Commentary at the 2013 14.1 World Championship

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to hear what the opinion of other straight pool fans is regarding the shot by shot commentary during the streamed matches at this year's world championship.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Til now from what i saw live it was fantastic. Additional all guest commentators had been great and entertaining. Especially eckert is always brilliant in commentating:
Knowledged
Entertaining
Seriously

Not to forget steve kurtz eho really impressed me. Really good job for a non-pro!!!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Ratta's comment about Eckert. And I also enjoyed hearing Alvin's other pro guests on Thursday -- Appleton (particularly), Immonen, and Hatch. But more generally, when it comes to commentators, I'll repeat something I have posted in the past:

My guess is that the people who watch pool streams and recorded matches are, for the most part, fairly knowledgeable pool fans. We DO NOT need the commentators to give their prognostication of what the shooter is going to do on every single shot, no matter how simple or routine.

The commentators seem to feel they must fill the entire time period with constant chatter. Every time I hear one particular guy (he's not at the current event) he is the epitome of trite verbosity. And many others are nearly as bad. PLEASE -- STOP IT! Give us some credit for knowing what is going on.

Speak (1) when you have something that really adds to our knowledge of the game situation at hand, or (2) when you have other tidbits of information about the players, the match, or the event, or (3) when you have interesting, related side stories. But just blabbering on and on with remarks that are banal or relate to straightforward game situations is annoying and even insulting to the viewers.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if the commentators bothered to do a little background work before commentating. Attend the players' meeting and learn what rules are in effect. Gather some background information on the players being streamed.

Caveat -- I know, it's not an easy job. Conditions can be poor, the hours can be long, the pay is poor or non-existent. We're lucky to have anyone, right? And, no, I probably couldn't do it any better (and wouldn't want to try).

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I think it's been really good thus far. I think 14.1 is the one pool discipline (along with 8 ball) where the commentary can really add a lot. There are so many shot choices and unique situations I like hearing the thoughts of people with a lot more straight pool knowledge than me. Also, I don't mind them prognosticating over pattern selection because I think that is what makes it fun. I know that I do that in my own head when I'm watching a match in person. I think for a free stream it has been outstanding.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the emperor has no clothes

Hi,
I'm extremely grateful for the stream. It's a huge effort to pull this off. The quality of the stream seems very good. However, in my opinion, the current host should not be at the microphone.
Having a professional caliber announcer and a knowledgeable color commentator would be a huge improvement, an instant and significant elevation of the package.
I was unaware of the the guest commentators, as I turn the sound off. I'm disappointed that I missed them, particularly Ralph Eckert. I'll turn up the sound occasionally... and hope.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
danny d would have been nice but i have no complaints whatsoever. the stream is hd and it is free, couldn't ask for more. thanks to inside pool and all the sponsors. look forward to another day of fine 14.1 ! :woot:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Til now from what i saw live it was fantastic. Additional all guest commentators had been great and entertaining. Especially eckert is always brilliant in commentating:
Knowledged
Entertaining
Seriously

Not to forget steve kurtz eho really impressed me. Really good job for a non-pro!!!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

I agree with Ratta. There has been some low spots, specially when a commentator gets side tracked to another subject but over all, I feel they have done a great job, as good as a Pro can do it. Most of these matches have Pro guest speakers which does help to get a inside view to what a Pro thinks. The match between Bustamente & Deuel was really done well. Steve K. with Pro Ralph E. were very interesting to listen too, With Ralph giving his points of view during the match. One does not have to be a Pro to do a great job commentating as long as they have the knowledge of the game being played. (Remember....There are many baseball & football commentators that have never played the sport).

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Ralf Eckert was great. Alvin should really try to get him in the booth today if possible. I also thought Steve Kurtz did a good job.

Hopefully Danny Barouty keeps playing well and stays in, but if not, he's great when commentating (both with insight and wit).

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I really enjoyed Ralph Eckert. Mike Fingers also. I had my hands on my car keys a half dozen times to drive down as I'm only about 75 miles away. The parking in Queens scared me. With a bad ticker, I was worried. I'd have bought em all a drink or two for the great job they are doing. Very grateful for the stream.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed Ralph Eckert. Mike Fingers also. I had my hands on my car keys a half dozen times to drive down as I'm only about 75 miles away. The parking in Queens scared me. With a bad ticker, I was worried. I'd have bought em all a drink or two for the great job they are doing. Very grateful for the stream.

Yup. The two matches so far today have been good listens and well as good looks (except for Eberle's pace, of course).:)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Steinway has an agreement allowing their patrons to park at across the street at PC Richards. So, please don't let parking discourage from coming down to Steinway Billiards to watch this gathering of professionals.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Steinway has an agreement allowing their patrons to park at across the street at PC Richards. So, please don't let parking discourage from coming down to Steinway Billiards to watch this gathering of professionals.

But I kept hearing announcements on the stream to get your cars out of pc richards.

