CSI Predator US Pro Series-LAS VEGAS OPEN (23-26 March 2022), 9ft, $125K Prizemoney, 192 players

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Irrespective of how you get there, it sucks dinkey docks to win more games and be loser.
Did you watch the match dude? It looked to me like he really didn't care. That other kid dogged his brains out and still got there.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you watch the match dude? It looked to me like he really didn't care. That other kid dogged his brains out and still got there.
I did see it but none of the shootout.

I don't think Shane has looked like he cares for a couple years, but I always thought he had a bit of a nonchalant demeanor at the table anyway.

9 and 10 b with template rack is a joke for these guys, imo. I can see why it bores a man after a while.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did see it but none of the shootout.

I don't think Shane has looked like he cares for a couple years, but I always thought he had a bit of a nonchalant demeanor at the table anyway.

9 and 10 b with template rack is a joke for these guys, imo. I can see why it bores a man after a while.
It's a joke for me too. Super funny that I can't run out!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... 9 and 10 b with template rack is a joke for these guys, imo. I can see why it bores a man after a while.
But for this event, they are not using a template. And the B&R percentage through 75 games on the main streaming table so far is 8% (a total of 6 B&Rs in 7 matches).

I'm sure the B&R% will improve later. In the first two events in this series this year, it was 16% and 21% in the streamed matches.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I entered spectating the match prepared for a similar mindset. But watching the it I saw Shane win 4-1 then lose 4-3. So he was put in a shootout when he would have been up 7-5. And he missed his first shot and they both held serve from there on out to lose true shootout 4-3.

He didn’t play like it’s 2012. He missed some shots and shapes that we would have taken for granted a decade ago. But I wouldn’t have said he looked checked out. He simply is a legend past his apex still playing top level pool and the format didn’t do him any favors.

But looking at his eyes… He seemed in it to win it. He looked hungry.
He was up one set and 3-1 in the second set and then missed a 10 ball down the rail. I haven’t spent a ton of time watching him But he looks beat down to me.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He was up one set and 3-1 in the second set and then missed a 10 ball down the rail. I haven’t spent a ton of time watching him But he looks beat down to me.
??? The only 10-ball SVB missed against Souto was in the first game of the second set. He later trailed 1-3 in that set before losing it at hill/hill.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??? The only 10-ball SVB missed against Souto was in the first game of the second set. He later trailed 1-3 in that set before losing it at hill/hill.
Also worth noting he missed it into the rail, toward the corner where balls were rolling off toward the rail. But to be fair, he did hit it hard enough that roll off probably wasn’t a factor on that shot. It was a tough cut that I would’ve called him a favorite for 10 years ago.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But for this event, they are not using a template. And the B&R percentage through 75 games on the main streaming table so far is 8% (a total of 6 B&Rs in 7 matches).

I'm sure the B&R% will improve later. In the first two events in this series this year, it was 16% and 21% in the streamed matches.
Right...didn't mean to imply my comments were solely regarding the alfalfa tournament.

They were referring to what I've seen in pro pool over the last couple of years, coupled with data collected in my basement.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, it is the fact that these 800+ Fargos can all win a big event and unless you have the kind of fire one sees in the early years- currently gorst/ filler, past svb/ Appleton/ Mika, etc...- players quickly realize the mental and financial resources might not be worth it.

It is play, but it is a tough row to hoe.to be a pool pro, you know?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, it is the fact that these 800+ Fargos can all win a big event and unless you have the kind of fire one sees in the early years- currently gorst/ filler, past svb/ Appleton/ Mika, etc...- players quickly realize the mental and financial resources might not be worth it.

It is play, but it is a tough row to hoe.to be a pool pro, you know?

most at that level (800+) have good sponsorship and they often finish in the money. i'm more worried for those a bit lower on the ranking who don't have that but still have the ambition

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Right...didn't mean to imply my comments were solely regarding the alfalfa tournament.

They were referring to what I've seen in pro pool over the last couple of years, coupled with data collected in my basement.
I've got a hunch that data from your basement would be pretty good. :)

Scrunge19

Registered
I’ve been surprised at how much tinkering they have had to do with the predator tables at this event. I’ve noticed them leveling tables every day that I’ve been here, often multiple tables and multiple times a day. The levels they were using were typical carpenter style levels as well, not the really fancy ones you typically see employed.

On a different note, several of the refs I talked to said the predator racks are terrible. It was taking minutes at a time for the refs to rack the balls some games. Has to be frustrating for all parties involved.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most at that level (800+) have good sponsorship and they often finish in the money. i'm more worried for those a bit lower on the ranking who don't have that but still have the ambition
I don't know about sponsored pros making all that much. They don't demand that much until they are successful, then even being a 5x us open champ isnt a guarantee of a paycheck.

I wonder how many top-level players out there are making more than $€40,000/ yr frrom a single sponsor...

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm quite impressed by this endeavor by predator/CSI, the production is good, it's streamed free, they got a lot of things right. and if they up the prize money then matchroom's gonna have to do the same. the format has been flogged enough on this forum and elsewhere..

the commentator box badly needs a pro player / retired pro. the british guy is quite ok as a color commentator but the other guy isn't much of a conversateur so it becomes rather awkward when he pokes him. but hey it's free..