Cowboy Jimmy Moore - Obviously Using Center to Edge

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
He said, he lays his cue down at the side of the cueball so that the cue doesn't interfere with his vision while aiming. On the final stroke he pushes it through the cueball where he wants to hit it.
When using CTE you pivot to center,I start off on the left side and pivot to center on all shots,Busta starts off on the left side and his tip goes to center.Does your cue interfere with your aiming?IMHO that was just a short answer if it came from Busta

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to see a current champ use CTE, stare at Bustamante for a little while. *rolling my eyes*

Oh yes, Bustamonte. Well, actually I got the chance to watch him *really* close at last year's DCC in the 1pocket event. Our match took two hours (Dango crushes Lou like a ripe grape 3-0) and I got the opportunity to see him stroke from every conceivable angle, and I didn't see no CTE :)

Lou Figueroa
also got the chance to see several of his matches
at the US Open 10-ball last month
albeit, from a distance.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When using CTE you pivot to center,I start off on the left side and pivot to center on all shots,Busta starts off on the left side and his tip goes to center.Does your cue interfere with your aiming?IMHO that was just a short answer if it came from Busta

Right, the Bustamonte thing again.

Funny thing is, when I talked to Hal and he got to the part where he says something like: Watch Bustamonte. He uses my system. I stopped him and asked, "So, Hal. How do you know Bustamonte is using 'your system?' Have you ever asked him?" (I truly believe I was the very first person he had ever spoken to that stopped him to question some of his claims.)

Suddenly there was much sputtering and back peddling and the best he could come up with was: Well, it looks like he might be using the system.

Lou Figueroa

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Oh yes, Bustamonte. Well, actually I got the chance to watch him *really* close at last year's DCC in the 1pocket event. Our match took two hours (Dango crushes Lou like a ripe grape 3-0) and I got the opportunity to see him stroke from every conceivable angle, and I didn't see no CTE :)

Lou Figueroa
Also got the chance to see several of his matches
albeit, from a distance.

So you did not see him approach with his cue to the left side of the cb and then his tip did not go to the center.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
albeit, from a distance.

You would not use cte when you are not shooting at a pocket

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
albeit, from a distance.

Obviously, he rightly thought he could beat you without using CTE (he doesn't want to use an elephant gun to swat a fly). He may also have noticed that you were studying him and trying to steal the brotherhood of pros' secret aiming method. Repeat the experiment after you get to Efren's speed.

Rich Klein
(If Lou is a fly, I'm a gnat - and a style copycat)

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Obviously, he rightly thought he could beat you without using CTE (he doesn't want to use an elephant gun to swat a fly). He may also have noticed that you were studying him and trying to steal the brotherhood of pros' secret aiming method. Repeat the experiment after you get to Efren's speed.

Rich Klein

CTE is for pocketing balls,playing 1p when moving balls around and not shooting at a pocket,not being funny but why would he use a ball pocketing system when not shooting at a pocket

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Bustamante and I discussed it in detail at the million dollar event. He mentioned to me that's how they're taught to play back home.

But, that prob doesn't mean anything. He was probably lying. Lou knows everything anyway. Ladies and gentlemen... whatever Lou says... that's just the way things are.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What exactly did he say?

Francisco, my friend Donny and myself were smoking cigarettes on the back patio behind the pro area at the expo during the event. I said I noticed he always pivots from the left and asked him if he uses center to edge and he said yes--- that's what they're taught from an early age in the Philippines. He said most people graduate from a table pivot but he never did because he's comfortable with it.

I think there have to be parts of what Hal says that must be true. Let's assume CTE is either Ralph's or Hal's system. The video clips I posted are from 1981 or 1982 (which means this technique is old). If Francisco was taught this as a kid - the info must have been passed to someone over there a long time ago by Hal (as he claims) or by someone else closely linked to Greenleaf. We'll likely never know how they learned the system. This Cowboy Jimmy Moore video is the earliest video of someone pivoting I've seen. There might be older ones, but I haven't seen them. I'm nearly 100% convinced it was an American-invented system--- so they had to get the info somehow.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.. I said I noticed he always pivots from the left and asked him if he uses center to edge and he said yes--- that's what they're taught from an early age in the Philippines. He said most people graduate from a table pivot but he never did because he's comfortable with it.
What did he mean by "center to edge?" The reason I ask is that we can't seem to agree here on what it means after a great deal of discussion, so I wonder how you achieved understanding with him in brief conversation. What does "table pivot" mean?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What did he mean by "center to edge?" The reason I ask is that we can't seem to agree here on what it means after a great deal of discussion, so I wonder how you achieved understanding with him in brief conversation. What does "table pivot" mean?

Well Bob, it's like this... I can talk to a total stranger and have an instant understanding on a topic that interests both parties; however, when talking to a few pool analysts on azb there's never an understanding.

If you don't know what a table pivot is, I can't help you.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What does "table pivot" mean?

Bob -- A table pivot is part of Hal Houle's CTE method. After a sighting from the center of the CB to the edge of the OB, the bridge hand is placed on the table with the stick offset from the center of the CB, and then the tip is pivoted back to the center of the CB. This is a mechanical, on-the-table pivot.

This contrasts with an off-the-table pivot, an "air pivot," that is part of Stan Shuffett's Pro-One adaptation of Hal's CTE method.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rich Klein

lol. Perhaps true, though it did feel good to wrestle with him three games over a two hour time period.

Lou Figueroa
actually scored more games
(2-4)
off Efren

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bustamante and I discussed it in detail at the million dollar event. He mentioned to me that's how they're taught to play back home.

But, that prob doesn't mean anything. He was probably lying. Lou knows everything anyway. Ladies and gentlemen... whatever Lou says... that's just the way things are.

What, specifically, did he say?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Bob, it's like this... I can talk to a total stranger and have an instant understanding on a topic that interests both parties; however, when talking to a few pool analysts on azb there's never an understanding.

If you don't know what a table pivot is, I can't help you.

wow...

Hope that tech document you've been giving birth to forever is a little more forth coming than that.

Lou Figueroa

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
wow...

Hope that tech document you've been giving birth to forever is a little more forth coming than that.

Lou Figueroa

Well, it's a pretty thorough doc. Over 75 pages of copy and diagrams. I think I'm making good headway considering I'm busy with other things.