And for my cash, I say,
.."Ne'er the twain shall meet"! :nono:

I agree, that there are more quality women players today, than there were 10-15 yrs. ago..But the same is true of the men..IMO, only the ladies 'numbers' have increased, not their ability to better compete with the men!..The first and second tier of male players numbers have also increased, as has their skill level!.. Barton says I'm 'misogynistic', (like Trump, I've been called worse) but I believe the skill gap is even greater now, in favor of the men!..IOW, I think there are more 2nd tier pros today, who can quite consistently beat all but the very few top ladies I've seen currently! (sorry ladies :sorry:)

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I've always valued, and respected your opinion on anything pool related.. But I must question a few points you
bring up here..You have a tendency (as Barton does) to rate the ladies a lot closer to the men, then I think is realistic!..
....He is convinced there will soon come a day, when the best pool player in the world, will be a women!...I say, only if you kill
all the men first! ;)

I concede that there are more quality women players today, than there were 15 yrs. ago..But the same is true of the men..IMO, only the ladies 'numbers' have increased, not their ability to better compete with the men!..The first and second tier of male players numbers have also increased, as has their skill level!

Barton calls me 'misogynistic' (I've been called worse)..But I believe the skill gap, has widened, not narrowed, in favor of the men!..IOW, there are more men who can beat, or better compete, with the best the ladies can come up with 'today', than there were 10-15 years ago!

There will always be, the Baluka's, the Korr's and the Fishers, and they are to be greatly admired..But there will also always be, the SVB's, the Pagulayan's and the Appleton's..And, for my cash..I say, "Ne'er the twain shall meet"! :nono: (sorry ladies)

I agree to disagree Dick. The top women players today (maybe a couple of dozen) can compete well against anyone! Sure the Alex's and Shane's are the favorites, but let them make a mistake or two and they're going down. I've seen it with my own eyes. These girls can flat play pool! IMO if the top 12-15 women players in the world came over here and played on any of these regional tours (Joss Tour, Mezz Tour). they would win events, lots of them. In fact they might be the favorites!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is convinced there will soon come a day, when the best pool player in the world, could be a women!..I say, only if
you kill all the men first! ;) There will always be, the Baluka's, the Korr's and the Fishers, who are definitely to be greatly admired!..But there will also always be, the Efren's, the SVB's, the Pagulayan's and the Appleton's..And for my cash, I say,
.."Ne'er the twain shall meet"! :nono:

I agree, that there are more quality women players today, than there were 10-15 yrs. ago..But the same is true of the men..IMO, only the ladies 'numbers' have increased, not their ability to better compete with the men!..The first and second tier of male players numbers have also increased, as has their skill level!.. Barton says I'm 'misogynistic', (like Trump, I've been called worse) but I believe the skill gap has is greater now, in favor of the men!..I believe there are more 2nd tier pros today, who can beat, or at least hold their own, with all but the very few top ladies I've seen currently! (sorry ladies :sorry:)

Have you seen Centeno play pool? No doubt she can hold her own against anyone in the world.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that her FargoRate would is based on her win/loss record against other female players, so comparing her FargoRate to the male players does not seem fair. It would however seem fair if her FargoRate were based on her win/loss record of open events (that both men and woman were allowed to play in). Am I missing something about the way FargoRate rates players? It is basically based on games won and lost, right? If that is true, then the mens FargoRate ratings can't be compared with the female FargoRate ratings.

Yes, you are definitely missing something about the way FargoRate works. The test in this video addressed exactly your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9LH2haGZ0&feature=youtu.be

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I agree to disagree Dick. The top women players today (maybe a couple of dozen) can compete well against anyone! Sure the Alex's and Shane's are the favorites, but let them make a mistake or two and they're going down. I've seen it with my own eyes. These girls can flat play pool! IMO if the top 12-15 women players in the world came over here and played on any of these regional tours (Joss Tour, Mezz Tour). they would win events, lots of them. In fact they might be the favorites!

A few of us say that the top women (maybe a few dozen) every time a girl/woman like Chezka comes along can play and compete with the men. The reason we never see it happen, only a few give playing the men a shot. I don't blame them for taking the easier money...playing with other women. If the top few played with the men all the time, we would see some women in the top ten purse standings in a few short years. Johnnyt

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Times Change

A few of us say that the top women (maybe a few dozen) every time a girl/woman like Chezka comes along can play and compete with the men. The reason we never see it happen, only a few give playing the men a shot. I don't blame them for taking the easier money...playing with other women. If the top few played with the men all the time, we would see some women in the top ten purse standings in a few short years. Johnnyt

I havent read the whole thread but Ive seen it posted that once upon a time that the men sort of kicked the women to the curb and that might have been the thing to do at the time skill wise but I think that is going to and should change. Seeing someone play like this new lady Chezka does has to reinvigorate the sport.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I havent read the whole thread but Ive seen it posted that once upon a time that the men sort of kicked the women to the curb and that might have been the thing to do at the time skill wise but I think that is going to and should change. Seeing someone play like this new lady Chezka does has to reinvigorate the sport.