Also when I called steinway and asked about parking, I was told street parking only. So, I chickened out. :)

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to hear what the opinion of other straight pool fans is regarding the shot by shot commentary during the streamed matches at this year's world championship.

Mike Fingers 5 * * * * * I was watching the Earl Strickland match the other day
Don't remember who he was playing and to be honest with you the reason I remember
The match was the announcing not the playing
Mike is very funny and very knowledgeable and has the ability to keep you interested and entertained in what you are watching example....
Someone missed a shot and Mikes commentary " take away his tie and belt"
Funny on a deep level.
to all the announcers keep up the great work and thanks to inside pool for the stream.
MCP

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I've not heard much of the commentary since I am at the event now. I did hear some of it on Monday and Tuesday and thought it was fine. Our own Steve Kurtz is doing a great job and has a nice low key approach that I like. His pattern predictions are usually spot on and that is certainly much better than some who have been used in the past.

One of the keyboard critics thinks that the commentators should not be talking about the patterns, because to him, they are obvious. I wonder how he likes all of the Accu-stats matches we have grown up with, because that is what the best of them do and that is what helps educate new players on how to play the game.

There was a criticism that the commentators should go to the players meeting and do some studying up before they take the mike. These are usually reluctant fans that Alvin is drafting from the spectator pool. None of them were here for the players meeting. They are not players. I appreciate the job they are doing and thank them for doing what they are doing.

By the way, Eckert is very good. Not only does he know the game well, he is also a very good entertainer. He stole the show at the Hall of Fame dinner and had the audience in stitches. Since he is staying around for the 10 ball tournament, they will of course, try to get him in there again today. Last night he sat at our table where he could relax, get something to eat and enjoy the matches between Immonen/Appleton and Schmidt/Hatch a few feet away. I suspect they will get him for at least one of the matches today, so that will be something for you to look forward to.

Last edited:

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Ratta's comment about Eckert. And I also enjoyed hearing Alvin's other pro guests on Thursday -- Appleton (particularly), Immonen, and Hatch. But more generally, when it comes to commentators, I'll repeat something I have posted in the past:

My guess is that the people who watch pool streams and recorded matches are, for the most part, fairly knowledgeable pool fans. We DO NOT need the commentators to give their prognostication of what the shooter is going to do on every single shot, no matter how simple or routine.

The commentators seem to feel they must fill the entire time period with constant chatter. Every time I hear one particular guy (he's not at the current event) he is the epitome of trite verbosity. And many others are nearly as bad. PLEASE -- STOP IT! Give us some credit for knowing what is going on.

Speak (1) when you have something that really adds to our knowledge of the game situation at hand, or (2) when you have other tidbits of information about the players, the match, or the event, or (3) when you have interesting, related side stories. But just blabbering on and on with remarks that are banal or relate to straightforward game situations is annoying and even insulting to the viewers.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if the commentators bothered to do a little background work before commentating. Attend the players' meeting and learn what rules are in effect. Gather some background information on the players being streamed.

Caveat -- I know, it's not an easy job. Conditions can be poor, the hours can be long, the pay is poor or non-existent. We're lucky to have anyone, right? And, no, I probably couldn't do it any better (and wouldn't want to try).
Disagree completely and I think the commentators explaining the shot selection has been very informative... As a non player of the game..

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 commentary

Generally excellent, especially Eckert. But I'm with AtLarge: ball-by-ball coverage is simply not necessary. Pool cannot be reported that way in writing, and it shouldn't be in broadcast either.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... One of the keyboard critics thinks that the commentators should not be talking about the patterns, because to him, they are obvious. I wonder how he likes all of the Accu-stats matches we have grown up with, because that is what the best of them do and that is what helps educate new players on how to play the game.

There was a criticism that the commentators should go to the players meeting and do some studying up before they take the mike. These are usually reluctant fans that Alvin is drafting from the spectator pool. None of them were here for the players meeting. They are not players. I appreciate the job they are doing and thank them for doing what they are doing. ...

You're referring to my post #3 in this thread. What I should have explained a bit more is that I was repeating something I wrote in the past as it relates to rotation-game commenting. Since I believe much of it still applies to 14.1, I pasted it in here again.

I did not say they "should not be talking about the patterns." What I said was: "We DO NOT need the commentators to give their prognostication of what the shooter is going to do on every single shot, no matter how simple or routine." Those two things are different. And, yes, I like and have learned from the Accu-Stats matches, but feel some of my comments also apply to those you call "the best of them."

My comment about preparation by the commentators may not apply so much to this event for the reasons you mentioned, but it is highly appropriate for many streams.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Generally excellent, especially Eckert. But I'm with AtLarge: ball-by-ball coverage is simply not necessary. Pool cannot be reported that way in writing, and it shouldn't be in broadcast either.

I would be nice to hear you on the mic again, George. I hope you are well.