Cutting a South West in half!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
You know

There is a cue maker who actually Slit a SW straight down the center !

Tom Coker says he bought a SW cue and cut it down the center to see how it was made so he could copy a SW .

Only issue Is Coker cues do not the same taper .

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Wow... this thread is actually a revelation for me. So that's how you can salvage a warped butt? Chop the handle out and replace it to where its straight? THat's..... that's genius. So simple and I didn't even think of it. Not that I repair cues or make them, but that's so awesome. I have a McDermott D-19 that is warped from being shipped around the world in god knows what kind of conditions while I was in the Army. Perhaps this can save it?

Thanks Guys.

I am gonna call up McDermott and see if they can even entertain this. If not, I will sneak up on Randy Mobley or someone else local.

Lesh

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
What's the point in doing this?

I was hoping he'd go long ways across, not this.

Per the YOUTUBE video description...

"This Southwest Cue had a slight warp in the gripwood. I fixed it by replacing the gripwood. The video is my friend and fellow cuemaker, Josh Treadway cutting the cue in half. This is the first step in replacing the gripwood. I let Josh cut it in half because I know he appreciates quality cues, and I knew he would have mixed emotions while he made the cut. This Southwest cue is now straight, and is a quality cue once again."

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a cue maker who actually Slit a SW straight down the center !

Tom Coker says he bought a SW cue and cut it down the center to see how it was made so he could copy a SW .

Only issue Is Coker cues do not the same taper .
That sounds like a terrible waste of money. Why didn't he just have an xray taken of the cue?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds like a terrible waste of money. Why didn't he just have an xray taken of the cue?

Does the average individual have opportunity to stick a cue in an xray machine?. I never thought about it...?

I hve a cue that bent a bit in butt, up by the joint. It got cut and a specialized feurrle+ tip, now it is a jump/ break cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the average individual have opportunity to stick a cue in an xray machine?. I never thought about it...?

I hve a cue that bent a bit in butt, up by the joint. It got cut and a specialized feurrle+ tip, now it is a jump/ break cue.

Yes you can book time for that, you might not come high on the priority list, but it's possible :)

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
The warped part

Wow... this thread is actually a revelation for me. So that's how you can salvage a warped butt? Chop the handle out and replace it to where its straight? THat's..... that's genius. So simple and I didn't even think of it. Not that I repair cues or make them, but that's so awesome. I have a McDermott D-19 that is warped from being shipped around the world in god knows what kind of conditions while I was in the Army. Perhaps this can save it?

Thanks Guys.

I am gonna call up McDermott and see if they can even entertain this. If not, I will sneak up on Randy Mobley or someone else local.

Lesh

Only if the cues handle is warped ..........
If the warp is in the forearm, that part of the cue might not be able to be straighten out without replacing the whole forearm section.

If the cue is warped say 0.060 ( 60 thousands ) then you will have to remove 120 thousands from the cues forearm .... at that point, the forearm OD is way to small at the joint.

Not all repairs are as simple as replacing the handle and some times its a bear getting the forearm centered again .

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I have no doubt about that. I would have 100% confidence in Josh or Jim with this type of repair. But still...it hurt me a little watching Josh cut it in half, lol.

Very involved repair for sure. Ryan theewan at mueller did a similar repair for me on a runde schon. The result was outstanding. I could have played it as it was, but I received a perfect repair and like the cue better now. I bet the owner of the SW feels the same way.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks Guys.

Lesh

Would be interested to see or find out how it turns out with Randy Mobley should he decide to repair this.:shocked:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Would be interested to see or find out how it turns out with Randy Mobley should he decide to repair this.:shocked:

I doubt Randy will take the job since he is currently cranking out billion dollar cues for people with more money than skill... It will likely be Frankie Doodle or Bill Dunsmore "Chicken Man".... he's everywhere, he's everywhere.

Lesh

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little embarrassed...

...to admit that when I stopped playing pool back in the early 70's I left my plain jane Gina leaning against the wall in a cheap, nylon case with no support on the top shelf in a closet.

35-40 years later I take a look at it and am sick that it's bent, really bent.

I get the courage to take it to Ernie and ask him if he can fix it. He raises his eyebrows, shakes his head and rubs his hands several times up and down along the length of the butt and says he need to cut it to tell me.

It's pretty much worthless as it is so I say ok and he cuts off the wrap, walks over to the band saw and cuts it at the top and bottom of where the wrap was just like the video posted by the OP.

I'd been away from the game for many years and wasn't sure what his shop would be like, foolishly thinking he might have a bunch of cues on a wall ready for instant sale (LOL) but I do ask if he has anything readily available. He laughs and politely says no but he has a customer who's unhappy because the cue he ordered is taking too long to finish. The guy is calling every week and Ernie's a little annoyed so he tells me I can have the guys cue and he'll send the guy his money back with the money I give him. I have no idea what it is but say sure and write him a check for the cue and my repair.

Three months later he calls and says my cues are ready. He's replaced the wood in the grip area, refinished the forearm, turned the butt so it's white as snow, new shaft and wrap and it's like a new cue.

Here's a picture of Ernie from around that time holding my original cue, the 14B I lucked into and the abalone merry widow he made for Junksecret that eventually ended up on Ebay that I picked up as well.

So yes, you can cut some cues in half with a happy ending.

Best to you all
Tony C

Attachments

• 2013-10-12_11-24-19_996.jpg
    2013-10-12_11-24-19_996.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 468

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine, who I consider a top tier cue maker, has been fixing SW this way for quite some time and I don't think the cues are any worse off for it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine, who I consider a top tier cue maker, has been fixing SW this way for quite some time and I don't think the cues are any worse off for it.

So if that's the case I'm sure they have no problem disclosing that if they plan to sell it right