China Open payouts

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane got paid in full...albeit a little late.
Shane and Barry were on good terms after...

View attachment 466717

I was TD or Co-TD for about a dozen years there and Barry typically fell short on making payments to the top finishers each year. If you finished in the top three or four you would then have to negotiate a payment schedule with Barry. If you were lucky, you might be paid in full within three months, but being paid a monthly allotment for as long as six to nine months was not unusual for the winner.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
And........

The WPA is totally ineffective about making sure that "Guaranteed" prize money is real or that players will in fact be paid in a timely manner (if at all)! They are good about getting their "sanction fee" up front though! Beware of the upcoming World Ten Ball in Manila! A disaster waiting to happen and only silence from the WPA. Are you beginning to get the picture?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding this upcoming WPA sanctioned event in China, when was this changed from being the highly touted :rolleyes: new WPA World 8 Ball Championships to now being the "Jinan Heritage Classic"? :confused:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And........

China is still communist and the last time I checked any major enterprise didn't exist without a commissar attached. The government of Jinan is just a spin off of the government in Beijing and the government in Beijing could get the players paid if they wanted to.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA is totally ineffective about making sure that "Guaranteed" prize money is real or that players will in fact be paid in a timely manner (if at all)! They are good about getting their "sanction fee" up front though! Beware of the upcoming World Ten Ball in Manila! A disaster waiting to happen and only silence from the WPA. Are you beginning to get the picture?

#1 is taken care of, fuk'yall?

Am i close, jay?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has just posted on FB that he, Billy and Sky are all skipping the China event due to these issues.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Shane, Thorpe, and sky's boycott was a good thing until I learned that these aren't the same promoters. Just because it is the same country doesn't mean the same thing will happen

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol exactly Jay.. They take there 5 percent from each player from the Mosconi Cup. $1,000 per player from the winning team & $500 per player from losing team. So they get $7,500 for doing nothing.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Shane, Thorpe, and sky's boycott was a good thing until I learned that these aren't the same promoters. Just because it is the same country doesn't mean the same thing will happen

That was my initial thought too. But I have since changed my mind because it's the WPA who sanctioned the event and who is responsible for making sure they get paid. Boycotting the WPA makes sense in that context. If top players won't show up to WPA events then the promoters will put pressure on them or stop,sanctioning their events through the,.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol exactly Jay.. They take there 5 percent from each player from the Mosconi Cup. $1,000 per player from the winning team & $500 per player from losing team. So they get $7,500 for doing nothing.

Well they did "reserve" the dates on their calendar :rotflmao:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane just posted the following from Ian Anderson of the WPA:

Dear All

I am still awaiting confirmation from phone conversations today about the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball event scheduled for Jinan next month. The news I’m awaiting is most likely not going to be good. They did say the event is not cancelled, but wouldn’t confirm if it would go ahead either. If the event is cancelled, we will be seeking compensation, but that’s no guarantee either. Please advise your players of the situation and warn them not to buy any tickets if they haven’t already done so. I will update you immediately something is received.

Thank you - Ian Anderson

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane just posted the following from Ian Anderson of the WPA:

Dear All

I am still awaiting confirmation from phone conversations today about the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball event scheduled for Jinan next month. The news I’m awaiting is most likely not going to be good. They did say the event is not cancelled, but wouldn’t confirm if it would go ahead either. If the event is cancelled, we will be seeking compensation, but that’s no guarantee either. Please advise your players of the situation and warn them not to buy any tickets if they haven’t already done so. I will update you immediately something is received.

Thank you - Ian Anderson

They can't even get a confirmation more than a month out, pathetic.

So this went from being a WPA World 8 Ball Championships in Toronto that was set aside in 2016 to support this new event in China (as the 2017 World 8 Ball Championships), to being quietly renamed & downgraded to the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball which isn't even confirmed a month out.

WTF does the WPA do for their cut of the pie?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA world 8 ball championship in Toronto would have gone away also, even if the Chinese never wanted the event.

They used the same money to do a brand new multi-stop tour. That tour was cancelled before the first event. The cash was never there.

This is all the more reason the WPA needs to COLLECT ALL THE CASH 3 months before an event. If a promoter is living event to event, and can't front the money himself, then he should not be a promoter!!!!!

Get that through everyone's head.