The reason they were kicked to the curb was because (one player) Jean Balukas beat 6 TOP men in a tournament and the men cried foul. Johnnyt

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just so we're clear on the verbage Jay..I assume we are talking about 8, 9, or 10 ball, on a 4.5 x 9 table, (or at worst, (ugh) a tight bar box)..I think we both know how an extended cash match, not a short tournament race, with someone like Alex or SVB would go, against virtually any female in the world!

When I say "2nd tier pro", I am referring to guys just below their level, like Oscar D, Frost, Schmidt, and many others their speed!..I think you would be hard pressed, to find even half a dozen females from anywhere, who be successful against them, in anything but short tournament races!

Yes, they may win their share of 'short race Mezz type events'..Providing they get a decent draw, and none of the "Big Boys" are entered!..Its too bad the logistics (sponsorship, visas and such) are so tough for them! ..I would enjoy seeing more of them be able to play in some of the bigger open tournaments..That new little gal, Centeno, is certainly very impressive..

Anyway, its all subjective..Its too bad the prize money is so slim, in most all but the bigger opens!..But if it were better, than the ladies would not only be up against Alex and SVB, they would also be competing with the Europe guys too!..And theres a ton of 1st and 2nd tier men over there! :eek:

PS..Its too bad there are so few women who play one pocket..That seems to be where most of the the good, high $$$ action is these days...But, with the slow learning curve involved in 1P, they'd all be old and grey, before they caught up! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Funny

The reason they were kicked to the curb was because (one player) Jean Balukas beat 6 TOP men in a tournament and the men cried foul. Johnnyt

I guess that funny, or just a testament to the crybaby syndrome.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Easy now Johnny..As good as she was, Jean could not compete with the better players of her era!..Lassiter, Balsis, Crane, and many others, were well beyond her level!..She was a bit of a curiosity, because she was probably the first female, who played high shortstop speed!..I doubt if she could have beaten Jasmine Oushan, on her best day..(definitely not Corr) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Easy now Johnny..As good as she was, Jean could not compete with the better players of her era!..Lassiter, Balsis, Crane, and many others, were well beyond her level!..She was a bit of a curiosity, because she was probably the first female, who played high shortstop speed!..I doubt if she could have beaten Jasmine Oushan, on her best day..(definitely not Allison) :rolleyes:

She did beat Keith and Buddy in the same tournament.

BTW, fyi only, Centeno is pronounced as SEN TE NYO. The N is supposed to have a tildi . The English alphabet does not have it.
A good percentage of Filipinos have Spanish names.

Last edited:

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:) What is next tournament for Chezka? In her facebook account, I read that she will be here in the US for the next 3 months. What are the tournaments lined up for her? Is she going to the west coast to compete in the men's tours?

Also, what was the final score in the finals and who did she play against? I was not home yesterday and missed it. During her trip to the hotseat, she won over her opponents either 5-0 and 5-1 in an alternate break format.

A couple of reasons why she is this good at her age are because based on the comments and videos I have seen on youtube, she competes (gambles?) regularly with some great players like Efren Reyes, Dennis Orcullo, Jeff Ignacio, Johann Chua, Jeff de Luna, etc. I have also seen a video of Orcullo giving her some tips. With some excellent tutors and mentors, no wonder she plays like a man. Is it safe to say that she is now the best female player in the Philippines and now better than Rubilen Amit?

It will surely be a fun and entertaining next 3 months watching her. She might not go far in the US Open but with luck on the draw and with the short races, it is possible she might take a couple of scalps while she is there. With her fast and accurate play, she reminds me a lot of Alex Pagulayan and Johann Chua, 2 of my favorite players. The Philippines has a track record of sending excellent players here in the US like Marlon Manalo, Carlo Biado, Jeff Ignacio. Just never thought that the "new kid on the block" will be a girl and a very young one at that.

I have seen an interview after her winning the Amway Cup that she appears very shy and can barely talk in English and even needed Amit to be her interpreter. Well, her shyness eventually disappears once she is on the table and she just lets her cue stick do the talking. Once she gains more confidence and polishes up on her safety skills, watch out. From what I have seen so far, she can certainly give a lot of players (male and female) a run for their money.

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:) What is next tournament for Chezka? In her facebook account, I read that she will be here in the US for the next 3 months. What are the tournaments lined up for her? Is she going to the west coast to compete in the men's

US Open in Va

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk