Copyright Schmopyright... at what shaggin point?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
So I want to get a copy of "Winning One Pocket" and "Shots, Moves & Strategies" (the two volume set) by famed author and wizard compiler Eddie Robin. I have money, I want to spend it. But I will not be the fool that pays 200.00 to 600.00 for either or both of these books. I don't care if they resurrect Cornbread Red to hand deliver the damn thing to me.

At what point is it reasonably acceptable, for the sake of scholarly study, to just go ahead and outright pirate yourself a copy of these books by any means necessary? I have morals and scruples and a conscience, but none of those parts of me is bothered in the least when I am faced with absolutely no other option. Its kind of like after a major natural disaster and your family is starving to death with no relief in sight.... the local grocery store is gonna be light a few canned goods until I get some steady help out this M'er F'er.

So what.... what are your feelings on the matter?

Regards,

Lesh

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
So I want to get a copy of "Winning One Pocket" and "Shots, Moves & Strategies" (the two volume set) by famed author and wizard compiler Eddie Robin. I have money, I want to spend it. But I will not be the fool that pays 200.00 to 600.00 for either or both of these books. I don't care if they resurrect Cornbread Red to hand deliver the damn thing to me.

At what point is it reasonably acceptable, for the sake of scholarly study, to just go ahead and outright pirate yourself a copy of these books by any means necessary? I have morals and scruples and a conscience, but none of those parts of me is bothered in the least when I am faced with absolutely no other option. Its kind of like after a major natural disaster and your family is starving to death with no relief in sight.... the local grocery store is gonna be light a few canned goods until I get some steady help out this M'er F'er.

Regards,

Lesh

No offense inten..... No actually lots of offense intended..... Those books are rare and they have a pricetag accordingly... based on your total works on AZ I have no doubt that you will make copies... I hope I am wrong but that's not the way I am betting....

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
No offense inten..... No actually lots of offense intended..... Those books are rare and they have a pricetag accordingly... based on your total works on AZ I have no doubt that you will make copies... I hope I am wrong but that's not the way I am betting....

A price tag accordingly.

I am in no way going to sell copies of these books. I would just like to read the dang things and study them to improve my game if at all possible. $450.00 for a book that was published in 1996 is absolutely stupid by any yard stick. I cant make copies of them because no one has a copy of them around here, so that solves that moral / legal dilemma. I am just aghast at the prospect of such an acclaimed resource being denied the public and the scarce few tomes allowed into circulation closeted away.... from me (mainly).

Tell me my intent will hurt the author or publisher of these books in any way and I will apologize. The only way this hurts anyone is the sheisting hack of a book scalper that I would have to pay an incredible amount of cash to in order to get a legal published copy from. So they can take a whizz in the breeze, I'm not feeding them.

Lovingly,

Lesh

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Well these books hold their value. So buy one of the books, read it, and then sell it. Then, buy the other book and do the same thing.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Never never never never ever...

Kay, never mind.
I guess the poor stay poor and the rich get richer.

I guess I will just write my own book and publish copies for my friends.

Smoldering with poor man's rage,

Lesh

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
buy them. read them. resell them.

Will never ever happen. I am adding it to my will that none of my relatives benefiting from my estate after my death will be allowed to purchase a copy of those books from anyone but the publisher.

Never will I purchase these books for more than what the publisher sold them for. Tell ya what, I will buy someones copy on an Irish contract for $650.00 right now. A dollar a year for 650 years. Done and done.

:::::runs outside to bite a tree::::

Lesh

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you feel the book isn't worth the price of admission, then don't read it. Trying to get ahold of it via illegitimate means for the purpose of "scholarly study" seems to be just a way of justifying theft, and it's trying to have it both ways. Aren't most pool books intended for "scholarly study"? Still need to pay to go to pool school; it's not an entitlement.

I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing or chiding. Most people, including me, are guilty of making excuses for bad behavior; actually none of us are above it. I only voiced the feedback since you asked :)

A suggestion... It was the case that Eddie Robin said he was intending to try to get Shots, Moves, and Strategies published again some day. He doesn't like the large price tag on his book and wants to make it available to the masses again when he can put the $ together for a printing run. But in the meanwhile, you may have luck tracking him down to see if he'll sell you an old stock copy (Shots, Moves... not sure if he has any of Winning One Pocket). He was periodically selling them at a more reasonable price on Ebay. And going this route, if it works out, puts the money right into the authors pocket.

