Cue, ivory or stainless

bigjr

Registered
hope this is the right place for this im new here so for give me if its not. I have only been playing now for around a year, I would like some input on thoughts about ivory or stainless
joints on a cue?. I currently have a schon with a stainless joint but got to play with a cue
that has an ivory joint I like it better, the owner told about ivory cracking an costly to get it
repaird an really don't know how long that will last, where stainless will never do that,i just don't want to spend a lot of money on a cue with ivory if down the line it will cost more,
thanks folks for any thoughts

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
hope this is the right place for this im new here so for give me if its not. I have only been playing now for around a year, I would like some input on thoughts about ivory or stainless
joints on a cue?. I currently have a schon with a stainless joint but got to play with a cue
that has an ivory joint I like it better, the owner told about ivory cracking an costly to get it
repaird an really don't know how long that will last, where stainless will never do that,i just don't want to spend a lot of money on a cue with ivory if down the line it will cost more,
thanks folks for any thoughts

Phenolic all the way baby.

This is a Sima Cue from JJCue:
sima-3-joint-10T.jpg

Lesh

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
keep what you have
especially if money is an issue
the ivory looking stuff plays about the same
but so does steel

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have a number of ivory jointed cues, some are over 20 years old. Never had a problem with a cracked joint. Does the possibility of the joint crack exists, it sure does. A little care in keeping the cue at a constant temperature can help keeping this from happening.

Get what you want, Ivory, Phenolic, Steel. If the cue is constructed well, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don`t think you need to worry.
Get the cue, enjoy it and should you be so unlucky as to break the ivory joint, replace with ivorine, juma or any of the other synthetic options out there.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I have an ivory joint on my playing cue and recently discovered a crack. I'm going to replace it with ivorine only because it's my daily player.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Who builds the cue, and how they build the cue has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more to do with how it will play, than what type of joint it has.

Play a bunch of cues, buy the one you like best.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I really like Schon cues, here's my answer. Go to the top of this page, click on AZB Marketplace, click shafts, Schon, Ivory. Buy a genuine ivory ferrule Schon shaft. You now have an extra shaft and the best of both worlds. Ivory and S/S all on one cue.

Plus you have supported a sponsor who is known to be trustworthy. Win, win. Even the custom cue makers here admit to the quality of Schon cues.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
There is no elephant grave yard where people go to harvest ivory..........
Yes the ivory you buy for your cue came from an elephant that was shot
Ivory is expensive and sometimes will crack
You cannot take the cue out of the country

SS joints tend to deaden the hit and feel of the cue
I think they look cheap

There are many excellent materials to use for joints that are better feeling and better looking than SS and that are more reliable and less expensive than ivory............

Kim

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like some input on thoughts about ivory or stainless
joints on a cue?.

95%-98% of the performance of the cue is in the last 6 inches of the shaft. The rest is for show. The joint make no fundamental difference, except to alter the balance of the cue.

Me, I happen to like a cue that is not very nose heavy. The tip end of the shaft just resting on my index finger under my bridging finger. All metal and ivory joints tend to add nose wieght to the cue whereas a <small> steel threaded wood-wood joint adds as little as possible. You milage will vary.

Rasputin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory is a deal breaker for me.

I completely agree with this but I don't agree with the previous poster stating that you should stay with what you have.

The joint material has a minimal effect on how a cue plays. It's balance and taper all the way. And if you for some reason think that the joint matters, there are other possibilities, phenolic and wood-to-wood and so on.

But if you were to find a particular cue which you happen to like and it has an ivory joint, I would say go for it, even though I am against the use of ivory.