Cue coreing

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering coring out the butt end of my cue, for weight reduction. The cue is solid wood to the butt cap,( no weight bolt), and weighs about 21oz., so I'd like take out enough wood to make the weight +/- 19oz. The only tools I have to work with is a hand drill. The cue isn't real expensive, but I don't want to mess it up either. Do you think it can be a DIY fix? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eddie

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The fact that you're asking for help suggests that it's not DIY doesn't it ?
Now, can it be done ? Possibly but I doubt with any accuracy. Cheap cue; it better be.
So far you have a cheerleader and a realist. The Unicorn will be along shortly.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering coring out the butt end of my cue, for weight reduction. The cue is solid wood to the butt cap,( no weight bolt), and weighs about 21oz., so I'd like take out enough wood to make the weight +/- 19oz. The only tools I have to work with is a hand drill. The cue isn't real expensive, but I don't want to mess it up either. Do you think it can be a DIY fix? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eddie
Sell it and buy a 19oz cue!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I my experience.......... you won't even get close to 2 oz weight reduction......... and you will probably ruin the cue.

Kim

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
Shorten the cue 2 inches! If you shorten it from the butt end you might get 2oz :) Unicorn has landed...

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To know roughly how much weight you can drill out you have to decide first what the wood is you will be drilling out. Then how large is the hole going through the butt plate? That lets you decide how large of bit you can use. Then you have to decide how you are going to drill that hole straight and centered? It will not be easy to do by hand.
Taking it to someone that has a lathe and the long bits is good advice. Just be prepared to live with what will most likely be around a one ounce or maybe a little more than that reduction. Also be aware that it will make your cue more likely to warp in the future.

So I guess I am in the realist camp also.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,
Eddie

Is this your Palmer?

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the suggestions, and comments. That's the reason I ask in the forum, there was a lot of information I never would of thought of, well until it would've been to late.
Thanks so much to All.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. The Palmer (for me) isn't a playing cue. It would need some work to make a playing cue, but I wouldn't go that far, I don't think

Glad to hear that.

I shoot with my Palmers daily, or almost daily.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I am embarrassed to say I have no idea what you are talking about...

I want you to drill out a butt in an attempt to lighten it.......... you will see that you don't lighten it any appreciable amount............

I have tried it and I was surprised on how little weight was removed.

kim

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I want you to drill out a butt in an attempt to lighten it.......... you will see that you don't lighten it any appreciable amount............

I have tried it and I was surprised on how little weight was removed.

kim

I was trying to reinforce what you are saying, not dispute it. I thought knowing that you'd have to cut out half a shaft worth of wood would help him understand easier.