Corey Deuel's famous draw shot, and other options

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sir. Post #42 was an answer to my post, with no new information as to Corey's intent. Neither my post or Dave's post has any "real information" as to Corey's intent.

Actually, they do. You faintly remember him saying it was a fluke getting that much draw. Dr. Dave remembers something very similar. Now, take what we do know... he obviously hit the shot with low right. So, the Z shot is totally out of the equation. (would have to use low left for the Z shot)

He obviously planned on drawing the cb back. (that, or he wanted to follow and totally screwed up and hit the wrong half of the cb. {not very likely})

Since several remember him saying it was a fluke to get that much draw, and he himself looked surprised by it, it is safe to say he wasn't trying to draw it back that far.

Given the above, wanting to draw, but not all the way back, just where is the only logical place to draw to? Yep, the left side of the table somewhere below the side pocket. He surely was attempting position for a shot on the 5, not to play a safe on himself.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
He didn't get out on that rack either. Don't you hate that when you make a brilliant shot and don't execute the easy stuff to follow? Every time I do something like this in league, my teammates tell me I should stop patting myself on the back so much for making a great shot because all of the patting makes the following shots more difficult. To be clear, I'm not saying this is what happened to Corey, and I am certainly not comparing my league highlight-reel shots to Corey's amazing shots.

Regards,
Dave

What league do you play?

Eric

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, they do. You faintly remember him saying it was a fluke getting that much draw. Dr. Dave remembers something very similar. Now, take what we do know... he obviously hit the shot with low right. So, the Z shot is totally out of the equation. (would have to use low left for the Z shot)

He obviously planned on drawing the cb back. (that, or he wanted to follow and totally screwed up and hit the wrong half of the cb. {not very likely})

Since several remember him saying it was a fluke to get that much draw, and he himself looked surprised by it, it is safe to say he wasn't trying to draw it back that far.

Given the above, wanting to draw, but not all the way back, just where is the only logical place to draw to? Yep, the left side of the table somewhere below the side pocket. He surely was attempting position for a shot on the 5, not to play a safe on himself.

It looked to me like it had a little inside on it. based on how it comes off the rails. I think what happened is he was playing a medium draw shot and was going to just pop across the table and take the tougher shot. But he got super draw because he hit it in that spot where you get more draw than you think on high speed shots - and the table conditions were really slick.

If you haven't played around with that super draw, do so. It seems like a miracle how much draw you can get hitting the CB hard there. 2/3 (my experience) or 80% (Dr. Dave's results) from center CB to the lowest point you can hit without a miscue.

Once I tried that I realized that's why I used to sometimes try to just draw a long shot back a little and ended up yanking it back two table lengths.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video on YouTube:

NV H.6 - Corey Deuel's famous draw shot analyzed by Dr. Dave

Check it out. I attempt Corey's famous shot on my new table and show several easier alternatives. Which shot do you think would be the best (most accurate and consistent) choice for most good players?

Enjoy,
Dave
Thanks, Dave. Nice summary!

Here was my attempt at this shot going on 10 years now! Wow - time flies! I shot it 5 times in a row with a fairly decent success rate. The last shot had good action but the 4-ball went in wonky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhkkoufYn8

I wonder if I could come anywhere close almost a decade later. Guess I'll try tonight!

-td

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
US Open, Can't remember the year but I was there in person.

Does anybody know the year and tournament of the match. I wanted to include this info in the video description, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks,
Dave

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Dave puts up the image blurb of where he's striking the cue ball. Then when he strokes it and doesn't hit where he says he is going to. I find that as asinine as possible for what his intentions are.
Someone had some doucheberry tea this morning

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Could be, I think this was the year Corey won. I am sure someone could find that out.

I was up in the cheap seats that evening near the commentor booth.

I saw Wendy in the crowd, so that's why I was thinking 03 or 04? I think she stopped going with us around that time.

Eric

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looked to me like it had a little inside on it. based on how it comes off the rails. I think what happened is he was playing a medium draw shot and was going to just pop across the table and take the tougher shot. But he got super draw because he hit it in that spot where you get more draw than you think on high speed shots - and the table conditions were really slick.

If you haven't played around with that super draw, do so. It seems like a miracle how much draw you can get hitting the CB hard there. 2/3 (my experience) or 80% (Dr. Dave's results) from center CB to the lowest point you can hit without a miscue.

Once I tried that I realized that's why I used to sometimes try to just draw a long shot back a little and ended up yanking it back two table lengths.

Watch the video again. Watch how the cb comes off the last rail, and what spin it has on it. And, yes, I have known about where to hit the cb for max draw for a number of years now.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know the year and tournament of the match. I wanted to include this info in the video description, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
US Open, Can't remember the year but I was there in person.
I saw Wendy in the crowd, so that's why I was thinking 03 or 04? I think she stopped going with us around that time.
Could be, I think this was the year Corey won. I am sure someone could find that out.
Corey won in 2001 (see US Open results on Wikipedia). Could that have been the year of his shot?

Thanks,
Dave

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thanks, Dave. Nice summary!

Here was my attempt at this shot going on 10 years now! Wow - time flies! I shot it 5 times in a row with a fairly decent success rate. The last shot had good action but the 4-ball went in wonky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhkkoufYn8

I wonder if I could come anywhere close almost a decade later. Guess I'll try tonight!

-td

Nice shooting but this time, move the Measle cue ball back close to the rail instead of on the headstring. ;-)

JoeyA