Cue maker signatures

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
E bay has been full of counterfeits from the onset- there was a guy in upstate NY- one with wood working skills- who was making and selling wooden game boards that were supposedly carried by soldiers during the civil war of 1861-5. He brokered them out to a few select e bay sellers in on the con and they were successful. I knew one of his brokers.

I suspect cues have been counterfeited in more ways than one - either the traditionally unsigned variety like Bushka ( I think I have seen more LOAs on Bushka cues than the population of Brooklyn NY ) any competent cue maker can take a Bushka LOA and make a cue look exactly like it- just talking the cue specs outlined in the LOA . Also, as mentioned the engraved logos etc. are also counterfeited- buyer beware!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
E bay has been full of counterfeits from the onset- there was a guy in upstate NY- one with wood working skills- who was making and selling wooden game boards that were supposedly carried by soldiers during the civil war of 1861-5. He brokered them out to a few select e bay sellers in on the con and they were successful. I knew one of his brokers.

I suspect cues have been counterfeited in more ways than one - either the traditionally unsigned variety like Bushka ( I think I have seen more LOAs on Bushka cues than the population of Brooklyn NY ) any competent cue maker can take a Bushka LOA and make a cue look exactly like it- just talking the cue specs outlined in the LOA . Also, as mentioned the engraved logos etc. are also counterfeited- buyer beware!
Do you buy second hand custom cues? If so, how do you try to protect yourself from a counterfeit?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Well everyone signature is unique, be it readable, or not, it is their signature. I personally think all Cuemakes should sign if its pretty, readable or not. My reason is simple, it it the marker mark that is difficult to counterfit.

Many Cuemaker just engrave the butt cap, with a logo, design, or a single letter like Dennis Searing. Very easy to copy if you have engraving machine, and skill to use.

Yes people do counterfeit, and sell counterfeits, don't believe me. Check E-bay, how many times has someone saon in a post warning there is a Ciunterfit ________, on E-bay beware.

People from the Middle East write backwards, it what they do, start from the right side of Pades and writing left in thei r launguage. They do same when singing their names. Strange to watch em write in reverse.
Dennis signs his cues, no idea what you're talking about.

Nobody is counterfeiting Searings

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Dennis signs his cues, no idea what you're talking about.

Nobody is counterfeiting Searings

Well I have newer seen a Searing in person, so let say I mentioned Dennis's "S", because it is how he Marks & Engraves the Cue Butts of his Cues, some Cuemaker do not sign they just engrave the Butt with Logo, Initials.

Then you have Cuemaker who work, style, or ringwork is so unique you know who Cue it is. Ted Harris of Maryland, now Florida did not sign his Cues, just used and engraved Logo. Mike Lambros who Cues I have seen, just Engraves Lambros on the Butt Caps.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Well I have newer seen a Searing in person, so let say I mentioned Dennis's "S", because it is how he Marks & Engraves the Cue Butts of his Cues, some Cuemaker do not sign they just engrave the Butt with Logo, Initials.

Then you have Cuemaker who work, style, or ringwork is so unique you know who Cue it is. Ted Harris of Maryland, now Florida did not sign his Cues, just used and engraved Logo. Mike Lambros who Cues I have seen, just Engraves Lambros on the Butt Caps.
No one is counterfeiting a Searing. If they can duplicate one, they might as well sign their own name and sell for as much money

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
No one is counterfeiting a Searing. If they can duplicate one, they might as well sign their own name and sell for as much money

Well a Cue is no better then the person holding it. Like I said if a Cuemaker signs the Cue is is tougher to make a Kopy Kat. Sou twoest use a unique Pin, the Pin is engraves to protect the brand.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Well a Cue is no better then the person holding it. Like I said if a Cuemaker signs the Cue is is tougher to make a Kopy Kat. Sou twoest use a unique Pin, the Pin is engraves to protect the brand.

No, a Searing is better than you. It doesn't matter who holds the best machining and build quality in the world

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
New seen one in person so I can not comment on that, a Searing. Have seen some great Cue, but like I said the great playing make em Magic Cues IMHO.

Kind of like rifles, or pistols, even a so so one shoot great in a great marksmenship hands.

Scrunge19

Registered
Are there any cue makers whose signatures/logos really turn you off? I have a few I dislike. For production cues, it's Predator:

If Predator would make some of their cues without the logo, I think they would look better. Without the logo, the cue could still be identified as a Predator cue by the bumper, which has a more subtle Predator logo stamped into it.

I dislike the way Mezz puts the model number on some of their cues:

Overall, I think the Mezz EC-9 looks really nice, but the ring with the model number ruins the cue for me.
I agree with you completely on both points. In my opinion, Predator's overuse of their logo causes that to be the focal point of the cue rather than the wood, design, craftsmanship, etc. But it seems like people go crazy for their products so I guess I must hold a minority viewpoint when it comes to their designs.

Mezz is my production cue of choice and I agree with you that the white rings on the EC9 kind of killed the look. I was in the market for a new Mezz earlier this year and ended up buying an EC7 instead because it doesn't have those white rings and only uses says Mezz Cues on the buttcap.

Mezz and Predator are a lot alike when it comes to their break cues though. Plastering the brand and model names in large letters all over the cue is a staple for both of them. That's really the main reason why I haven't ended up purchasing a Mezz break cue yet. I just don't feel the need to be a walking billboard for someone who isn't paying me.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you buy second hand custom cues? If so, how do you try to protect yourself from a counterfeit?
Yes I do and I try to buy only from reputable people that either I know or have been vetted one way or another - however, it is always buyer beware- check your sources as much as possible. I would NOT buy a high end cue such as a Bushka or Szamboti with having it RE- authenticated by a trusted source- an old piece of paper means nothing until it is re-verified together with the item being represented- when we are talking $$$ many thousands.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Are you ever right about anything? Of course Ted Harris signs his cues and he doesn't live in Florida.

Put that Shovel down son.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I had my last four cues made with the date added.
Each of my cues used a birthday that was one of my children.

Their bdays are Feb. & April coinciding with these cue completions.
IMO, a signature plus date (4-24-16) in small script adds a bit of style.

Both Bob & Jerry signed the forearm where it wasn’t very conspicuous.
I also feel that it helps to clearly establish the cue’s provenance & period.

Hopefully my cues will be around for my kids’ kids. I just became a grandpa.
So when my grandson plays with a cue in 2050, he’ll know his grandpa had
it built exactly that way and when. Hopefully his kids will get to use it as well.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
One of the main reasons I just sold my Jensen cue. Mike's signature was a turn-off from the day I received it. And, why add quotes around a date? ("2019")

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my favorites. small, simple and consistent.

Attachments

• 20170608112903-912a7cc8-me.jpg
    20170608112903-912a7cc8-me.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 91
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170607102327-3a8e6ce6-me.jpg
    20170607102327-3a8e6ce6-me.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 88
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 099b50f1a993ea8c8490d7c79db12c31.jpg
    099b50f1a993ea8c8490d7c79db12c31.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 108

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a fake signature on a Predator LE Willie:

pred_sig.jpeg

For some reason, I don't seem to mind that one. I must like the style of the handwriting.