Conditions to participate in the upcoming U.S. Open

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin posted this in the US Open thread two months ago:

Has anybody noticed that the US Open 10 ball and US Open 8 ball have been scheduled for September 12-18. Obviously we will reschedule, but we were planning on having many players in Vegas following the CSI pro events. I have often scheduled events around other events. I find it disheartening that MatchRoom didn’t even bother to notify us. I believe Barry Hearn (at his hall of fame induction) stated the industry needs to work together. The only losers in all of this is the pool players.

• Wow
Reactions: JAM

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think everyone should just sign up as Cesar Morales :)
"In this afternoon's action, Cesar Morales defeated Cesar Morales, 11-7. Russia's Cesar Morales cruised past Cesar Morales of Kentucky, 11-3. Also, five-time U.S. Open champion Cesar Morales squeaked by Scotland's Cesar Morales, 11-9. This evening's matches kick off at 7 p.m. when reigning Mosconi Cup Most Valuable Player Cesar Morales takes on Germany's Cesar Morales."

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players sure are having to give up some basic freedoms to be able to play in the British companies US Open. (Joke. Kinda)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only beef I have with Barry is he turned all the snooker players into robots. If they show any emotion or personality they pay- look at what Ronnie has to say about that. Not me.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin posted this in the US Open thread two months ago:
This is where an entity like the WPA or Matchroom, for that matter, whoever, needs to take the reins and direct pool in the right direction. Billiard Congress of America is supposed to be handling this for North America, but they are only an industry member organization today. The should change their name and let somebody else handle being the "governing body of professional pool." I am so disappointed in them.

There is a World Snooker Organization, and pool needs a uniting force and not like boxing where there's different belts to be won. We need one uniting force to handle logistics and rules and scheduling of events.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Contracts don't automatically enforce. It would be up to Matchroom to go to court to get an injunction to prevent players from participating in other "open" events or to seek money damages for the player's breach. But as you noted, courts take a dim view of these clauaes and they must be precisely tailored to be enforceable. Many states (California) probhit agreements like this. I would be surprised if this clause passes muster anywhere.

Most likely Matchroom included this clause as a way to bar undesirable players from future events. This was the tact that Brunswick took with Greenleaf, leading to Ralph suing after Brunswick didn't let him play in the world championship.

Technically it was the BAA (precursor to the BCA). That barred him. But Brunswick’s basic monopoly and basically full controll of the BAA, were easily seen as possible retaliation for his going on a tour for another company and not using their equipment.

He wasn’t the only one who got banned Johnny Layton, George Kelly, Andrew St. Jean were also.

At the end of the day besides never being sober his tantrums and tirades at spectators and players were no diff than what Mosconi was known to do.

They were trying to get rid of the old guard….Greenleafs fame helped a lot in that suit, the rest had no chance to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It says "style" not "name"

This is a draconian restriction.

You want to play a double-elimination tournament? Hmm, not if it is a rotation game.
That and the poor grammar caught my attention. What does "US Open style" mean? Any 9 ball event with a large field in the USA? 14.1 "US Open"?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is where an entity like the WPA or Matchroom, for that matter, whoever, needs to take the reins and direct pool in the right direction. Billiard Congress of America is supposed to be handling this for North America, but they are only an industry member organization today. The should change their name and let somebody else handle being the "governing body of professional pool." I am so disappointed in them.

There is a World Snooker Organization, and pool needs a uniting force and not like boxing where there's different belts to be won. We need one uniting force to handle logistics and rules and scheduling of events.
Taking the reins is one thing, wrapping them around the player's necks is another. Pool most definitely needs direction but not dictatorial leaders.

Goldy

Beating The Internet
Silver Member
You cannot patent or trademark the words or acronyms in the phrase "U.S. OPEN" However, what is trademarked is "U.S. 9-BALL OPEN", which was sold to Matchroom Pool in 2019.

