Cuemaker history

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
And how about hanger bolts?

This matter was explained by Thomas Wayne.
Bushka used phenolic in the " A-joint" and used that screw b/c his lathes' spindle were not big enough to hold the butts inside .
So, he used a steady rest and used that phenolic "buzz" ring as necessity to enforce the joint with that double screw which he found at a local hardware store.

There are so many legends and myths in cue making, I think.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
greyghost;6283703....floaters were never were never to my tastes but superb work and original designs none the less [/QUOTE said:
I have enough floaters in my eyes.

Don't need any on my pool cues.

I never was a fan of floating points, either.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This matter was explained by Thomas Wayne.

Bushka used phenolic in the " A-joint" and used that screw b/c his lathes' spindle were not big enough to hold the butts inside .

So, he used a steady rest and used that phenolic "buzz" ring as necessity to enforce the joint with that double screw which he found at a local hardware store.

There are so many legends and myths in cue making, I think.

And I saw that lineage chart years ago.

And somehow I ended up under two makers in the chart. Both my late mentors ended up in the chart .

One was under Tad and one was under Bert Schrager . Both Tad and Bert were under Martin's lineage.

I think that chart should stop after Tad and Schrager .

Thanks figured that’s what was meant by hanger bolt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think vignaux style should be a definite class/subclass

If I’m not mistaken that technique came before the Berger (point splice)

So it’s older than aiming system talk hahahaha roll snare drum

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been lucky to have been able to measure examine and even x-ray quite a few old school builders cues.
I have only owned two cues made by Chicago cue builder Eddie Laube.
I re-tipped all three of the original Laube shafts myself. Each shaft was center drilled and foam filled to reduce end mass.
Essentially the same technique that Predator cues used 30 or so years later.
Laube placed his brass pin in the shaft, similar to many early Brunswick models.
I think Laube was an innovator in attempting to reduce shaft end mass.

Eddie

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I think he gets that recognition from the informed, but I know what you mean. I do remember a time when folks spoke of joes work sort of how we hear them speak on searing for example these days.....extremely precise work and very clean.....floaters were never were never to my tastes but superb work and original designs none the less

I think that kind of thing would be a subcategory tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good post, floating points for me is like turquoise anywhere on a cue...just not my cup of tea. Joeys work was and is as good as Dennis’. I almost mentioned Joey in my first post. Who did the first box cue? That’s an element that should for sure have a historical impact on cuemakers to present. A few guys way back in the day were making their own pointed blanks but since they were also using the veneered titlist cues they can’t be credited with that design, only the addition of their trademark rings, inlays and materials.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been lucky to have been able to measure examine and even x-ray quite a few old school builders cues.
I have only owned two cues made by Chicago cue builder Eddie Laube.
I re-tipped all three of the original Laube shafts myself. Each shaft was center drilled and foam filled to reduce end mass.
Essentially the same technique that Predator cues used 30 or so years later.
Laube placed his brass pin in the shaft, similar to many early Brunswick models.
I think Laube was an innovator in attempting to reduce shaft end mass.

Eddie

Would you happen to still have the x-rays?

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some who are more knowledgeable than I, have taken issue with that tree. You might want to contact the living cuemakers to ask their opinions.

Type79, is right - Some who are more knowledgeable than I, have taken issue with that tree. But it was a start and always changing!

Here a link to 13 pages on the "cuemaker tree" of H. Martin and its discussion https://forums.azbilliards.com/threadloom.php?query="cuemaker tree"&tab=540

Again anyone and all have my permission to use this tree.

Bob Watson AZ Member billiardshot

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Type79, is right - Some who are more knowledgeable than I, have taken issue with that tree. But it was a start and always changing!

Here a link to 13 pages on the "cuemaker tree" of H. Martin and its discussion https://forums.azbilliards.com/threadloom.php?query="cuemaker tree"&tab=540

Again anyone and all have my permission to use this tree.

Bob Watson AZ Member billiardshot

I don’t mean to pooh pooh the hard work, but because there are errors in these trees, a lot of people will go forward and spread the untruth like wildfire. And I don’t think that’s good for cuemaking.

Just one man’s opinion.

Freddie <~~~ Can’t see the trees through the forest

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,
Been think about how we got to where we currently are with cue design.
To my knowledge there are two different styles of cues;
1) Balabushka style
2) DPK style

I’m sure there are other cue styles, but those two stand out as vastly different in most ways.

Does anyone have a graph on who learned from who?

Though it would be cool to discuss the different cue types we have available to us today and how we got to this point.

JCM

I'd say Martin/Rambow leading to West coast/East coast, with some crossover, of course.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
this is some cool info not necessarily about the craftsmen

Verl Horn bought 2 of the original lathes that Viking had in their factory, Verl sold those lathes to Joel Weinstock (first cue mentor of mine not counting Dennis cueniversity) Joel sold them at one point to Mike Betts (silky cues) got them back, then sold them to Eddie Farris (Farris) then got them back....this is when i started working with Joel in mid 2000's....late 2000's he sold them to Ken Quarters whom owned the Cue Spot in Tulsa....

Kens now passed and he didn't make very many cues but repaired many.....He was a life long engineer in the oil field and designed many down hole valves etc.....told me he wanted to finally build and make things people could see. Was real salt of the earth man with a soft and kind demeanor and is missed by anyone who knew him.

Joel even hired DPK at one point so David worked on those lathes as well.....

Far as i know the lathes are still in the cuespot.

Good side not on Ken Quarters, last time i seen him he was ridden to a little scooter after a stroke...and still every day he was up at his family oriented pool hall. He told me his lawyer said "ken your very wealthy why not go to a high class retirement home and relax"......Ken responed "all my friends are here and i love this game and place.....what the hell am i gonna do at a retirement home". They didn't make many like him ;)

-Keeb

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Its rapidly approaching.... the misinformation is an assassination on accurate history and integrity. The "facts" I have seen posted are an abomination.

JV

I don’t mean to pooh pooh the hard work, but because there are errors in these trees, a lot of people will go forward and spread the untruth like wildfire. And I don’t think that’s good for cuemaking.

Just one man’s opinion.

Freddie <~~~ Can’t see the trees through the forest

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I'd say Martin/Rambow leading to West coast/East coast, with some crossover, of course.

Rambow is not East Coast... I believe Rambow was nationwide. I believe he had the Brunswick house players to thank for that, Willie, Jimmy etc.. Chicago, would not constitute the E.C. Paradise / Bushka were the east coast heavies for a good 10-15 year span...

JV

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Its rapidly approaching.... the misinformation is an assassination on accurate history and integrity. The "facts" I have seen posted are an abomination.

JV

Then don’t be indifferent and speak truth hand!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I'd call them inlays rather than points, imho
Jason

Floating points are just that. Like triangle style, they convey movement towards the tip of the cue. An aesthetic element that "point" forward conveying a promise of force and shot direction.

Whether spliced or inlaid they are both for the same purpose and are both points.

That said there are cues that are inlaid in the forearm that I agree are not points but just a different look.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Floating points are just that. Like triangle style, they convey movement towards the tip of the cue. An aesthetic element that "point" forward conveying a promise of force and shot direction.

Whether spliced or inlaid they are both for the same purpose and are both points.

That said there are cues that are inlaid in the forearm that I agree are not points but just a different look.

Spliced points purpose were not for aesthetics. Crock of Bullwinkle

The Berger and the vignaux were done as such because it gave maximum gluing surface between the different woods.

I’m surprised to hear you say something completely ridiculous and false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro