Combination shots

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I use ghost ball twice, but rarely succeed, unless I am close to the pocket.
Any error is magnified with combo shots.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
when its not a straight combo
i use the second ball and pretend where do i need to shoot it to make the first ball
once i have my line of the second ball to the first ball to make it
i extend that line to the rail and find a diamond point to aim at
i then pretend im shooting the second ball to my "spot" on the rail
and shoot it

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Combinations are hard for all of us, but I can offer some advise on a little nuance that can easily be overlooked.

Lots of players like to use a touch of outside.english to throw shots into pockets. When shooting a combination shot, if you use that touch of english to throw the first ball into the contact point of the second ball, even with deadly accuracy, you will most likely miss the shot.

The reason is that you impart side spin to the first ball in addition to hitting it perfectly. That side spin transfers to the OB which in turn throws it covertly off line.

So my cardinal rule for combination shots is no side spin on the CB. Any exception to this must be well considered ahead of time.

More combination shots are missed by a mile because of this leaving the shooter scratching their heads. So be aware.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
i use the second ball and pretend where do i need to shoot it to make the first ball
and shoot it

No one ever taught me, FWIW, so there's surely more advice that might work for others. But this is exactly what I do also bbb. Keeps it super simple. Sometimes I'll even pick a spot, like a beer bottle :) off in the distance, to super fine point my contact point.

And use center CB hit unless it's super easy to combo and/or I really need to manipulate the CB.

BUT... And this extra point is one where I see darn good players often blow. Assuming it's a rotation game and you need to get position on that OB again, know your tangent lines. It's not as hard as you might think to predict how the table will lay afterwards.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More than any other shot, it is imperative to shoot combinations with pocket speed.

As mentioned above, using ghost ball of course, but maximize your chance of making the ball by using pocket speed.

I see so many folks for some reason, shoot combinations HARDER than they would a normal shot. :rolleyes: They rattle them leaving the object ball in pocket jaws.

JMO

Ken

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
and shoot it

This is not bad advise at all. Cueing center ball on the CB may be a good idea also.

dwalding

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Low, center or high, 90% of the time. This at least elimates left and right english and the impact of spin. Aim the first ball to the contact point on the second ball, and ignore the pocket. The contact point on the second ball becomes the pocket for mental focus purposes. Then always shoot every ball you shoot into a contact point of the pocket, not just the pocket. The more you hit every shot to an exact line, the easier it becomes to make a combo in general. If you only aim to pocket a ball, your not aiming to the left side of the pocket, the right or the middle. So, the exactness you practice on every shot, becomes the discipine needed to make combo's easy.

Once you have this down, practice low right, low left, high left, and high right when the shot dictates it. Now you are making every combo with shape.

Regards,

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Most people don't take enough time to study combos before getting down to shoot them. Offset combos are hard for just about everybody. Johnnyt

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Exactly...just pretend that the first ball you hit is the cue ball. Where would you stroke that pretend cue ball with center hit in order to pocket the object ball? That's my aiming point...

Probably doing it all wrong because I figured it out myself...