Cues for sale with the previous owner's name engraved...would you buy one?

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a few of these here & there and, while some have looked like appealing cues, I just couldn't see myself buying & playing with a cue with someone else's name on it. Unless, the price was just right and/or the name could be easily removed...or it was a collectible.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't want another's name on a cue I was buying...

Which is a dilemma, coz I have a buddy who makes cues and he has been threatening to make me one for a while, now he tells me it is almost done and I have been thinking of asking him to personalize it somehow.

Guess I should just keep that silliness to myself.

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Joss made with my name engraved on the joint. I know no one will want to buy it now . Unless i will a world championship. Looks like im stuck with it....

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
.....nope.....

or, maybe I'm saying that to keep you away from the one for sale, hmmmm :cool:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't want one. Maybe if it was a famous player or a very old antique but otherwise, no thanks. Same thing with cases, I see these personalized cases people try to sell and they don't seem to move, for good reason. I have a custom case on order and there was no additional charge for personalization but I passed partly because it just isn't my style and partly because I know it would ruin resale if I ever needed to sell it, even though I certainly don't plan to.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If You Truly Like Your Cue a Lot, Then Why Not Show It?

Unless you intend to sell the cue, and with most of my cues that's never going to happen, go with initials. It's not overkill and nonetheless still personalizes your cue. The one on my Runde Schon is unique and I asked Bob O. & Jerry R. to use initials, even on the next two cues. These are my cues and I do not intend to ever sell them. The designs are a mutual collaboration with my cue-makers & there are none like them so I branded my cues.

When I'm gone, my kids will explain this was one of their dad's cues he designed......I think that's cool two ways.........1st, it was just a terrific experience to do something like this. 2nd, it reminds my kids it's was their dad's. So whenever someone might inquire what the MMB initials stand for, my kids get to tell how this was one of my dad's custom cues....genuine 1 of 1 cues..... & maybe talk about how much I enjoyed the game of pool.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Engraved Butt Sleeve.jpg
    Engraved Butt Sleeve.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 777
  • Propellor Cue Butt Sleeve.jpg
    Propellor Cue Butt Sleeve.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 759
  • Butt Sleeve (initials).jpg
    Butt Sleeve (initials).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 780

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If it's a Kersenbrock with J. Franklin then I might be happy to take it off your hands.:grin:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Mostly no, but there are exceptions. I know a former road player from Baltimore that has a group of handmade Joss cues all made custom for him that have "Sweeper Man" engraved on the butt caps. He calls them his "Ladies". I'd make an exception with those cues, some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Peoples name s engraved in a cue

Normally lowers the value in less the person is famous.
Perfect for the player who wants a great shooting cue for allot less money and doesn't care about who name is in it.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues for sale with the previous owner's name engraved...would you buy one?

I would if I liked the way it plays and if it's a price that's reasonable to me.

Keith

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Normally lowers the value in less the person is famous.
Perfect for the player who wants a great shooting cue for allot less money and doesn't care about who name is in it.

OR the maker is famous...Szamboti or Balabushka. In these cases It's more desirable to me because It proves provenance. Gives the cue a "face" and potentially a traceable story. Collectors of anything have a tendency to pay a premium if they know the history of an item...

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much does it cost to legally change your name? Discount the cue by that much and go with it.

I read once that someone in SE Minnesota changed his name to Six Pack, since that is what everyone called him.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name of a famous/HoF player on a cue is no assurance that the cue was ever a personal playing cue for that player. You would need secondary confirmation.

I wouldn't pay extra for a cue that was owned by a HoF player. I was told that I owned one. But I didn't pay extra and the cue did not sell for a premium because of the rumored prior ownership. I really wouldn't want a cue with someone else's name written on the butt. The price on a personalized cue would need to be reduced by enough to cover having the name removed.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you intend to sell the cue, and with most of my cues that's never going to happen, go with initials. It's not overkill and nonetheless still personalizes your cue. The one on my Runde Schon is unique and I asked Bob O. & Jerry R. to use initials, even on the next two cues. These are my cues and I do not intend to ever sell them. The designs are a mutual collaboration with my cue-makers & there are none like them so I branded my cues.

When I'm gone, my kids will explain this was one of their dad's cues he designed......I think that's cool two ways.........1st, it was just a terrific experience to do something like this. 2nd, it reminds my kids it's was their dad's. So whenever someone might inquire what the MMB initials stand for, my kids get to tell how this was one of my dad's custom cues....genuine 1 of 1 cues..... & maybe talk about how much I enjoyed the game of pool.

Matt B.

That I do find tasteful and if you don't ever plan to sell, a cool idea! I wouldn't mind my initials on my Runde nice and small like that, it's a cue I don't plan on ever getting rid of.

What is that bottom cue? Love the butt sleeve on that!

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I think players at some time in their life when buying custom cue think it is really custom or more personalized to have their name or intials on it. They may not think that they will ever sell it. Intials are fine and may not be too bad spending on the intilals. If you name is William Thomas Franklin it would be something that could just be a statement.

I was at a tournament and seen some get their case autographed. The next day when going back I was walking out of the house with my case. My wife asked why I was taking it and I told her to get it autographed. She said that would be crazy to ruin such a nice case. It is the old original style German tooled Instroke case. I am glad that she stopped me.

I have a Gina and it has my intials on it and I don't think it takes away any value in fact I think if they weren't there the cue would be worth less. Ernie's puts my intials on all of his cues because that is his logo.

🎱

Last edited:

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it depends completely on the cue. I wouldn't ever hesitate with initials, but a full engraved name might cause me to hesitate, depending on the tastefulness.

On the flip side, as a guy who takes his cues out to play, any unique identifiers on your cue are a good thing if anything happened to it.