Good luck.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Thanks ABS

I know its wrong to steal, but I do not like being denied via exclusivity. It really forces my hand to be creative, and so I am going to be creative. I'm just going to milk the people I know for all the knowledge I can get from them and make a One Pocket book of my own. This little quirk of monied, fortunate, well-heeled denial has inspired me.

I appreciate your input and I am pleased to learn that Mr. Robins is still with us. I hope he does get the opportunity to publish it again. I've already set my Amazon Alert. I will never ever EVER buy any book from anyone but the publisher... kind of a sore spot of mine. I've seen a ton of authors get nothing for hard awesome work while scalping hack distributors get paid.

I hope it gets published again (like say, through Amazon for a negligible amount of money) so that we may all enjoy these books and hear the collective groan of greed from those selling these books at the prices they are.

Lesh

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I found a blog where some posters say the books are over-priced, even at $100.
I have never seen them, so I am not making that claim. Just sayin'.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Re copyrights, not reselling illegal copies does not avoid the legal problem.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,

Lesh

The perfect solution for YOU - and those like you.

Sometime near the first of a month, go to the parking lot of your nearest WalMart.

Locate a little old lady who has recently cashed her Social Security check and is
planning to purchase groceries.

Beat her up and steal her money - then use it to buy the books you want.

Dale(constructive Social Critic)

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
It's extremely easy to buy the books, read them, and resell them, possibly even at a profit.

Since you are resisting that perfectly adequate suggestion, what is the point of this thread? A rant against capitalism? LOL...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Regards,

Lesh
Maybe you could ask a local player who owns the books if he is willing to let you look at the books once in a while.

Freddie

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a blog where some posters say the books are over-priced, even at $100.
I have never seen them, so I am not making that claim. Just sayin'.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Re copyrights, not reselling illegal copies does not avoid the legal problem.

I think calling them overpriced @100 is laughable.

There are no guaranteed shortcuts to excellence that can't be found elsewhere, and one still has to apply the shots correctly, adapting them to a given situation.

Also, many of the shots have been learned/ implemented by players through the years, so lots are common knowledge.

To the last point, I'd note the shot after the break where the breaker scratches. With bih, shoot cb into a ball on opponents side rail, sendin it into the side of another ball. Cb stops and the 2 obs travel at speed to your side, clearing out his side and moving a mess o shit to your side. As you develop comfort wit the shot, you can the start to move cb after impact, sticking it on an unmoved ball.

And that is one example, there are hundreds more in the books, so what are we talking? A buck or 2 per shot?

Worth the price of admission.

Oh, plus the book is littered with tales of players and the matches that produced the shots.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Both these books are in many libraries. The OP can check out a copy and just steal it. That's one option available for him that he may like. :cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best option, or you could read at the library and take notes maybe. 600 dollars is a lot of cheddar for one book. Better read a bit of it and see if you actually like it, before forking that much over IMHO.

You think it is in a library? Really?
Seriously... I never really thought of it. Bcould it be?

jimmyquinella

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's extremely easy to buy the books, read them, and resell them, possibly even at a profit.

Since you are resisting that perfectly adequate suggestion, what is the point of this thread? A rant against capitalism? LOL...

Maybe a rant against one pocket capitalism?

(Sounds like the money is going into BOTH pockets....heyooooo)

To quote my hero,

"Get some !@#$ cash together" - George Carlin (We miss ya)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kay, never mind.
I guess the poor stay poor and the rich get richer.

I guess I will just write my own book and publish copies for my friends.

Smoldering with poor man's rage,

Lesh

Can't be THAT poor, you have like 4 cues listed in your signature, any of them are close to the price of the book. You don't have 8 hands do you?

There was a comment someone made about the US "poor", he said "The US is the only country where the poor drive their cars to pick up their welfare checks". In most places where you are "poor" you can't afford a car. Or 4 cues.

There is a difference between "poor" and "I can't afford to buy a new iPhone 5 Gold super bling edition" poor.