Cues that play similar to Southwest Cues

Iwishiwasrich

yea, i saw that one. nice looking cue, but does the general pool fan have 30k?? i mean doesn't a production cue company make more sense?
I don't know if I could walk around with that cue in my case and not be worried about getting robbed. 30k for a playing cue,it sure looks nice. I would love to hit a ball or 2 with it. For the record I play the same with my $350 joss as I do with my $2300 Carmelli. That Carmelli hits sweet though and is real nice to look at.. I've played with a southwest and while it was a very nice cue,it was not for me.

MachineGunKelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No
How so?

Every Sw I've seen wobbles. Not true for any other brand. Hell, the fifth cue I ever made doesn't wobble even after 27 years.

They are mass produced. They may not make a ton of them, but they are built on an assembly line.

'junk' is, admittedly, an opinion.
Not sure how you say they are mass produced. Your cues are also "built" or assembled on an assembly line. Every cue on the planet is.

DeeDeeCues

No

Not sure how you say they are mass produced. Your cues are also "built" or assembled on an assembly line. Every cue on the planet is.

Not really. I have one guy doing everything on my cues. They have...more than one. But that isn't necessarily better.

As I've said, I consider SW cues horrible because they don't roll true and they feel clumsy to me.

DeeDeeCues

Are there any videos or articles on this? I'm curious how it would compare to videos I've seen of McDermott and Adam, for instance.

Too true. It's one of the first things I look at. It's funny, in some way.

I'm not aware of any videos, but I have heard numbers of employees at different times through the years.

dendweller

I don't know if I could walk around with that cue in my case and not be worried about getting robbed. 30k for a playing cue,it sure looks nice. I would love to hit a ball or 2 with it. For the record I play the same with my $350 joss as I do with my $2300 Carmelli. That Carmelli hits sweet though and is real nice to look at.. I've played with a southwest and while it was a very nice cue,it was not for me.
I'd be thinking I needed to pack up my cue to go to the men's room, that would suck.

Reactions: hax

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought Joe Gold's Cognescenti cues had a similar feel to a Southwest.

As far as what constitutes a good hitting cue, all I can say is different strokes for different folks. That is why so many cuemakers thrive today, and they make a wide range of cue styles, shapes, materials and hits. You just have to pick the one that works (or feels right) to you. That's about it in a nutshell.

There have only been a few cues that I know of that everyone seemed to like. Tad for one and then maybe Tascarella, JW and Szamboti's. And I'm sure there are others now, and some people won't like any of them. ;)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard Omen cues play similar to Southwests, also I think Cokers and Howard’s. I’ve never seen a Southwest in person And have not tried any of the builders I’ve heard compared. Curious if any Southwest owners feel another cue they have tried is similar. Obviously DPK cues don’t need to be mentioned In comparison.
On page three of the thread and no one asked this....

If you never handled or actually played with a Southwest, how do you know you want an alternative that plays similar?

There is the possibility you won't like it at all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

SW's are made in a small house in a non-descript neighborhood in Vegas. they have a few employees, much like Schon. some people think that a 'custom' cue must be made in a cave in a dark scary forest by a cue-making wizard. even small one man shops use modern building/assembly techniques. tonkin's shop looks like a aerospace/F1 car factory. ernie's is big for a one man shop too.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd be thinking I needed to pack up my cue to go to the men's room, that would suck.
We had a guy at the pool hall here in Harrisburg that had a nice collection of Scruggs/SW/etc and would take his cues with him into the bathroom when he had to go.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i think taiwan has the lowest crime rate in the world, or close to it. but still, a 30k cue is insane to travel around with.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SW's are made in a small house in a non-descript neighborhood in Vegas. they have a few employees, much like Schon. some people think that a 'custom' cue must be made in a cave in a dark scary forest by a cue-making wizard. even small one man shops use modern building/assembly techniques. tonkin's shop looks like a aerospace/F1 car factory. ernie's is big for a one man shop too.

And Schon looks nothing like an F1 factory, haha. It looks way more like what you'd imagine a small one man shop looking like and there are only a handful of people there. For as popular as Schon is I'm guessing their facility is much more hands on and "custom" than most people would imagine. Haven't been there in a few years but I doubt a lot has changed.