Matchroom Pool has the perfect momentum to successfully square up the United States Billiards 50 year plague. They have 1 missing element. And that is 20 million dollars to invest. The problem resides in the promise and the carrot dangling our players cannot resist, shy of a loaded gun to their heads. We have a governing body in the United States, named the Billiard Congress of America. I think they should release a statement.

Goldy.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot patent or trademark the words or acronyms in the phrase "U.S. OPEN" However, what is trademarked is "U.S. 9-BALL OPEN", which was sold to Matchroom Pool in 2019.

Matchroom Pool has the perfect momentum to successfully square up the United States Billiards 50 year plague. They have 1 missing element. And that is 20 million dollars to invest. The problem resides in the promise and the carrot dangling our players cannot resist, shy of a loaded gun to their heads. We have a governing body in the United States, named the Billiard Congress of America. I think they should release a statement.

Goldy.
They have the $20M. Question is it worth it?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree but it would have to be someone uniquely honest. Matchroom's "World pool championship" used weird experimental balls because some sponsor paid them to use those balls. What you might get is one guy creating rules based upon his own bank account.

Regarding snooker a high level player was caught discussing throwing matches and he still is on tour the last time I checked.

I nominate JAM to be pool czar. I have more faith in you than a lot of the current crew.

• Haha
Reactions: JAM

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contracts don't automatically enforce. It would be up to Matchroom to go to court to get an injunction to prevent players from participating in other "open" events or to seek money damages for the player's breach. But as you noted, courts take a dim view of these clauaes and they must be precisely tailored to be enforceable. Many states (California) probhit agreements like this. I would be surprised if this clause passes muster anywhere.

Most likely Matchroom included this clause as a way to bar undesirable players from future events. This was the tact that Brunswick took with Greenleaf, leading to Ralph suing after Brunswick didn't let him play in the world championship.
They could enforce by simply denying registration to future Matchroom events. That could be pretty effective. Individual players would lack the resources to fight it legally. And, it's unlikely pool players would organize and resist. It wouldn't matter if the clause is legally unenforceable if it has the desired practical effect.

Last edited:

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good way to make players boycott the U.S. Open
Not likely. I think it is an attempt to weaken the other "U.S. Open" events. They already created scheduling conflicts with those events. They may be trying to weaken those events through methods like these in order to put them under or gain negotiating leverage to buy them out. Ultimately giving Matchroom total control of the "U.S. Open" label for pool events.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool world is no different than the off-roading world (land management to be more specific), there are a bunch of people with different ideals what of what the off-road world should be and nobody can get along and agree on how to take the sport to the next level. Meanwhile, there are groups like The Sierra club who come in and pick off pieces of land while the community is arguing.

Luckily, the pool community doesn't have anyone trying to take things but, the general population has an overall bad taste in their mouth about billiards and a company like Matchroom has the knowledge, skills, foresight, and most importantly - the ability - to take billiards to the next stage and make it more mainstream.

Although I don't know what their end goal is, it's clear they are trying to get a more unified front when it comes to professional billiards, of course that might take a while, and I'll be interested to see where it goes. All that being said, I agree with the others, if you're not paying me then don't limit me on how I can make money.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking the reins is one thing, wrapping them around the player's necks is another. Pool most definitely needs direction but not dictatorial leaders.
I agree with your comments. I felt the same way about some of Matchroom's earlier moves restricting and controlling players.

However, in this case it's possible they don't care so much about controlling the players as using them as leverage. This could be part of a strategy to get total control of the U.S. Open brand for pool events. Make players fearful of playing in these events to reduce participation. Weaken competing "U.S. Open" branded tournaments. Force a buyout. Keep want you want and shut down the rest. Or shut them all down and just keep the "U.S. Open Pool Championship." Put them under if they won't sell.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It may also be relevant that CSI, who owns a series of “US Open” events including 10-ball, 8-ball, one pocket, straight pool, and banks, also just started their new US Pro pool series that Matchroom may see as competing with their events.